2021 Undergrad | Reading, Nottingham Trent, Bournemouth, UWE or Oxford Brookes

Watch
SamClarkee
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello,

This post is in regard to my university choices for an undergraduate course, studying law and starting in September 2021.

I have finally received the decisions from all five of my university choices. I am going to list all of my choices along with the decision below:

University of Reading - Unconditional
Nottingham Trent University - Unconditional
Bournemouth University - Unconditional
Oxford Brookes University - Unconditional
The University of the West of England, UWE Bristol - Unconditional

As you will see from what I have stated above, all choices are unconditional offers.

Now that I have given some insight into the course I wish to study and the universities I am interested in; I would be undoubtedly thankful for any feedback or suggestions you may have on each university choice.

I understand that a lot will come down to the university in which has the most attractive course content a layout but overall, any feedback on accommodation, nightlife or anything else would be appreciated.

If you have applied for law at any of the universities I have stated above; please let me know what influenced your decision.

Please note that nightlife is fairly important to me so I need to make sure that the university can be fairly lively. I believe that is also very important that the university I go to will put me in the best position when it comes to employability.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Have you visited any of the universities/cities concerned? Attended offer holder days (virtually or in person)? These will usually take place in the spring.

You have until June to decide so don’t rush. You shouldn’t be putting your firm choice onto Track until April at the earliest.

What do you consider the pros and cons for each course/university?
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Look at the Campus Tour and previous Open Day films on YouTube.
Also look at the tourist films on YouTube for each place.

Look at the course content for all three years - what is compulsory, what is optional.
Which optional units actually interest you?

Get a big piece of paper and write notes (pluses and negatives) for each course/Uni.
Stick it on the wall, and dont decide anything until at least March.
SamClarkee
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
Have you visited any of the universities/cities concerned? Attended offer holder days (virtually or in person)? These will usually take place in the spring.

You have until June to decide so don’t rush. You shouldn’t be putting your firm choice onto Track until April at the earliest.

What do you consider the pros and cons for each course/university?
Unfortunately, I have not visited any of the universities due to COVID, and in terms of the cities/towns, the only one I have managed to visit would be Bournemouth.

I have been trying to get myself booked onto as many upcoming virtual tours possible. I really hope that open days will resume again (in-person) soon, so I can go and visit to get a good idea of the area and the universities itself. I have only been able to get feedback from friends that have previously studied at each one and obviously, they are all saying that their individual university is the best one, which makes it a lot harder so, I a going to do some virtual tours, and hopefully visit them once COVID improves.

I have managed to highlight a couple of points, for a few universities, but unfortunately, neither of my parents went to university, and therefore, they can not really give me any assistance when it comes to anything university-related.

I really want to crack down on which university will give me the best chance of employment once I have graduated, but I also want to make sure that the social and nightlife of the university is quite lively.

I have one of my close friends going to the University of Reading, starting in September 2021, and this is influencing my decision slightly, maybe due to the comfortability that I would already have a really close mate at the university as soon as I get there. I understand that this shouldn't influence may decision much as I will meet so many new people, but I am just speaking my mind, in its current state.
SamClarkee
Rep:
?
(Original post by McGinger)
Look at the Campus Tour and previous Open Day films on YouTube.
Also look at the tourist films on YouTube for each place.

Look at the course content for all three years - what is compulsory, what is optional.
Which optional units actually interest you?

Get a big piece of paper and write notes (pluses and negatives) for each course/Uni.
Stick it on the wall, and dont decide anything until at least March.
Thank you for the information.

I have managed to look at the few YouTube videos on each university and looking more in-depth at the universities accommodation.

In terms of not deciding about my firm choice, I am extremely worried that the longer I take to make a decision, the less chance I have of getting the certain accommodation I would want to apply for, do you think this would be a feasible concern?
McGinger
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by SamClarkee)
the less chance I have of getting the certain accommodation I would want to apply for, do you think this would be a feasible concern?
Urban myth.

Unis are not allowed to bribe applicants to make quick decisions - and that includes suggesting that you get a 'better room' if you Firm early. If you get any emails suggesting this, please post them on TSR. Exeter tries this every year, I think they tried free laptops one year, and UCAS threatened to exclude them.

If you think about it, real allocations for accom cannot be made until August, and I promise you they wont be.
Lots of people getting offers or going Firm will not actually need rooms - they will withdraw/defer or simply not get the grades and go somewhere else. So there will be lots of rooms up for grabs again at that stage, including 'good' ones.

You do not need to decide on Firm/Insurance until the deadline in May.
You will make a far better, more considered decision then rather than a panicky one, made now for all the wrong reasons.
UniofReading
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by SamClarkee)
Hello,

This post is in regard to my university choices for an undergraduate course, studying law and starting in September 2021.

I have finally received the decisions from all five of my university choices. I am going to list all of my choices along with the decision below:

University of Reading - Unconditional
Nottingham Trent University - Unconditional
Bournemouth University - Unconditional
Oxford Brookes University - Unconditional
The University of the West of England, UWE Bristol - Unconditional

As you will see from what I have stated above, all choices are unconditional offers.

Now that I have given some insight into the course I wish to study and the universities I am interested in; I would be undoubtedly thankful for any feedback or suggestions you may have on each university choice.

I understand that a lot will come down to the university in which has the most attractive course content a layout but overall, any feedback on accommodation, nightlife or anything else would be appreciated.

If you have applied for law at any of the universities I have stated above; please let me know what influenced your decision.

Please note that nightlife is fairly important to me so I need to make sure that the university can be fairly lively. I believe that is also very important that the university I go to will put me in the best position when it comes to employability.
Hey samclaark,

It's great to hear you've got an offer from the University of Reading and are considering it! Unfortunately, I personally don't study Law but Charles and Abigail on unibuddy do. You can message them to find out more about the course specifically here:

Charles: https://api.unibuddy.co/og/universit...Position=share

Abigail: https://api.unibuddy.co/og/universit...Position=share

In terms of the nightlife at Reading Uni I've found it to be really good! There's a good combination of pubs and clubs on and off-campus and it often has a very lively atmosphere.

In terms of employability, Reading University has a really supportive careers service which helps you stand apart from other candidates. There are multiple schemes you can take part in such as the Red Award and the Thrive Mentoring Scheme. The Red award is where you take part in various activities including work and volunteering. Thrive mentoring is where you get partnered up with someone in the industry you're interested in and they mentor you for a year which can be really helpful. There are also 1 to 1 careers sessions which can be great if you need advice on your applications etc. You can see what our careers service offers here: https://www.reading.ac.uk/essentials/careers

Hope this helps you make your decision and if there is anything else you want to know please feel free to let us know!
From,

Amina 😊
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (244)
51.48%
No (230)
48.52%

Watched Threads