pearllx
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
A parcel of mass 8 kg rests on a smooth slope, and is connected by a light inextensible string which passes over a smooth pulley to a mass of 2kg, which hangs freely. The system is in equilibrium. Find the angle of the slope.

I have no idea how to answer this question any help is appreciated
physgradstudent
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Have you tried sketching a free body diagram for both masses?
pearllx
Rep:
?
(Original post by physgradstudent)
Have you tried sketching a free body diagram for both masses?
Yes
szczesniak
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
When the system is in equilibrium, the tension in both end of string is the same. Hence, the tension to the "right" of pulley = the tension to the "left" of pulley.

If you sketched the diagram properly, it should be straightforward from now on. Denote the angle as theta. Now you gotta set up a single inequality, that is, the weight of a mass freely hanging = the component of weight of a mass (that is resting on a smooth slope) parallel to the slope. Then you solve that inequality for theta, and get your answer.
pearllx
Rep:
?
(Original post by szczesniak)
When the system is in equilibrium, the tension in both end of string is the same. Hence, the tension to the "right" of pulley = the tension to the "left" of pulley.

If you sketched the diagram properly, it should be straightforward from now on. Denote the angle as theta. Now you gotta set up a single inequality, that is, the weight of a mass freely hanging = the component of weight of a mass (that is resting on a smooth slope) parallel to the slope. Then you solve that inequality for theta, and get your answer.
Ahh I see I got the correct answer as I checked the answers, I’m not really good at mechanics but thank u
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (244)
51.48%
No (230)
48.52%

Watched Threads