The Student Room Group

Psychotherapist career in the UK

Hi everyone,

I'm considering a career switch to the field of psychotherapy but I am quite worried about choosing the right modality in regards to employment opportunities.

Since in my current profession I'm self-employed, I would prefer to be employed in the future by the NHS or clinics/hospitals/universities/schools (although I'm happy to be doing private practice alongside). From the research I've done so far, the NHS seems to be employing mainly CBT, Systemic Family or CAMHS psychotherapists (as far as I understand these are more solution-focused, evidence-based, short, and therefore cheaper types). There's also some demand for psychodynamic psychotherapists but not nearly as much it seems.

I was originally thinking to train in psychodynamic psychotherapy at Birkbeck (Certificate of Higher Education in Psychodynamic
Psychotherapy, leading to the MSc in Psychodynamic Counselling and Psychotherapy). From what I can understand this is usually long-term therapy focusing more on complex trauma and depression, rather than phobias/anxiety/PTSD.

I like that it's not time-limited and that you get to know the patient better rather than working in 6-12 sessions, but I also think I would be interested in working with people who suffer from postnatal depression, addictions, and PTSD. Though I've read therapists often use a mixed approach, the underlying theories of psychodynamic therapy and CBT are conflicting.

I'm slightly stuck in making a clear decision as to which modality would suit me best. Could anyone share their training experiences and employment experiences after graduating?

Thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending