Who is dying of covid?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Is it mostly 80s or younger? They are saying thousands dying every day but who is it? If it was young people they would be more coverage about that.
nzy
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
If it was young people they would be more coverage about that.
Its literally in the news and on social media every day
Anonymous #1
(Original post by nzy)
Its literally in the news and on social media every day
they don't say ages?
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
ask Dr Google
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
In my experience of working in a hospital, the people I saw dying were mostly in their 60s-70s.
Alexty28
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Last time I checked those who are 80 and over are seventy times more likely to die from Covid.
CatGentleman
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Mainly older people, yes, but a few younger ones (younger than 30-40) as well. Extremely rare for under 18s though. There are statistics on this you can google. It also depends on whether you're asking about the UK in particular or globally. Countries differ.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Is it mostly 80s or younger? They are saying thousands dying every day but who is it? If it was young people they would be more coverage about that.
The average age of death is over 80.
and 80 was about the average age in ICUs during waves 1 & 2.

but this lockdown the average age of an ICU patient is 60. Im not sure if the average age has dropped or is dropping but it wouldn’t surprise me. Perhaps someone with experience on a ward can comment.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mnot)
The average age of death is over 80.
and 80 was about the average age in ICUs during waves 1 & 2.

but this lockdown the average age of an ICU patient is 60. Im not sure if the average age has dropped or is dropping but it wouldn’t surprise me. Perhaps someone with experience on a ward can comment.
Not many people over 80 are fit enough for ITU so just don't get accepted and die on other wards. I suspect the criteria to be accepted to ITU are tougher now due to the number of patients with covid being higher and the lack of beds. I don't work in ITU though so this is just an educated guess.
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(No need for anon for this question)

Here ya go:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...dup/2020-03-26
Anonymous #1
In my experience of working in a hospital, the people I saw dying were mostly in their 60s-70s.
of Covid?
Sentinel_3
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Its mostly people over 60. By quite a margin.

Official Government Statistics (ONS Covid Stats 2020) I looked at in December indicated that the number increases exponentially by ages, but particularly after 60.

Of the 69,000 lives lost to December 2020 only 33 of these wherein the age range 18-24, 60-70 in the Age Range 25-30. From there it grew in leaps and bounds until 60s when it was in the thousands.

Basically, it is as the media says but the figures themselves are even more daunting and present the radical contrast for age ranges. IT highlights why the young are the carriers of this disease and why we bear such awful responsibility to protect the rest of the population.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
of Covid?
yes
2003a39
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by the bear)
ask Dr Google
*Gary Oogle (Mr G.Oogle).
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 2003a39)
*Gary Oogle (Mr G.Oogle).
:creep:
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As far as I know the majority is still the older people, because they have a weaker immune system to resist the virus as a rule.
Ciel.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i am 😂 i mean, i wish, but that **** just isn't particularly deadly,eh
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
my understanding is that people are dying left right and centre at home etc
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Kallisto)
As far as I know the majority is still the older people, because they have a weaker immune system to resist the virus as a rule.
the issue with the virus is not a weak immune system, it's a very strong immune response to the virus that causes issues.
CaptainDuckie
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
the issue with the virus is not a weak immune system, it's a very strong immune response to the virus that causes issues.
I’m pretty sure they’re dying because their immune system is not strong enough, so cannot produce enough antibodies to fight off the antigens, therefore causing issues. Rather than a strong immune response; if it was a strong immune response, they wouldn’t be vulnerable.

A vaccine is important as it can produce memory cells which can be stored, so if they were to get the virus, it can rapidly produce to provide protection. So that’s what makes it a stronger immune response

And to answer your original question: it’s mostly vulnerable people, so you’d think 80’s fall into that category as well as other people who have health issues.
Last edited by CaptainDuckie; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (405)
52.26%
No (370)
47.74%

Watched Threads