Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I've decided on
- Psychology HL
- Theatre HL
-English A: Language and Literature HL
-Math AI SL
-Physics SL
-German ab intitio

I still have time to change my subjects as I haven't gone into IB yet. I don't exactly know what I want to study after school but I'm sort of in between art and something along the lines of sustainability and designing sustainable solutions. Do my subjects make sense? i feel as though they arent helping any of my career-choice options as of now. I would've taken Art HL but my sister took it and it was hellishly tough. I wanted to take physics Hl but its very tough and I'm not necessarily good at it.
VanillaCream
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by may08)
I've decided on
- Psychology HL
- Theatre HL
-English A: Language and Literature HL
-Math AI SL
-Physics SL
-German ab intitio

I still have time to change my subjects as I haven't gone into IB yet. I don't exactly know what I want to study after school but I'm sort of in between art and something along the lines of sustainability and designing sustainable solutions. Do my subjects make sense? i feel as though they arent helping any of my career-choice options as of now. I would've taken Art HL but my sister took it and it was hellishly tough. I wanted to take physics Hl but its very tough and I'm not necessarily good at it.
First of all, I have never encountered any sustainability courses at university at Bachelor's level (as per se sustainability), only as Master's, so what exactly are you interested in when it comes to sustainibility? more like ecology or environment? or maybe more something like sustainable materials/building so in the direction of engineering? so depending what you're exactly interested in (more like sciences/social sciences/engineering), I would look into taht, so courses at Bachelor's I'd suggest would be Geography (all different kinds), Biology (and ecology, stuff like that) and engineering (of whatever kind probably) which can lead to some sustainable building. If you have any specific undergrad courses in mind, let me know though.

Then, regarding your subjects, Psych HL is a lot of memoriization, but isn't necessarilly hard (so fine if you're good at memorising), I know nothing about Theatre as I don't know anyone who did this, English A Lang and Lit HL is hard to score a high grade in, e.g. a 7, since a lot of people around the world take it, but since, I assume, you're a native speaker and if you're good at English, it should be fine. Then regarding SLs, I'm not sure if Maths AI SL is enough to understand Physics as Physics is a lot of Maths and Maths AI SL is the easiest Maths course available, so if all your other choices stay the way they are, I would consider changing Maths to AA, unless you just want to study extra hard to understand Maths required for Physics which you won't be studying in class (which is also fine if you think you can score higher in AI than AA and will just study the things required for Physics to understand it better).
But then all your choices depend on the course you want to apply for uni, so think about that first.

When it comes to Art at uni, have a look here: https://www.arts.ac.uk/subjects/fine...ourse-overview
Do you mean just Fine Art or something else, that is also artistic? Cause that would probably depend, but I'd say Visual Arts HL would be a better choice for this. However, I'm pretty sure there is a possibility to do the Foundation which a lot of people decide to do before an undergrad course, so you might consider that.

Hope it helps!
SophieBer
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'm a May 20 alumni and so I do have some experience. I would say that Psych at an HL level is rather difficult, especially if you don't want to study it at university. If art is what you want to do then you 100% need to take it as a subject, even if it is at SL although HL would be so much more appreciated by universities. If you are thinking the theatre route as the art you are mentioning then you are perfect with Theatre HL. Also about sustainability as VanillaCream mentioned I think too that there are no bachelors about that.
What I would suggest doing is going through the subject lists offered by universities and look what would be something that you would be interested in. Then compare your subject choices to the requirements of each course.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (597)
49.18%
No (617)
50.82%

Watched Threads