Police: Sixth-leading cause of death for young black men

Watch
imlikeahermit
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by LoveAmore)
Where are the statistics to support your view? I have provided you with statistics which affirm my position but you have not provided me with any statistics about stop and search to support yours. If by 'wokeists' you are referring to my pursuit of the truth, then perhaps. I do not see how it is favourable to preserve ignorance when it can be eradicated.
Just to confirm before I bother find statistics which are well known by those who don’t live under a left wing rock...

Are you suggesting that black people in the U.K, especially men, don’t commit a disproportionate amount of crime in regards to their population statistics? I mean, 3% make up 18% of the murders. That’s your starter for 10.
LoveAmore
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by imlikeahermit)
Just to confirm before I bother find statistics which are well known by those who don’t live under a left wing rock...

Are you suggesting that black people in the U.K, especially men, don’t commit a disproportionate amount of crime in regards to their population statistics? I mean, 3% make up 18% of the murders. That’s your starter for 10.
That's true and is a problem in the black community but it does not defend your statement: Meanwhile, in Croydon, black people just shooting and stabbing each other up. Funny how that’s never mentioned by the same people who think the police can’t justify all the extra stop and searches.

The point is, the average black person is not a murderer, just how the average poor person is not a murderer as they also commit a disproportionate amount of crimes. Black people have a problem with stop-and-search because there is a much higher proportion of black people getting stopped and searched compared to the amount actually committing crimes. I do not deny that it is logical for the police to search those who are most often perpetrators of crime but black people are not. To counteract your statistic, 70% of murderers are white. In addition, as I said earlier stop and searches are most fruitful when carried out on white people so if the police weren't carrying stop and searches out based on racial prejudice and bias, you would see more stop and searches carried out per 1000 white people than per 1000 black people, but this is not the case
imlikeahermit
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
That's true and is a problem in the black community but it does not defend your statement: Meanwhile, in Croydon, black people just shooting and stabbing each other up. Funny how that’s never mentioned by the same people who think the police can’t justify all the extra stop and searches.

The point is, the average black person is not a murderer, just how the average poor person is not a murderer as they also commit a disproportionate amount of crimes. Black people have a problem with stop-and-search because there is a much higher proportion of black people getting stopped and searched compared to the amount actually committing crimes. I do not deny that it is logical for the police to search those who are most often perpetrators of crime but black people are not. To counteract your statistic, 70% of murderers are white. In addition, as I said earlier stop and searches are most fruitful when carried out on white people so if the police weren't carrying stop and searches out based on racial prejudice and bias, you would see more stop and searches carried out per 1000 white people than per 1000 black people, but this is not the case
70% of murders done by 83% of the population as opposed to 18% by 3% of the population... That hardly makes your point.

Simple issue here which you cannot get your head around is that black people, by population, are disproportionately more likely to commit crime. That's the simple truth here. The percentage of black people who will commit a crime is statistically higher than the percentage of white people who will commit a crime, thus why you see more stop and searches of black people. Truth hurts bro.
LoveAmore
Rep:
?
70% of murders done by 83% of the population as opposed to 18% by 3% of the population... That hardly makes your point.

Simple issue here which you cannot get your head around is that black people, by population, are disproportionately more likely to commit crime. That's the simple truth here. The percentage of black people who will commit a crime is statistically higher than the percentage of white people who will commit a crime, thus why you see more stop and searches of black people. Truth hurts bro.
To respond to your bit in bold I literally said: The point is, the average black person is not a murderer, just how the average poor person is not a murderer as they also commit a disproportionate amount of crimes. ???
I am saying that while there is an unbalanced proportion of black people committing crime compared to the population, there is a much more unbalanced proportion of police stopping and searching black people. 38/1000 black people are stopped and searched. 4/1000 white people are stopped and searched. Black people are 950% more likely to be stopped and searched compared to white people. Black people are not 950% more likely to commit a crime than white people. These statistics are self-authenticating.
imlikeahermit
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
To respond to your bit in bold I literally said: The point is, the average black person is not a murderer, just how the average poor person is not a murderer as they also commit a disproportionate amount of crimes. ???
I am saying that while there is an unbalanced proportion of black people committing crime compared to the population, there is a much more unbalanced proportion of police stopping and searching black people. 38/1000 black people are stopped and searched. 4/1000 white people are stopped and searched. Black people are 950% more likely to be stopped and searched compared to white people. Black people are not 950% more likely to commit a crime than white people. These statistics are self-authenticating.
Would you like to put the police on a quota then? Because that’s precisely what you’re advocating. “Oh, forget the fact he’s got a knife, we dare not search otherwise we’ll be racist...”

Oh wait, that’s what’s already happening because of people like you twisting the figures.
LoveAmore
Rep:
?
Would you like to put the police on a quota then? Because that’s precisely what you’re advocating. “Oh, forget the fact he’s got a knife, we dare not search otherwise we’ll be racist...”

Oh wait, that’s what’s already happening because of people like you twisting the figures.
The figures are from the Office of National Statistics... I’m suggesting the police receive more training and are rigorously checked for biases before being entrusted with the safety of the nation. There should also be more measures in place to ensure that stop and searches carried out on arbitrary factors such as race are less frequent, whether that’s greater use of body cameras, being obliged to provide accounts on why they carried out the stop and searches amongst others. There’s also some debate about whether or not stop and searches are effective amongst all races: not only do they debilítate the already fragile relationships between police and communities, but they are allegedly not as good of an deterrent as one may think. Essentially, many would argue that they are pointless
paul514
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You know what, I do not deny that there are problems within the black community that need to be resolved. Fundamentally, the police abuse their power to kill civilians for low-grade offences. According to the police, their reason for arresting George Floyd was because he was using fake notes in a store. The punishment was not proportional to the crime so yes, his death was due to excessively poor conduct of the officer concerned. I don't think that's debatable. However, I can see that we are not going to agree on this matter as a whole so I do not see the point in continuing discussion
I would have thought the point was to make you see sense....
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

Slow down there it isn’t 3% of the population half of those are women and it isn’t 5 year olds or 50 year olds getting stopped all the time.

Let’s get this right it’s men from their teen years through to 30/40 years old.

It’s a fraction of that 3% causing the problems. So when it’s black people commit 20% of this or 40 of that it’s coming from less than 1% of the population making it far more valid to search those people.
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

White people are more than 70% of the population, so they are under represented in those statistics and they stop people in high crime neighbourhoods routinely which are predominately.... none white.
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

Not only that but it’s the type of crime committed
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
White people don’t really live in the areas where most stop and search’s are carried out and outside of the cities the country is almost entirely white, low crime areas where there is very little need for stop and search... you really need to contextualise this data.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You know what, I do not deny that there are problems within the black community that need to be resolved. Fundamentally, the police abuse their power to kill civilians for low-grade offences. According to the police, their reason for arresting George Floyd was because he was using fake notes in a store. The punishment was not proportional to the crime so yes, his death was due to excessively poor conduct of the officer concerned. I don't think that's debatable. However, I can see that we are not going to agree on this matter as a whole so I do not see the point in continuing discussion
Actually i was going to agree with what you said there. There are fundamental problems in both the black community (as with all communities for that matter) as well as the police with their hyper use of force and military grade weaponry. That being said, i do have some sympathy for them in the broader strokes. They deal with an exceptionally violent society on a daily basis unlike their counterparts in the civilised areas of the western world. Alas, such working conditions are bound to have an unpalatable trickle down effect on to every day policing.
LoveAmore
Rep:
?
(Original post by paul514)
White people don’t really live in the areas where most stop and search’s are carried out and outside of the cities the country is almost entirely white, low crime areas where there is very little need for stop and search... you really need to contextualise this data.
If you’re referring to London just under half of the residents are white. In addition, the percentage of black people in the UK has probably risen quite considerably from 3%. I suppose we’ll find out the definitive number soon after the census. Arbitrarily ruling out women and children and over 50s to claim that searching black people is justifiable deflects from the fact that official statistics demonstrate that black people are searched 950% more than white people. Black people are not 950% more likely to commit a crime. And it’s not just young black males that are getting stopped and searched, it’s women and some people over 50 too. Once again I repeat, the average black person is not a criminal. The average black person has been stopped and searched.
looloo2134
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
If you’re referring to London just under half of the residents are white. In addition, the percentage of black people in the UK has probably risen quite considerably from 3%. I suppose we’ll find out the definitive number soon after the census. Arbitrarily ruling out women and children and over 50s to claim that searching black people is justifiable deflects from the fact that official statistics demonstrate that black people are searched 950% more than white people. Black people are not 950% more likely to commit a crime. And it’s not just young black males that are getting stopped and searched, it’s women and some people over 50 too. Once again I repeat, the average black person is not a criminal. The average black person has been stopped and searched.
I live in London in on rough estate the white/black young males are stop and searched all the time it because were live and mainly young men do crime in the area. I know parents of white boys who children are not criminals complain because their son stop and searches at least once a week. You need to look white young males from the same area and social background to get a better picture.
LoveAmore
Rep:
?
(Original post by looloo2134)
I live in London in on rough estate the white/black young males are stop and searched all the time it because were live and mainly young men do crime in the area. I know parents of white boys who children are not criminals complain because their son stop and searches at least once a week. You need to look white young males from the same area and social background to get a better picture.
I don't deny that white people get stop and searched too, but black people get stop and searched at a much greater rate. According to official statistics, for every white person that gets stopped and searched, 9.5 black people get stopped and searched.
caravaggio2
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I don't deny that white people get stop and searched too, but black people get stop and searched at a much greater rate. According to official statistics, for every white person that gets stopped and searched, 9.5 black people get stopped and searched.
Why do you think over 100 men get stopped and searched for every woman
Why do you think over 1000 young men get stopped for every elderly woman
LoveAmore
Rep:
?
(Original post by caravaggio2)
Why do you think over 100 men get stopped and searched for every woman
Why do you think over 1000 young men get stopped for every elderly woman
The point is is that for every white person that commits a crime 9.5 black people are not committing crimes. It's out of proportion.
imlikeahermit
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The point is is that for every white person that commits a crime 9.5 black people are not committing crimes. It's out of proportion.
That poster actually has a very very good point. Why are more young people stopped than elderly? Why is that?
LoveAmore
Rep:
?
That poster actually has a very very good point. Why are more young people stopped than elderly? Why is that?
Once again, look at the statistics. It is out of proportion. For every white person stopped and searched, 9.5 black people are stopped and searched. For every white person that commits a crime, 9.5 black people are not committing crimes.
imlikeahermit
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Once again, look at the statistics. It is out of proportion. For every white person stopped and searched, 9.5 black people are stopped and searched. For every white person that commits a crime, 9.5 black people are not committing crimes.
What’s the proportion of those stopped who are over 60 compared to those under 60? Is that out of proportion?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (58)
13.55%
Virtual campus tours/open days (98)
22.9%
Live streaming events (39)
9.11%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (40)
9.35%
A uni comparison tool (98)
22.9%
An in-person event when available (95)
22.2%