username5601230
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hi. Looking some advice in regards to Primary early years teaching and general primary. If I choose PGCE early years I am worried I will be limiting myself however I do feel I am more suited to early years rather than general. All help is appreciated.
Farah_7866
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Not really- You can still teach primary school. It may be difficult but definitely not impossible.
Kingston University
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by username5601230)
Hi. Looking some advice in regards to Primary early years teaching and general primary. If I choose PGCE early years I am worried I will be limiting myself however I do feel I am more suited to early years rather than general. All help is appreciated.
I would try to get experience in early years and primary school, so you can understand more about which you would prefer. But personally, I think you are better off doing a PGCE in primary rather than in early years as you are more likely to be able to teach early years with a regular primary PGCE, however it is unlikely you would be able to do primary teaching with an early years PGCE as regular primary is more broad (as it is Reception - year 6). It might be that if you do a regular PGCE you can get experience in early year school placement (maybe), but you would be able to complete a course or training in early years after the PGCE if needed, however in order to do primary you need to have the degree level qualification, unless you because a higher level TA, where you do the exact same job as a teacher for a lot less money.

Hope I have helped.

Verity
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Will the early years PGCE lead to QTS? If so, you can still teach primary. If it doesn't, I'd go for the primary PGCE.

(Original post by Kingston University)
I would try to get experience in early years and primary school, so you can understand more about which you would prefer. But personally, I think you are better off doing a PGCE in primary rather than in early years as you are more likely to be able to teach early years with a regular primary PGCE, however it is unlikely you would be able to do primary teaching with an early years PGCE as regular primary is more broad (as it is Reception - year 6). It might be that if you do a regular PGCE you can get experience in early year school placement (maybe), but you would be able to complete a course or training in early years after the PGCE if needed, however in order to do primary you need to have the degree level qualification, unless you because a higher level TA, where you do the exact same job as a teacher for a lot less money.

Hope I have helped.

Verity
If I remember correctly, OP already has offers- it's very unlikely she will be able to get any further experience now!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (21)
13.73%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.23%
I need help with filling out the application form (8)
5.23%
I need help with my personal statement (65)
42.48%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (36)
23.53%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.96%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (12)
7.84%

Watched Threads