My parents can afford but will not pay for my university

Watch
Fred10
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I have an offer from the university of Warwick but although my parents are in the top 1% of earners they will not pay for it. What can I do because I still want to go there?
kev23s
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Fred10)
I have an offer from the university of Warwick but although my parents are in the top 1% of earners they will not pay for it. What can I do because I still want to go there?
student loan ????
GabiAbi84
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Are you applying for student loans?
username5581402
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I think it is because they believe in loans.
nikk09
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by yeye21)
I think it is because they believe in loans.
it’s because OP’s parents earn that much OP doesn’t qualify for a student loan (or one that will fund uni expenses)
nikk09
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
My friend is in the exact same position as you and as a result had to apply to unis close to home and stay at home. Will they not support you at all?
username5581402
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by nikk09)
it’s because OP’s parents earn that much OP doesn’t qualify for a student loan (or one that will fund uni expenses)
anyone can qualify for a student loan, it's just that you would qualify for the minimum levels
Fred10
Rep:
?
Well I said I didn’t need one on my ucas application because they said they would but now they have said they won’t.
nikk09
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by yeye21)
anyone can qualify for a student loan, it's just that you would qualify for the minimum levels

Look you're 11 so I get that you don't understand how this system works
i put that in brackets? I’m 18 but cheers
Gaddafi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
You're not going to get much of a maintenance loan. Ask Warwick if you can defer a year and live at whilst you work and save up?

Alternatively get a job in the summer. If you're fit and healthy you can work 80-90 hours a week and could save up about £9,000 in 3 months with a minimum wage job.
Last edited by Gaddafi; 8 months ago
Fred10
Rep:
?
(Original post by shak101)
You're not going to get much of a maintenance loan. Ask Warwick if you can defer a year and live at whilst you work and save up?
Yeh I guess I could do that but there’s no way I’m going to be able to cover the cost just working for a year
Interea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Yeh I guess I could do that but there’s no way I’m going to be able to cover the cost just working for a year
The cheapest accommodation at Warwick would cost you £3080 for the year, and you'd be entitled to about £4200 in student loans, so you'd be fine if you just worked a bit to give you a bit more of a safety net.
nikk09
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
are there any scholarships/ bursaries you might qualify for?
Gaddafi
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I edited my comment just before you posted this. You can save about £9,000 in 3 months. If you work 80 hrs a week. But if you take a year off you can work at a slower pace.

Also, you will get a full loan for your tuition fees (you can still apply for that.) It's only your maintenance costs. You can save £20,000-£25,000 if you live a year at home and don't have to contribute to household expenses. Looking at the costs of accommodation none of that seems necessary though as you should be able to work on the side.
Last edited by Gaddafi; 8 months ago
Gaddafi
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Interea)
The cheapest accommodation at Warwick would cost you £3080 for the year, and you'd be entitled to about £4200 in student loans, so you'd be fine if you just worked a bit to give you a bit more of a safety net.
Damn that's well cheap. I assume this accommodation isn't great though?
Interea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Damn that's well cheap. I assume this accommodation isn't great though?
https://warwick.ac.uk/services/accom...on/whitefields Not too bad surprisingly
Joinedup
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Pay for what? uk resident students get a loan to fully cover the uni tuition fees regardless of the household income...

The loan that reduces with increasing household income is the maintainance loan which is for living expenses apart from the tuition fees. High income parents aren't expected to pay uni tuition fees but they are expected help with your living costs.
Fred10
Rep:
?
I edited my comment just before you posted this. You can save about £9,000 in 3 months. If you work 80 hrs a week. But if you take a year off you can work at a slower pace.

Also, you will get a full loan for your tuition fees (you can still apply for that.) It's only your maintenance costs. You can save £20,000-£25,000 if you live a year at home and don't have to contribute to household expenses. Looking at the costs of accommodation none of that seems necessary though as you should be able to work on the side.
Thank you very much. I have around £5,000 in savings so it seems that I could make it work. Thank you to everyone who commented!
emileeeei
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Thank you very much. I have around £5,000 in savings so it seems that I could make it work. Thank you to everyone who commented!
thats more than enough - youre eligible for 4000 maintenance loan and you have 5000 - thats 9,000 for the first year, s so you only need to save 5000 per year whilst studying to have 9000 every year of your course (the loan is per year)
Hugh's Swan
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Also you can go into overdraft on your bank account interest free if you are desperate - its not recommended for getting into too much debt but I think many higher income parents would end up paying some of that off rather than the interest on it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (9)
12.86%
I need help researching courses (5)
7.14%
I need help with filling out the application form (4)
5.71%
I need help with my personal statement (29)
41.43%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (18)
25.71%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.86%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
4.29%

Watched Threads