izzellax
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I heard it's good to have either maths or physics at A-level if you want to be a vet. How important is this and is it worth it? Thanks.
Horsesarethebest
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I applied to vet med and got a place without taking the Scottish equivalent of a level maths though I did take the equivalent of As level so it may depend on the uni but the important ones are bio and chemistry
bambi1425
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
it's worth checking unis you want to apply for to see what they want, I imagine all will want bio and most will want chem at high grades

just to give an idea I applied for vet nursing courses and the highest grade req was BBC (Bs in bio and chem)
KJ2003
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’m doing geography as my third. The only universities that prefer maths/physics are Cambridge and Glasgow so if you want to apply to them then you might need them but otherwise just pick the subject your best at and most likely to get an A in
Vetgirl07
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A level maths or physics isn’t a requirement for any vet school- they all require biology and chemistry but the 3rd subject can be anything (excluding general studies or critical thinking).

The only universities that mention physics or maths a level are Glasgow or Cambridge- but even then it’s not a requirement. Glasgow’s website states that it is preferred, Cambridge require 2 science a levels and mention that applicants with 3 science a levels tend to be more successful at interview. Even then, I’m a first year at Cambridge and there are a fair number on my course who did a different third subject.

I’d recommend you pick whatever you’re best at and enjoy for your third subject (the other two being biology and chemistry), you’ll need at least a B or an A to meet the entry requirements of all UK vet schools.
TheWannabeFarmer
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As someone with a B at GCSE maths - absolutely you don't need a maths A level to have a career in veterinary medicine
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you feel comfortable going back to school on March 8th?

Yes (392)
32.24%
No (824)
67.76%

Watched Threads