25.81%
>5000 (13)
41.94%
Ben2021uni
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
random question, how much do u guys have saved or have access to. i'll be starting uni this year and wonder how much you guys have saved to start uni
C_sullivan
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ben2021uni)
random question, how much do u guys have saved or have access to. i'll be starting uni this year and wonder how much you guys have saved to start uni
😳😳people are saving money?? I have £35 to my name 😂 September will be interesting!
Ben2021uni
Rep:
?
(Original post by C_sullivan)
😳😳people are saving money?? I have £35 to my name 😂 September will be interesting!
Haha not specifically for uni but I just usually save what I get especially in lockdown😂😅 hoping to get a part time job soon as well
C_sullivan
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Haha not specifically for uni but I just usually save what I get especially in lockdown😂😅 hoping to get a part time job soon as well
Ah fairs I had 2 part time jobs alongside sixth form before lockdown number 1. I was offered to go back to working in a pub just before Xmas but got cancelled before I even had a shift 😂 hard times getting work in a pandemic ig
Ben2021uni
Rep:
?
(Original post by C_sullivan)
Ah fairs I had 2 part time jobs alongside sixth form before lockdown number 1. I was offered to go back to working in a pub just before Xmas but got cancelled before I even had a shift 😂 hard times getting work in a pandemic ig
Ah that’s so annoying! I was lucky enough to get a job at Tesco when schools shut in March but it was just temporary. Now I’m through to the 3rd interview for a new job, so pretty excited about that😁
C_sullivan
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ah that’s so annoying! I was lucky enough to get a job at Tesco when schools shut in March but it was just temporary. Now I’m through to the 3rd interview for a new job, so pretty excited about that😁
That’s great!! Definitely jealous 😂 none of the supermarkets here want me but maybe I’m just better at cafes and bars 😂 good luck with your job!
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Although I don't go to university, I have saved a good sum of money, maybe because I am not studying. :rolleyes:
Sophiebxx
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I can’t get a job in my town - partially because of Covid, but mainly because it’s so small yet overpopulated! So, I’m going to have to rely on the child trust fund thing the government set up for a few years
Last edited by Sophiebxx; 1 month ago
Ben2021uni
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sophiebxx)
I can’t get a job in my town - partially because of Covid, but mainly because it’s so small yet overpopulated! So, I’m going to have to rely on the child trust fund thing the government set up for a few years
I just remembered about that today! Sent a thing away to find out where the account is so I can access it 😂
Sophiebxx
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I just remembered about that today! Sent a thing away to find out where the account is so I can access it 😂
I had a card sent by the company about 3 months after my 18th Birthday
Final Fantasy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I used to save up around £2K - £4K a week when I was contracting. Nowadays, I just put aside £500 a month i.e. £6000 a year. The rest goes towards outgoings and other costs.
username2301217
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Final Fantasy)
I used to save up around £2K - £4K a week when I was contracting. Nowadays, I just put aside £500 a month i.e. £6000 a year. The rest goes towards outgoings and other costs.
Wow that is impressive. How did you manage to do that? Contracting as in building works?

Personally I save £200 to 300/week but it's through delivery work around college. Once I'm qualified as a mechanic I'll be raking in the cash like there's no tomorrow!
Final Fantasy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Nadim Chowdhury)
Wow that is impressive. How did you manage to do that? Contracting as in building works?

Personally I save £200 to 300/week but it's through delivery work around college. Once I'm qualified as a mechanic I'll be raking in the cash like there's no tomorrow!
Contracting as in software engineering contracts, rates are usually on average £300 - £500 + VAT a day. I got tired of it and just work as a normal permanent employee now, pay is a bit less, but it's more stable, don't have to stress over taxes and accountancy fees and applying for new contracts all the time. It's fun to do in your 20s though, you can pretty much afford anything you want, but as you get older, it does get tiring. Some developers do contracting all their life though, just depends on your preference and lifestyle. I had a nice BMW phase lol.
Last edited by Final Fantasy; 1 month ago
username2301217
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Contracting as in software engineering contracts, rates are usually on average £300 - £500 + VAT a day. I got tired of it and just work as a normal permanent employee now, pay is a bit less, but it's more stable, don't have to stress over taxes and accountancy fees and applying for new contracts all the time. It's fun to do in your 20s though, you can pretty much afford anything you want, but as you get older, it does get tiring. Some developers do contracting all their life though, just depends on your preference and lifestyle. I had a nice BMW phase lol.
That's really well paid, but for me it would be the wrong thing to get into because I'm not really into software and computers, I like cars and working on them. Which is why i want to be a mechanic and hopefully run my own garage one day. If you don't mind me asking which BMW did you have? Bmw does seem the best of the German brands imo, but for reliability nothing can beat honda and toyota!
Final Fantasy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Nadim Chowdhury)
That's really well paid, but for me it would be the wrong thing to get into because I'm not really into software and computers, I like cars and working on them. Which is why i want to be a mechanic and hopefully run my own garage one day. If you don't mind me asking which BMW did you have? Bmw does seem the best of the German brands imo, but for reliability nothing can beat honda and toyota!
When I was earning money through contracts, my first BMW was a 530D, I then moved on to an Audi A3 briefly before getting a 120D which I really liked so I added some upgrades to it, but then changed so I upgraded to a BMW M135 - that was awesome, I was gonna try an M2 or M140 next, possibly M4, but towards the end other stuff was happening in my life and I moved on.

I'm just really into IT and tech and enjoy working in this field, nothing wrong with you wanting to be a mechanic - there's plenty of good money there too.
username2301217
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
When I was earning money through contracts, my first BMW was a 530D, I then moved on to an Audi A3 briefly before getting a 120D which I really liked so I added some upgrades to it, but then changed so I upgraded to a BMW M135 - that was awesome, I was gonna try an M2 or M140 next, possibly M4, but towards the end other stuff was happening in my life and I moved on.

I'm just really into IT and tech and enjoy working in this field, nothing wrong with you wanting to be a mechanic - there's plenty of good money there too.
Those are some great cars, I drove a 520d briefly and I loved it, can't imagine what a 530d would be like. Was also a passenger in a 640d and that was mental 😂😂😂. The best thing for anyone imo is to do what you like, I know for a fact that I would be happy if I had a long day at the garage!
Emma:-)
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
£30,000
Ben2021uni
Rep:
?
(Original post by Emma:-))
£30,000
What age are you?
Emma:-)
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What age are you?
Plus I have a house which I put a large deposit on.
username2301217
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Emma:-))
Plus I have a house which I put a large deposit on.
That's really good, I'm 18 so got a few years but hopefully I make some good progress in the next few years financially. If you had one thing you could do differently since you were 18 in terms of money what would it be if you don't mind me asking?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (47)
13.86%
Virtual campus tours/open days (74)
21.83%
Live streaming events (32)
9.44%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (36)
10.62%
A uni comparison tool (78)
23.01%
An in-person event when available (72)
21.24%