Ohnourlp
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Im 19 now and I’m tired of walking 1hrs just to get to lessons and carrying groceries back home. I struggle to multitask and can’t even focus on sending a text while speaking to someone. I’m also paranoid that drivers will crash into me, not long ago someone I know passed away due to this. I haven’t grown up with driving so I’m completely unfamiliar with everything. How long do you think it’ll take to drive ? Somebody spoke about practicing a lot alone but how is that allowed and I don’t have a car to do so.
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ohnourlp)
Im 19 now and I’m tired of walking 1hrs just to get to lessons and carrying groceries back home. I struggle to multitask and can’t even focus on sending a text while speaking to someone. I’m also paranoid that drivers will crash into me, not long ago someone I know passed away due to this. I haven’t grown up with driving so I’m completely unfamiliar with everything. How long do you think it’ll take to drive ? Somebody spoke about practicing a lot alone but how is that allowed and I don’t have a car to do so.
It varies for everyone e.g. how many lessons they can take/afford, how often they can have lessons. It took me from June to January when I learned to drive from starting to passing. I had about 24 hours of lessons. You don't need to have your own car, and please do not practice driving in a car on your own. You'll need to take lessons with a proper, qualified instructor. Or, you could learn to drive with someone e.g. a parent in their car if they have the right insurance.
TheDE
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ohnourlp)
You are not allowed to practice alone, if you were caught you would have the car taken away due to invalid insurance, and you would receive points.
Zarek
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It’s a useful skill to gain. I reckon around 20 lessons + some practice if you have someone helpful to do this with you. You cannot practice alone in a car on public roads. Having a car is very liberating but also very expensive with all the related costs. You can pay for quite some public transport, even taxis, before hitting the cost of running a car. I think students with cars is bonkers and particularly if living in a city with reasonable public transport.
av34
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes all the above posts are good and true.

I've just blogged on this subject as it's a good question. It's always tempting to say "how long is a piece of string" because one person might take 20 hrs and yet another might take 100+ hrs. I kid you not, I've had two pupils in the past who took over a year to learn to drive. But you are bringing up important factors here because it does largely come down to an aptitude for the co-ordination of hands and feet as well as the listening, looking and doing actions as well. When you also add in to the mix things like anxiety, past trauma, attitudes to learning, metacognitive knowledge, pressure from peers or internally generated pressure and yes, it is a pretty complex mixture of things that certainly can affect outcomes. So, it's a long winded way of saying, yes, you are quite right, there can be challenges involved in learning to drive. Not helped of course by the fact that quite naturally, all of us to tend to under-estimate the task in hand when learning something new, and also we can over-estimate our perceived ability.... so those two factors can sometimes create difficulties too. Good luck... tom
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (536)
51.15%
No (512)
48.85%

Watched Threads