The Student Room Group

No knowledge doing a degree

Often universities say that no prior knowledge is required to enrol on the degree, as someone with absolutely no knowledge of computers but an eagerness to learn, how true is this ? Would computer science at a Russell group university be too much of a jump for me ?
I mean, it depends exactly on what you mean by "no knowledge of computers". If you don't know how to turn one on, use basic word processing software and access the internet (which, given that you are posting this on the internet, I assume is not the case) that might be tricky. If it's in terms of not having done any programming before or having any knowledge of the "theory" of why computers work, that isn't an issue because that's exactly the kinds of things you'll learn in the degree!

Outside of admissions purposes, I imagine lecturers teaching programming on CS degrees might actually prefer that their students not have prior experience of programming, so as to avoid the very likely possibility of them having already developed "bad" programming habits which can be very hard to break. Starting with a clean slate might be easier in that sense :tongue:

Also the CS departments at "Russell Group universities" vary enormously in scope and, it should be noted, quality. The nature of the CS course at Exeter is going to be very different to Southampton or Birmingham, and those will again probably be somewhat different to the style of the course at Oxbridge or Imperial. So I don't think targeting the "Russell Group" specifically is that helpful (either for CS or in general).

Quick Reply

Latest