Anonymous1783
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Hi, I am just preparing some answers to the SAQ form, especially struggling with the written ones and the additional personal statment. I wrote something quite generic about the flexibility and bredth of a natural sciences course, do you think it would be worth mentioning that i applied for my college partly because several family members attended it. I have also looked around and think it looks like a great college. And I am unsure of a career but have toyed with the idea of becoming a scientific journalist, although not really considered it indepth is this worth mentioning.
Scipio90
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous1783)
do you think it would be worth mentioning that i applied for my college partly because several family members attended it.
I would advise against this.

I would just talk about why you want to go to Cambridge and why you would enjoy the flexibility of the course. Just make sure that whatever you write, you're prepared to discuss and elaborate upon it at interview.
Anonymous1783
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Okay, thanks
veagius
Report 12 years ago
If I say yes to the question in the SAQ if I would accept deferred entry in 2010 would it hurt my chances for acceptance in 2009?
Zoedotdot
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by veagius)
If I say yes to the question in the SAQ if I would accept deferred entry in 2010 would it hurt my chances for acceptance in 2009?
Nope, just gives them another option. They're not trying to catch you out! There was someone on here around January who applied for 2008, was pooled and given a 2009 offer.
pm2671
Report 12 years ago
Thanks. It clears up things.
psyche87
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The additional personal statement is a great opportunity to mention why you want to study at Cambridge in particular (aspects of the course, life at Cambridge, etc), so make full use of it! You could perhaps mention what aspects of the course interest you (flexibility and breadth of the NatSci course sounds like a good start!), and what parts of studying at Cambridge you think you'd like (such as being in colleges, lots of activities, etc)...
chinni30
Report 12 years ago
hi guys,

theres a minor problem with my saq form...my friend and i sent ours off at the same time, (UCAS i mean) but she got her saq the next morning and hree days later i'm still waiting...
how long did it take you lot to get ur forms sent out, and is it college based, she's pembroke and i'm jesus...maybe more demand?

thankyou
LH123
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by veagius)

Similiar question here, would it make you more likely, if not accepted at first, to be put in the winter pool rather than the normal one? Or are you put in the normal one first anyway?

I'd much rather go in 2009, but if i got a deferred offer i would seriously consider it.
FadedJade
  • CV Helper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The winter pool is the 'normal' pool. What other pool are you talking about? (THe summer one doesnt come into play here)
pudlump
Report 12 years ago
i've got a question regarding the topics on the education bit. How am i ment to fit all the topics i've studied/will study in that litle box? How am i ment to choose which one are impotant and which one not to mention due to lack of space? For maths AS for example there are C1, C2 and M1. I can fit in about 7 topics max for the whole AS- theres more than that alone in M1.

Here is what i have for Maths AS: Sequences and series, Trigonometry, Logs & Exponentials, Calculus, Mechanics 1

And thats all the space gone- i know they dont want me to put down mechanics 1 but theres no space to put down momentum, centre of mass etc. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Also for chem and physics we have an optional module that we will take in the summer and we haven't choosen it yet. On the SAQ im ment to specify which one we will do ??? Should i just put down the one i think we will end up doing??
Andrew Zhao
Report 12 years ago
Try e-mailing them at [email protected]

Answered all my questions
FadedJade
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Thats an email address for the cambridge admissions office by the way)
LH123
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Nina)
The winter pool is the 'normal' pool. What other pool are you talking about? (THe summer one doesnt come into play here)

Oh well im confused, never mind :P
Mithra
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by pudlump)
i've got a question regarding the topics on the education bit. How am i ment to fit all the topics i've studied/will study in that litle box? How am i ment to choose which one are impotant and which one not to mention due to lack of space? For maths AS for example there are C1, C2 and M1. I can fit in about 7 topics max for the whole AS- theres more than that alone in M1.

Here is what i have for Maths AS: Sequences and series, Trigonometry, Logs & Exponentials, Calculus, Mechanics 1

And thats all the space gone- i know they dont want me to put down mechanics 1 but theres no space to put down momentum, centre of mass etc. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Also for chem and physics we have an optional module that we will take in the summer and we haven't choosen it yet. On the SAQ im ment to specify which one we will do ??? Should i just put down the one i think we will end up doing??
I thought you used a separate box for each module, and then listed what was contained within each module? Although I may be wrong, that was just based on what I've seen from the example.
silver_j
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by psyche87)
...and what parts of studying at Cambridge you think you'd like (such as being in colleges, lots of activities, etc)...
Is it recommended to mention this? I was advised by someone on this forum that it should only be specific to the course.
mirah
Report 12 years ago
...Is the supplimentary personal statement very important?
I was seriously thinking not filling it in...
FadedJade
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I didn't bother.

I think it matters more for some subjects (such as Land Economy which are very specific to Cambridge) than others.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (66)
11.91%
Virtual campus tours/open days (136)
24.55%
Live streaming events (47)
8.48%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (52)
9.39%
A uni comparison tool (129)
23.29%
An in-person event when available (124)
22.38%