The Student Room Group

Dentisty in Ireland for a UK student

Hi Im in year 13 from the Uk and was wondering how id go about applying to dentistry in the republic of Ireland like cork or trinity college Dublin.
If anyone can help me finding the requirements and how to do it it would be appreciated.I emailed the universities but all i got back were automated responses that weren't helpful.
You have to apply through CAO at www.cao.ie

Entry is entirely based on the points you achieve at a-level. Last year required 613 out of a maximum of 625 points, so very difficult to get into.

What subjects are you studying and what grades expected?
Reply 2
Original post by magicmark1
You have to apply through CAO at www.cao.ie

Entry is entirely based on the points you achieve at a-level. Last year required 613 out of a maximum of 625 points, so very difficult to get into.

What subjects are you studying and what grades expected?

Im doing Chemistry, Biology and Economics and am predicted AAA is this enough?

Do they use GCSEs at all or aptitude tests like the UCAT?
Reply 3
Oh wow guess that isnt an option :/
Reply 4
Do they put the requirements saying that if so could you please send me the page cannot find it anywhere
No, they don’t count anything for GCSE. Those grades will get 156 points each, so 468 points. I’m afraid that wouldn’t be enough.

For maximum points, you’d need to get 185 per A*, giving a total of 555. Then there is an additional 25 points available for a maths a level of any grade and another 45 points available for an A* in a 4th a level.

I don’t think they count UCAT.
Reply 6
No, they don’t count anything for GCSE. Those grades will get 156 points each, so 468 points. I’m afraid that wouldn’t be enough.

For maximum points, you’d need to get 185 per A*, giving a total of 555. Then there is an additional 25 points available for a maths a level of any grade and another 45 points available for an A* in a 4th a level.

I don’t think they count UCAT.

Thank you for your help
Is this for all Irish Universities?
Yes. All applications are through CAO for the universities in Ireland. For Northern Irish universities you’d apply through UCAS.
Reply 8
Yes. All applications are through CAO for the universities in Ireland. For Northern Irish universities you’d apply through UCAS.

Okay thank you for your help guess Ireland wont be an option for me :/
Reply 9
Is IB 37 points enough for TCD dentistry
Original post by Zebra1962
Is IB 37 points enough for TCD dentistry

Sorry, unfortunately not. Dentistry required 625 CAO points for entry this year (and usually every year). You would need 45 in the IB, including higher level maths to achieve this. See pages 95 and 96 in the document below.

https://www2.cao.ie/downloads/documents/Guidelines-EU-EFTA.pdf
Reply 11
Original post by omar200329
Okay thank you for your help guess Ireland wont be an option for me :/

That is soo interesting. Extremely difficult for a uk student to study dentistry in Ireland then.

Quick Reply

Latest