Over 400,000 crime records could be affected by police computer error

Watch
Final Fantasy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by DiddyDec)
Given the NHS is still running XP you can see how **** ups like this happen. Gov contracts are lucrative because they are more than happy to spaff away public money since they don't have a bottom line to worry about.
From what I hear, it's a lot easier to get a government contract if you've got the relevant clearance - more so than skillset - i.e. SC or DV clearance is usually needed due to sensitive data you'd be working with. It looks like they build a system, it gets scrapped, someone else comes along to repeat. Now recently the government also decided to **** on the contractor community (IR35 I think it was) so it's probably all over the place atm. Yeah no one should be using XP or IE6/7 either, maybe used in some third world countries still, but it's just mental still being used here and doesn't help with staff sharing passwords all over the place. The whole password based system if flawed as will, we're heading more towards verifying identity with face/fingerprint and 2FA or just swiping a security key - passwords are a flaw only now recently being addressed.
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Final Fantasy)
From what I hear, it's a lot easier to get a government contract if you've got the relevant clearance - more so than skillset - i.e. SC or DV clearance is usually needed due to sensitive data you'd be working with. It looks like they build a system, it gets scrapped, someone else comes along to repeat. Now recently the government also decided to **** on the contractor community (IR35 I think it was) so it's probably all over the place atm. Yeah no one should be using XP or IE6/7 either, maybe used in some third world countries still, but it's just mental still being used here and doesn't help with staff sharing passwords all over the place. The whole password based system if flawed as will, we're heading more towards verifying identity with face/fingerprint and 2FA or just swiping a security key - passwords are a flaw only now recently being addressed.
IR 35 came in 20 years ago, some say after HMG got pissed off over the Millennium (Y2K) bug that contractors cashed in ruthlessly.

IT infrastructure is horrendously expensive. The NHS has 1.3 milliion +employees. Simply replacing an operating system is not as simple as it sounds. The target platforms must be capable of supporting the new software. Application software and data must be migrated without loss never mind in-house bespoke software across scores of platforms, then data cleansing, mission critical testing, security testing, staff training, training the trainers, Help Desk support.........the list is endless.

The cost run's into the £10's billions and takes years of planning and contracts to achieve.

Makes rolling out a vaccine programme look like a walk in the park.
Last edited by uberteknik; 1 month ago
Final Fantasy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by uberteknik)
IR 35 came in 20 years ago, some say after HMG got pissed off over the Millennium (Y2K) bug that contractors cashed in ruthlessly.

IT infrastructure is horrendously expensive. The NHS has 1.3 milliion +employees. Simply replacing an operating system is not as simple as it sounds. The target platforms must be capable of supporting the new software. Application software and data must be migrated without loss never mind in-house bespoke software across scores of platforms, then data cleansing, mission critical testing, security testing, staff training, training the trainers, Help Desk support.........the list is endless.

The cost run's into the £10's billions and takes years of planning and contracts to achieve.

Makes rolling out a vaccine programme look like a walk in the park.
It's insane how much the government spends vs how much private businesses make use of achieving the same results far more cost effective lol. I know a lot of contractors just do the SC/DV clearance contracts purely for the money.
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Final Fantasy)
It's insane how much the government spends vs how much private businesses make use of achieving the same results far more cost effective lol. I know a lot of contractors just do the SC/DV clearance contracts purely for the money.
I know. It's not uncommon for a contractor to be paid £500 to £1000/day and for the Big Five consultancy partners to be charged out at £2,500 / day. During the planning through implementation phases, hundreds of contractors may be employed.

Then you have trying to convince 600+ Primary Care Trust CEO's to pay for it when they know they can do it locally for far less. Thus is when the whole system becomes fragmented because there is no national standards to which all must adhere and be held to account.

Worse, finance 'ring fenced' for IT is siphoned off to fund staff pay increases or other 'creative ways' of solving pressing accounting anomalies.
Last edited by uberteknik; 1 month ago
iNeed2p
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Human error my a***. It’s either has been done deliberately or they’re doing it in tactical way to crack down culprits who are hiding and they find it hard to find. How an earth can government lose criminals records of almost half million people? I don’t buy it.
Last edited by iNeed2p; 1 month ago
Captain Haddock
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I guess Little Bobby Tables turned to a life of crime.
DanB1991
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by uberteknik)
I know. It's not uncommon for a contractor to be paid £500 to £1000/day and for the Big Five consultancy partners to be charged out at £2,500 / day. During the planning through implementation phases, hundreds of contractors may be employed.

Then you have trying to convince 600+ Primary Care Trust CEO's to pay for it when they know they can do it locally for far less. Thus is when the whole system becomes fragmented because there is no national standards to which all must adhere and be held to account.

Worse, finance 'ring fenced' for IT is siphoned off to fund staff pay increases or other 'creative ways' of solving pressing accounting anomalies.
Oh god this reminds me of the fiasco at the Leicester city trust where they brought £35 million worth of server PC's.... and they weren't compatible with the code use by the trust's servers.

So in the end it was cheaper to replace the machines than change the code.... and that was just for 3 hospitals in a single city!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (63)
12.6%
Virtual campus tours/open days (117)
23.4%
Live streaming events (45)
9%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (49)
9.8%
A uni comparison tool (115)
23%
An in-person event when available (111)
22.2%