The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Does Sheffield feel small compared to other cities like Birmingham?

I’ve applied to Sheffield but I haven’t actually gone there yet, I plan to before I make my final choice. I’m from London which is obviously the biggest city but I like places like Manchester and Birmingham too and don’t feel like they are too small. Does Sheffield feel small compared to them or about the same size. Thanks.
Reply 1
When I went there, it felt small to me. Not tiny, just smaller.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
Original post by gtty123
When I went there, it felt small to me. Not tiny, just smaller.

How much smaller though? Was it minimal or a very noticeable difference.
Reply 3
Original post by Bigman02
How much smaller though? Was it minimal or a very noticeable difference.

Minimal.
Original post by Bigman02
I’ve applied to Sheffield but I haven’t actually gone there yet, I plan to before I make my final choice. I’m from London which is obviously the biggest city but I like places like Manchester and Birmingham too and don’t feel like they are too small. Does Sheffield feel small compared to them or about the same size. Thanks.

Hi there!

Glad to hear you're considering Sheffield for University. I'm currently in my third year and absolutely love Sheffield, it really does feel like home.
I'm originally from near Birmingham so have been there plenty of times and I do find it quite a daunting big city. Sheffield is moderately smaller in comparison to places like Birmingham of course, but no less vibrant. One way I guess I can explain its size is I can walk from my house in Crookesmoor to the train station (which is right across the other side of the city) in around 35 minutes.

Do let me know if you have any other questions about Sheffield :smile:

Emily
- 3rd Year, BMus
It's definitely smaller, but there's still plenty about to do.
its a brilliant size especially if your at the uni of side of west street, as you can easily get from your accomodation (whether you are near the student residential areas like crookes/crookesmoor/bower road area etc) or coming from the new flats opposite the IC/Library. There is a tram that takes you all the way through the main parts of the city but you won't need it at all as you could walk to the train station in probably less than half an hour from the students union.

Birmingham is a bit different in the sense that the area near Digbeth and the bullring/snow hill/new street/colmore row isnt too hard to get around, but its definitely a lot more sprawled out and if you wanted to get to villa park for example, its easier to jump on the train from new street for 8 mins to get there than walk it.

you won't really need to go out of the areas either end of west street as a student tbh, excluding your accomodation of course. I had never been there before the first day of term either so dont worry about it, you will quickly find your way around xD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending