The Student Room Group

I want to read more but don't have any money

I love reading and I want to read more but my parents can't afford it and I don't have any money either
Original post by Anonymous
I love reading and I want to read more but my parents can't afford it and I don't have any money either

Google "free books online".
your local council/ borough will have a free online library. ours is amazing.

Use a library perhaps?
your local council/ borough will have a free online library. ours is amazing.

omg, I'm in this exact predicament and had no idea! will check it out thank :smile:
This thread has a good list of sites to find free books.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=92955062&highlight=book
Reply 6

How old are you and what kind of reading are you seeking to do? I assume that you have all the books you need for school and that this is for reading for pleasure.
Use the library or an amazon prime membership. Some books you can read as pdf format on the internet for free.
I've seen a few bookshops and such on Facebook apparently giving away free books, something along the lines of a donation drive that they got too much stock for.

Worth keeping an eye on Gumtree and Facebook marketplace, folk give away bags/boxes of books all the time.
Project Gutenberg has most classics for free.
sometimes googling [book title].pdf works
Do remember that most new books are under copyright law, so it's illegal to get books under copyright from the internet for free.
However, if you want to read university level books, they can be extremely expensive. But since you want to learn, you can easily get older editions for much less on Amazon. Most newer editions have the same content as the old one, the only difference is that the questions and exercises are rearranged and changed, and prettier/colour pictures added to be able to charge students with ridiculous sums of money. I would prefer a hardcopy of a book so that I don't strain my eyes and can easily read them without my computer lagging.
pdfdrive.com and archive.org have some university level books if they are too expensive for you.
just use a library!
My advice would be using the library BUT as they are all closed (until who knows when) my say would be used pdf/epub books online you can find most or even look on freegull or facebook loads of people give stuff away if you just looking for stuff to read now if you're looking for a just-released or rare book you might need to look around for them for a while.

Another though look at joining your library online if you have not as they often have ebooks to lend out or otherwise you can always use internet archive library (just google) - limited leading time but you can borrow more then once
check out 'b-ok' site for free books you can download them to your phone laptop or kindle
kindle app and search free kindle books on amazon

Quick Reply

Latest