The Student Room Group

NI Number Problem

Hi,
So I’m a Uk national who’s just turned 18 who never received an NI Number due to my parents having never filled out a Child Benefit Claim.

I have to take a gap year next year as I need to save money for uni and due to NI Number apps being closed to UK nationals because of COVID I’m worried I won’t be able to start work soon enough to do so.

Provided things don’t resolve by the time I need to apply for Student Finance next year , how will I claim my loans without an NI Number on hand? I’m really worried .
Original post by xmpj.Tx
Hi,
So I’m a Uk national who’s just turned 18 who never received an NI Number due to my parents having never filled out a Child Benefit Claim.

I have to take a gap year next year as I need to save money for uni and due to NI Number apps being closed to UK nationals because of COVID I’m worried I won’t be able to start work soon enough to do so.

Provided things don’t resolve by the time I need to apply for Student Finance next year , how will I claim my loans without an NI Number on hand? I’m really worried .

Hi, you can apply for funding and we will send your details to the Department of Work and Pensions. They will then send you an application pack to apply for a number, we don't know how long this can take.

We can not release any funding to you unless you provide a valid NI number.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 3
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi, you can apply for funding and we will send your details to the Department of Work and Pensions. They will then send you an application pack to apply for a number, we don't know how long this can take.

We can not release any funding to you unless you provide a valid NI number.
Thanks, Isaac

Even though the lines/applications are down at the minute ??
It says on the HMRC website that they are only accepting applications from people who are in the UK with a visa ?
Original post by xmpj.Tx
Even though the lines/applications are down at the minute ??
It says on the HMRC website that they are only accepting applications from people who are in the UK with a visa ?

We are unsure on how they are handling it as we are not involved in that. What we do is pass the information to them and I can confirm application packs are being sent to students. The application pack then needs to be returned to the DWP, I am unsure what happens next as this is handled by the DWP.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 5
Ok thank you!
Original post by xmpj.Tx
Ok thank you!

You're welcome :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest