How many hours of sleep do you need to feel truly refreshed? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by teamvillage)
Hence the reason teenagers are loathed to get out of bed perhaps?
Wierd... i've never had much of a problem getting out of bed, but i guess thats just me.
Muse
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by joesharp)
yes, most teenagers need around 12-13 hours, not that I ever get anywhere near that mch.
that's not right, over 12 hours sleep is usually bad for you. 8 hours is a reasonable amount, any more and your body may start getting sluggish and you'll settle into a routine of staying in bed for long periods of time.

i sleep for around 5 hours every night and am perfectly comfortable with that *cough* freak *cough*
Slice'N'Dice
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by imasillynarb)
I need 12 to feel truely refreshed.
:dito:
Pencil
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
When I have a good night's sleep, I get really tired during the day. I can't concentrate, I'm lazy and can't think properly.

When I have a bad night's sleep, my legs ache for the rest of the morning. However, I can concentrate, work fast and think strait.

It's weird.
musicbloke
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I need 4 at most
Zapsta
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Iluvatar)
Does it?
2 AM is before midnight, thats a fact, not a philosophetic (is that a word?) statement.
It depends what day you're talking about :rolleyes:
kikzen
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
its wierd but it seems to vary sometimes.

for example, if im feeling particularly refreshed one night i can go to sleep at midnight, wake up at 7 and be totally 100% clear (no just-woken-up feeling at all).

other times, i can go to bed at 10 and not wake up till 12 (but still feel quite sleepy when i wake up)
need_money
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I need 12 to be totally refreshed but i can make do with about 6 or 7 hours sleep to get me through the day. Just.
alro
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
oo a good 20 hours id say. well not really i've got chronic insomnia so i can normally make do with just a couple. permamently tired though! oh sweet sleep come back to me!
Onearmedbandit
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
(Original post by need_money)
I need 12 to be totally refreshed but i can make do with about 6 or 7 hours sleep to get me through the day. Just.
...says the girl who's always staying up till what... 1 or 2am on a schoolnight? :p:
caffecooki
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
we did this in psychology and apparently it varies immensely from person to person. even if you've done loads on one day, you may only need less than someone that's done nothing. i personally need 8-10 hours sleep a night which is loads otherwise i get tired, frustrated and stressed :p:
happydinosaur
Report 14 years ago
I seem to automatically wake up and feel refreshed after about 10 hours. I often wish I could get away with less life would be so much easier
ThunderCat8
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I don't think I've ever slept for longer than 10 hours in my life. If I wake up and look at the clock and see anything after 10am, it makes me think that I'm being disgusting and slobbish, and I immediately wake up fully. I can't understand people who stay in bed until 2pm or later even. Sometimes I wish I could sleep longer, as I am so tired, even with 10hours of sleep. Last night I got 5 hours sleep as I had to get up at 5:45am for work. I am tired right now and could quite easily go to bed!

Isn't sleeping strange...
James.R
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
u can sleep too long though, and make yourself feel tired to some extent....
Sparkey
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I need 12-14 hours sleep, I never get it though
SsEe
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
On school days I usually go to bed at 1am and get up at 8am and I feel like death until about 11am. So clearly more than 7 hours. The annoying thing is that even if I go to bed at about 10pm I still find it impossibly hard to get up at 8am and I still feel crap in the morning.

During holidays I find that I sleep about 11 - 12 hours. Any more and I have a bad headache and stuff. I also wake up about 4 times every night and I never remember my dreams. So I need about 11 hours sleep but then I need to be awake for about 15 hours before I need sleep so my sleep cycle always ends up badly out of synch. Hence may many posts on here at 5am.

Even if I do get enough sleep I always have heavy eyes with bags under them. And it sucks. My body seems to get the energy to stay awake but not enough to make me feel refreshed. After typing this I've started to wonder if I have serious sleep problems.
curryADD
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Onearmedbandit)
While I was at work (where I would be now but for the craziness of the whole operation but that's another thread) I would often get bored when it wasn't busy and read the Daily Mail's Encyclopedias which we had under the counter.

I recall reading in there that the average person needs between 6 & 8 hours of sleep to feel refreshed. However for me... I still feel tired even after 8 hours of sleep Why is this? Could it be that going to bed at 2am hoping to wake at 10 just doesn't work as well as 11pm-7am? And why can't I be one of the peeople who only need 6 hours Is there anything I can do to help me need less sleep? Cheers :hello:
I need at least twelve. and so do most others at my school...of course since the school district has realized that starting school later makes MORE sense they have decided not to do it. thus...

I get five hours of sleep per night.
Mushu
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by SsEe)
On school days I usually go to bed at 1am and get up at 8am and I feel like death until about 11am. So clearly more than 7 hours. The annoying thing is that even if I go to bed at about 10pm I still find it impossibly hard to get up at 8am and I still feel crap in the morning.

During holidays I find that I sleep about 11 - 12 hours. Any more and I have a bad headache and stuff. I also wake up about 4 times every night and I never remember my dreams. So I need about 11 hours sleep but then I need to be awake for about 15 hours before I need sleep so my sleep cycle always ends up badly out of synch. Hence may many posts on here at 5am.

Even if I do get enough sleep I always have heavy eyes with bags under them. And it sucks. My body seems to get the energy to stay awake but not enough to make me feel refreshed. After typing this I've started to wonder if I have serious sleep problems.
I need 11 hours...but even after getting my 11 hours I always look tired with bags and crap...everyone is always like 'you didnt get much sleep did you/you look tired' when I'm not...so I'm always saying 'yer i'm tired' :hmpf:
Mushu
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by elf_429)
I need at least twelve. and so do most others at my school...of course since the school district has realized that starting school later makes MORE sense they have decided not to do it. thus...

I get five hours of sleep per night.
I think I would collapse with that little sleep... :eek: how do you survive!
curryADD
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by littlemisshala)
I think I would collapse with that little sleep... :eek: how do you survive!
I become delirious....

example: today in chemistry I was so tired I fell off my lab stool AND laughed throughout the whole entire class. the next period (french) I fell asleep. the NEXT period I got a splitting headache (welcome to AP history) then Dance which I was miserable through...

then math and computer apps. OH...and BTW now I'm sick, have a fever 3 degrees above normal farenheit and incredibly miserable. school sucks!

but the ADMINISTRATION DOES NOT HEAR OUR CRIES OF PAIN! :mad:
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (132)
46.48%
Pro-humanity (152)
53.52%

Watched Threads