Is the Pfizer the better vaccine on a individual level?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
As a healthcare NHS worker is it better to get the Pfizer or the Oxford vaccine?

Ive heard the first provides a lot more protection on a individual basis.
Anonymous370
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Such a bloodbath out there omg ! We're almost about to hit the 100k mark of deaths in UK due to Covid ! Gruesome
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Anonymous370)
Such a bloodbath out there omg ! We're almost about to hit the 100k mark of deaths in UK due to Covid ! Gruesome
This time last year you’d never think this could happen. Let’s hope these vaccines/lockdowns work
Anonymous370
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
This time last year you’d never think this could happen. Let’s hope these vaccines/lockdowns work
Yeah, but then again but about all these stuff about new coronviruses emerging out there and spreading faster than the speed of light ? I mean, new variants of coronviruses like UK and now even a Brazilian coronviruses, omg what's all this about? It's really made me feel down, hopeless since just reading these headlines, forget looking into them. Do any vaccines really cover all coronviruses ? Clueless here . How do I know we're not gonna have a Mexican coronviruses emergenand enter UK and then make vaccines pointless ? Like I mean, so much tbh feels like just uncertainty, guesswork... Sad
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
As a healthcare NHS worker is it better to get the Pfizer or the Oxford vaccine?

Personally, I am waiting to get the Oxford one. Since they are not giving the 2nd Pfizer vaccine as per schedule (and who knows if people will even get it by 12 weeks...), I'm not sure it offers more protection than the Oxford one. Plus the Oxford vaccine is supposed to offer more protection to other people.
Anonymous #3
Report 1 month ago
Pzifer has a lot more complication so far and deaths now recorded in older people. I personally would prefer the Oxford vaccine. The methods used for the Oxford have been used before and tested.. Pzifer has not
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

So the efficacy is slightly stronger at preventing the disease with Pfizer.

But my understanding is both AZ & Pfizer vaccines are extremely strong (near 100%) at preventing serious infection, likely safe with either.
setarexhx
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Pzifer has a lot more complication so far and deaths now recorded in older people. I personally would prefer the Oxford vaccine. The methods used for the Oxford have been used before and tested.. Pzifer has not
Confirmed deaths from pfizer vaccine? Where did you get that from
gw07mcgheerachel
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by setarexhx)
Its on the new 23 deaths in Norway 1 in France
Anonymous #3
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by setarexhx)
There have been 23 deaths in older people in Norway as a result which is being investigated and a document is being published at the end of the month of the risks
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by gw07mcgheerachel)
Its on the new 23 deaths in Norway 1 in France
Do you have an article from a trusted source about this?

Need to be careful to separate those who have died despite having had the vaccine as you have to remember the priority list is to the most vulnerable people who are (unfortunately) likely to keel over due to one of many factors so if we’re talking a handful of deaths out of hundreds of thousands or millions of doses it could be statistically normal.
Anonymous #3
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mnot)
Do you have an article from a trusted source about this?

Need to be careful to separate those who have died despite having had the vaccine as you have to remember the priority list is to the most vulnerable people who are (unfortunately) likely to keel over due to one of many factors so if we’re talking a handful of deaths out of hundreds of thousands or millions of doses it could be statistically normal.
If you Google it there are very many reliable sources with the story you can read for yourself.
BiafranPharm
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Pfizer if it was used properly, the basis of 95% efficacy is based on 3 weeks between the doses, however the government changed it 3 months where there is no evidence of sustained immunity. Pfizer and WHO are against the UK choice of dosing as there no evidence of the 95% efficacy of immunity with a 2-3 month gap as opposed to 3 weeks. The UK government are doing a trial on the public with this dosing change, basically guinea pigs.

I chose Oxford Vaccine because it shows 100% efficacy in the sense that no one became seriously ill or died post vaccine. And since it using the adenoviral vector instead of mRNA which is used before in the flu vaccines and has evidence of 2-3 months gap between the doses with proven immunity.

Had the UK government not chnaged the dosing regime which caused the cancellations of many HCP second dose i wouldve picked pfizer so instead i took the oxford vaccine myself
Anonymous #1
(Original post by mnot)
So the efficacy is slightly stronger at preventing the disease with Pfizer.

But my understanding is both AZ & Pfizer vaccines are extremely strong (near 100%) at preventing serious infection, likely safe with either.
Thanks. I thought the Oxford was something like 65 - 70 percent effective after 2 doses.

I guess with the Pfizer though it was meant to have a 3 week gap but in reality it will probably have 12 weeks now and it’s questionably how the effectiveness will fare
Anonymous #1
(Original post by BiafranPharm)
Pfizer if it was used properly, the basis of 95% efficacy is based on 3 weeks between the doses, however the government changed it 3 months where there is no evidence of sustained immunity. Pfizer and WHO are against the UK choice of dosing as there no evidence of the 95% efficacy of immunity with a 2-3 month gap as opposed to 3 weeks. The UK government are doing a trial on the public with this dosing change, basically guinea pigs.

I chose Oxford Vaccine because it shows 100% efficacy in the sense that no one became seriously ill or died post vaccine. And since it using the adenoviral vector instead of mRNA which is used before in the flu vaccines and has evidence of 2-3 months gap between the doses with proven immunity.

Had the UK government not chnaged the dosing regime which caused the cancellations of many HCP second dose i wouldve picked pfizer so instead i took the oxford vaccine myself
True that’s what I was thinking.

Did you have a choice then?

I have mine booked tomorrow I’m unsure which one it will be
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks. I thought the Oxford was something like 65 - 70 percent effective after 2 doses.

I guess with the Pfizer though it was meant to have a 3 week gap but in reality it will probably have 12 weeks now and it’s questionably how the effectiveness will fare
I believe the 70% efficacy is regarding disease prevention, but in terms of risk of serious infection the efficacy is greater than 99% for both. Now i am not a virologist that’s just how I have interpreted the information made public.
BiafranPharm
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
True that’s what I was thinking.

Did you have a choice then?

I have mine booked tomorrow I’m unsure which one it will be
I was fortunate because the 2 hospitals i locum at within the same NHS trust had options of either vaccines.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This time last year, we were willing to completely annihilate all of the economy to avoid such a scenario. Now, we're just ticking by doing the bare minimum waiting for Oxford to save us. Funny how priorities change!

To answer your question: The Oxford one is also older technology, with lots of other safe vaccines tested using it in previous years. The pfizer one is completely new, albeit highly promising tech.

The Pfizer one was designed and made to make a profit, by which i mean, they tested it only as it was exactly intended to be used (as if it was being bought by an individual customer). Oxford was always aiming to make a vaccine that would be used worldwide, so did broader testing anticipating that it might not be used exactly correctly. So it has evidence if you use them 12 weeks apart, and if you use alternate dosing, and early evidence that it reduces transmission.

However, it is still very likely the the Pfizer one will also reduce transmission, and likely that 12 weekly dosing will be effective, based on how other vaccines . But we don't have that data yet. Based on one dose, the Pfizer one was about 90% effective, but the concern would be how long that will last.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

I would personally opt for Pfizer in the extremely unlikely event I got offered a choice but basically, I would take whichever one I could get the fastest!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (598)
49.14%
No (619)
50.86%

Watched Threads