Omackeyblack
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm a year 11 student and have chosen my A-Levels around wanting to take Physics or Maths at degree level, however, I am becoming more aware of my love of history and am wondering If I should change my subjects. I have currently applied for Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Computer Science, and Chemistry. I'm not too keen on Chemistry, but I'm taking it because I thought it'd give me a better basis for a stem degree. But since I now may want to take either a Maths, Physics, or History degree at Oxbridge, I'm wondering if I should take Maths, Further Maths, Physics, History, and maybe Politics if that's not too much. I love all of these subjects. To get into Oxbridge, would it be wise to dedicate myself to one side, history or stem, to have a shot at getting in? Or could I do A-Levels on both sides and still have a reasonable chance of getting in either side?
sb2021
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I would say pick a course from a university page, and see what subject requirements you must have to be able to apply for it. Maybe it'll help you narrow down your choice, hope this helps
Last edited by sb2021; 1 month ago
physgradstudent
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Realistically for physics you’d need maths, further maths and physics so it doesn’t leave much room for other a levels.

Maybe take history as the 4th subject then as you spend more time studying then both subjects I’m sure you’d quickly figure out which one you’d enjoy more at degree level. If you decide to go for history at uni you could do an EPQ to have more experience with essay writing.

Taking politics in addition would definitely be too much.
Last edited by physgradstudent; 1 month ago
Interea
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Maths, further maths, physics and history is probably your best bet - any more than that would likely be too much work (although I imagine you can squeeze an EPQ in too if you really wanted).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (598)
49.18%
No (618)
50.82%

Watched Threads