What to know about Exeter before going there

Watch this thread
ewpfs
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’m planning on accepting my offer for Politics at Exeter today. I’ve done all my research, but is there anything from a current/past students experience that you think I should know?
Anonymous #1
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ewpfs)
I’m planning on accepting my offer for Politics at Exeter today. I’ve done all my research, but is there anything from a current/past students experience that you think I should know?
Don’t go there but heard it’s rah central. Heaven if you’re a hardcore Boris fan like
beneficialgirl
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
I go to uni of Exeter and I’m from London. It’s very shocking at first because it’s extremely white - it isn’t diverse AT ALL. And the very, VERY few minorities groups you see usually stick together. Lot of tories too, I had a couple of flatmates that were in the Young Conservative society. But I’ve had a good experience there tbf, just wish it was a bit more diverse.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by beneficialgirl)
I go to uni of Exeter and I’m from London. It’s very shocking at first because it’s extremely white - it isn’t diverse AT ALL. And the very, VERY few minorities groups you see usually stick together. Lot of tories too, I had a couple of flatmates that were in the Young Conservative society. But I’ve had a good experience there tbf, just wish it was a bit more diverse.
Sounds like hell hahah
ewpfs
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’m very left wing - would you say it’s not worth going there if you’re not a Tory?
emilye82827
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ewpfs)
I’m very left wing - would you say it’s not worth going there if you’re not a Tory?
You shouldn't let that impact your decision at all as the Uni being full of Tories is a stereotype and having different opinions won't mean you get treated any different. Yes - they uni has one of the highest numbers of students that came from private education but the quality and standard of the uni should be the thing you consider the most.
beneficialgirl
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ewpfs)
No I’m not saying that, I’ve found a group of friends that aren’t tories plus the course I take which is English and intersects with politics and history course mostly aren’t tories, (my lecturers even joke about how they don’t like tories). The tories are more in the law and business courses (from my experience). Overall, I really love the uni and I do enjoy the teaching and my experience. I’m just saying if you really, really care about going to a diverse uni with lots of people from different cultural backgrounds (or if you’re a minority that cares about being the 5%) it isn’t the place to go. There’s no racism but as a person from the city it’s a bit shocking how almost everyone is white. And just because there’s some tories, a few of my flatmates were tories, I still got on with them very well and they are my friends.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ewpfs)
My advice - don’t. No access to social activity, societies banned from meeting in person and in active online, sports clubs banned, parties banned, just not a fun time to be alive. I reckon the uni won’t be back to normal for years and years.
MatthewAteYou
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ewpfs)
(third year PPE here...)

I'd say look at the modules and think, what sort of things am I interested in and what sort of things may I be interested in? If you can look at all three years and find things you think will interest you then amazing! Things will probably change as your tastes and interests differ, but it's something worth thinking about!

I'm really happy with the course. The uni has a 'rah' stereotype, but that's only true if you hang out with those people. Especially for politics I've found, it's SUCH a mix of ideas. Additionally, the lectures are mostly left-wing but they never force/alienate students who have a difference of opinion / ideology.

The university can improve in some areas (diversity mainly), but they're slowly slowly getting better.... same with some academic areas, for example, third year modules are capped at 25 people per module which is great if you get on it but no so great if it's a popular module.
myye
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I'm probably going to put Exeter as my firm choice, I'm from London too but I was wondering how difficult it is to find and make friends with other people from London, or just people who aren't tories, and if it really is a major culture shock.
Trinculo
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by myye)
I'm probably going to put Exeter as my firm choice, I'm from London too but I was wondering how difficult it is to find and make friends with other people from London, or just people who aren't tories, and if it really is a major culture shock.
When they say "most people are Tories" what they really mean is about 1 in 20 people show any kind of political interest. Sure, lots of people will be from the South East, of which many of them will be from London - but that's not really the point of university. If you wanted to hang around with other people from London, you should have stayed in London.

A lot of these things get hyped up as jokes. It's all a bit of fun really. You say "what should I know before I go to Exeter?" and you get advice like "always hold a champagne flute by the stem" etc. It's not meant to be taken seriously. Just as if you're going to SOAS, there's no reason to believe that tomorrow you'll be surrounded by black left-handed lesbians selling non-GM saffron in the student union.

But make no mistake - if you go to one of these universities and you read Art History (or Visual Communication or whatever its called there) and join the Rowing Club and apply to live in Holland Hall - why on earth would you think you're not going to be surrounded by public schoolers?
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by myye)
My experience - it’s impossible to meet friends. I’ve been at Exeter for a year now and am more alone than ever. Reports at the moment suggest that social opportunities in September will be limited - this is the issue, as in my September, even if bars etc are open it is still REALLY hard to meet people if societies are banned. Don’t go.
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
My experience - it’s impossible to meet friends. I’ve been at Exeter for a year now and am more alone than ever. Reports at the moment suggest that social opportunities in September will be limited - this is the issue, as in my September, even if bars etc are open it is still REALLY hard to meet people if societies are banned. Don’t go.
That's not because Exeter in particular isn't conducive to making friends, it's because you're spending your first year of university under pandemic restrictions
beneficialgirl
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by myye)
There are plenty of other people from London, I thought everyone would be from London and thought I’d only end up making friends from london but my entire friendship group isn’t from London and they are NOT tories. Not from London doesn’t mean they’re automatically tories, one of my flatmates was from Kent and was a Tory (she was the closest one to London). I’m not saying you won’t meet any tories because that would be cap. And it is a bit of culture shock if you aren’t use to everyone being white.
beneficialgirl
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Trinculo)
When they say "most people are Tories" what they really mean is about 1 in 20 people show any kind of political interest. Sure, lots of people will be from the South East, of which many of them will be from London - but that's not really the point of university. If you wanted to hang around with other people from London, you should have stayed in London.

A lot of these things get hyped up as jokes. It's all a bit of fun really. You say "what should I know before I go to Exeter?" and you get advice like "always hold a champagne flute by the stem" etc. It's not meant to be taken seriously. Just as if you're going to SOAS, there's no reason to believe that tomorrow you'll be surrounded by black left-handed lesbians selling non-GM saffron in the student union.

But make no mistake - if you go to one of these universities and you read Art History (or Visual Communication or whatever its called there) and join the Rowing Club and apply to live in Holland Hall - why on earth would you think you're not going to be surrounded by public schoolers?
You’re quite right, except you’ll be shocked by how many people really are political it’s really like 1 in 3 if I’m being honest - most are highly political.
username5341416
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I go to Exe & study Politics, let me know if you have any specific questions I'd be happy to answer
username5341416
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
also that anon poster has been bashing Exeter on every single forum I've seen. Clearly they had a bad experience but this can be a case for individuals at any uni, especially with pandemic added into it
throwaway456444
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Sinnoh)
That's not because Exeter in particular isn't conducive to making friends, it's because you're spending your first year of university under pandemic restrictions
I'm not sure that's a fair characterisation. If you compare club/society online activity with that of other universities there's a stark difference.

And there must be some way they could have structured a system where we could meet some of our coursemates online. It's not like distance learning was recently invented.
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ewpfs)
Its not right wing ... no uni is. I love the way people post wrong facts anon ... very brave of them ..
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Why post anon - clearly not true
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (51)
30.36%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (74)
44.05%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (41)
24.4%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
1.19%

Watched Threads