The Student Room Group

Tuition fee help needed as new partner £50k salary

I’m looking to start university in September, I have x2 children with disabilities and currently not working as I’m the carer. I was originally looking to getting the tuition fee loan and grants etc to see me through whilst getting tax credits etc

However now my new partner is possibly due to move in with us. Ive learnt he earns £50k a year salary.

-How will this impact me as a student??
-Will I still be able to get a tuition loan for me to cover the course fees??
-What financial support will I get?? I

I cannot and don’t want to be fully dependent on a new partner yet I want to start university. I’ve tried the calculator but not fully sure. I’d appreciate if someone can help.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by hen1985
I’m looking to

Depends on several factors. Is this your first degree? If so, you can take out a loan for tuition fees, maintenance (though dependent on household income) and you can receive grants for childcare etc. If it's your second degree, you will have to pay for tuition fees alone and you may get a means-tested maintenance loan based, again, on household income. I'm also fairly sure you can apply for help with childcare again.
Reply 2
Hi yes it will be my first degree. Obviously my circumstances are different now although when he moves in soon all my benefits will stop. Just will be in receipt of disability money which Is for the children and he will have a wage of £50k a year. Will his salary/wage stop me getting the full tuition fee loan? Also will it possibly stop any other support from grants/maintenance?
Reply 3
Original post by hen1985
Hi yes it will be my first degree. Obviously my circumstances are different now although when he moves in soon all my benefits will stop. Just will be in receipt of disability money which Is for the children and he will have a wage of £50k a year. Will his salary/wage stop me getting the full tuition fee loan? Also will it possibly stop any other support from grants/maintenance?

Everyone is entitled to the full tuition fee loan regardless of household income.

The maintenance loan is another story, and your household income will directly affect the amount you're eligible for. GOV.UK has a calculator.
yes they consider it
Reply 5
Ok thank you I thought the household income may effect me getting the tuition fee loan too.I’ll look at the calculator. Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending