This discussion is closed.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Final Fantasy)
What's wrong with Amazon?
Nothing, it's just the current favourite boogey man, along with the other FAAMG companies :lol:
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ma406712)
i'm trying to argue against your argument as you are the originator of this thread, which is why i asked you to provide the links. if i can read your quotes in context then i can assess your argument and whether it's worth anything.
- You can simply copy the quote and paste it into a search engine yourself.

again, do governments in poorer countries lose lots of money through tax avoidance from their own citizens or from citizens who live overseas?
- Both.

asking because obviously if one pays or avoids taxes in the UK, for instance, and don't earn income in African countries then they don't owe or avoid taxes in African countries; hence the problem for African countries is local citizens and local corruption - not international citizens who have no responsibility there.
- “International citizens who have no responsibility”. This is exactly what is wrong with the world, the belief that we are not, in part, responsible for helping people less privileged. It's humanity. If we are going to shrug off our responsibilities as ethical consumers with regards to corporate tax evaders which, contrary to what you might think, does exacerbate human suffering, or companies that we know are destroying the planet, what does that say about us as human beings?

how do poorer countries lose money from tax avoidance from multi-nationals as you suggest? your quotes don't explain it.
- Less money in the pot means less money for international development / foreign aid and charities that, thankfully, are of the opinion that we all have a responsibility to help those less privileged (as well as them helping themselves of course) That’s what makes us (decent) human beings isn’t it?

i asked you about Greece because this would be an example of other countries bailing out a country who desperately needed it largely because of tax avoidance.
- Are you saying that you think that Africa’s problems stem largely from its citizens not paying what they should be paying in taxes?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-33479946

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.was...outputType=amp

if a country is in crisis then because of local corruption, in your view, it's cuz of tax avoidance overseas?
- No and I don’t recall saying that I did. My point is that corporate tax avoidance by some of the biggest, wealthiest and most powerful businesses on the planet contributes massively to global poverty. It is not the only contributing factor but it is a factor. That is not my opinion, it is the opinion of economic experts and as experts, of which neither, I presume, of us are, I believe that they know better than most what they are talking about.

again, you assume if billionaires avoided tax in America it would solve international problems. but foreign aid is not based on dollar or pound amount; it's based on politics and percentage of the national budget.
- No, that is what you assume I think but you have misinterpreted what I have said and you are wrong. I believe that when certain governments have more money (which they would have if everyone paid their fair share, nothing more, nothing less, in taxes) they would increase their foreign aid. There would also be more money available, in the form of grants, to charities that use their position of privilege to support people that are less privileged. When any country is doing less well financially, one of the first things to go is foreign aid as they need to look after their own citizens first. As things improve financially, it stands to reason that more money will be available for foreign aid ‘cause for the best part, most people want to do something to stop people from suffering and dying from preventable diseases.

if you want more foreign aid you would have to address the percentage handed out to foreign aid from the budget and who decides that. still, a local government is not going to put the needs of others countries before their own.
- Do you honestly believe that if everyone paid their fair share in taxes, if there was billions more in the pot every year that millions of people would still die from preventable diseases?
i'm responding to you as the originator of this thread and therefore your argument to make - it's not my job to research your sources. why this is a problem for you to prove your argument i assume because it doesn't back it up at all.

again, how do 'multi-nationals' affect poorer countries(?). yes please provide something i can read off of.

yes, i am assuming that if the problem is tax avoidance it's because of local citizens tax avoidance, as proof in Greece, and not those overseas. how have you come to that conclusion that it's because overseas?
Last edited by Joleee; 1 month ago
Final Fantasy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Napp)
Nothing, it's just the current favourite boogey man, along with the other FAAMG companies :lol:
I've been using them for over a decade tbh, has made my own life a hell of a lot easier anyway. A lot cheaper than other places too, and always arrives on time. Never had issues with their service either, apparently I'm a "valued" customer - maybe they got scores on each customer profile or something lol.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Final Fantasy)
I've been using them for over a decade tbh, has made my own life a hell of a lot easier anyway. A lot cheaper than other places too, and always arrives on time. Never had issues with their service either, apparently I'm a "valued" customer - maybe they got scores on each customer profile or something lol.
Aye same theyre damn handy, even if they did take the highstreet shops out back and shoot them :lol: Alas we dont have it over here in NZL
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (62)
12.89%
Virtual campus tours/open days (112)
23.28%
Live streaming events (44)
9.15%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (46)
9.56%
A uni comparison tool (109)
22.66%
An in-person event when available (108)
22.45%