Flynns5
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
im soon to be taking the dreaded CBAT and can not get my head around the Fuel/parcel SDT questions on the CBAT App i just seem to be miles of the correct answer and was curious if some one had a method of some sort that i could use for practising these questions.

cheers
james
danzinin
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Flynns5)
im soon to be taking the dreaded CBAT and can not get my head around the Fuel/parcel SDT questions on the CBAT App i just seem to be miles of the correct answer and was curious if some one had a method of some sort that i could use for practising these questions.

cheers
james
The dreaded CBAT? It's not that bad, I did it myself in August and passed. However I'd love to say I enjoyed it but that would be a blatant lie haha, but don't panic there's much worse things believe me.

SDT calcs that old chestnut, so in terms of struggling are you struggling with the the formula ie changing the equation to find what answer the question is looking for or the arithmetic side ie you know the way to work it out but struggling to deal with the numbers in your head?
Flynns5
Rep:
?
(Original post by danzinin)
The dreaded CBAT? It's not that bad, I did it myself in August and passed. However I'd love to say I enjoyed it but that would be a blatant lie haha, but don't panic there's much worse things believe me.

SDT calcs that old chestnut, so in terms of struggling are you struggling with the the formula ie changing the equation to find what answer the question is looking for or the arithmetic side ie you know the way to work it out but struggling to deal with the numbers in your head?
its mainly doing the calcs in my head, i can always get the answer on paper as its easier to work it out when you can see the numbers but visualizing the numbers and working it out in my head is the hardest part.
JodanP22
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
First thing to do is change the speed into miles per minute. So if the speed is 420kts then that’s 7 miles per minute. Once you’ve done that’s it’s a fairly easy multiplication/division.
danzinin
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
its mainly doing the calcs in my head, i can always get the answer on paper as its easier to work it out when you can see the numbers but visualizing the numbers and working it out in my head is the hardest part.
(Original post by JodanP22)
First thing to do is change the speed into miles per minute. So if the speed is 420kts then that’s 7 miles per minute. Once you’ve done that’s it’s a fairly easy multiplication/division.
I'll second the technique offered by JodanP22 this helps a lot of people, once you start using this technique getting lots of practice of dealing with multiples of 60 will help a lot.
Flynns5
Rep:
?
(Original post by danzinin)
I'll second the technique offered by JodanP22 this helps a lot of people, once you start using this technique getting lots of practice of dealing with multiples of 60 will help a lot.
llk
Flynns5
Rep:
?
would you be able to give me an example of this so i can understand what you mean please
danzinin
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
would you be able to give me an example of this so i can understand what you mean please
EXAMPLE
What speed covers 34 miles in 10 minutes?

Step 1
• If we follow the advice in the previous method, we do not need to convert the hours into minutes, simply because it is already done for us. Therefore, speed = distance ÷ time

Step 2
• Speed = 34 ÷ 10

Step 3
• Calculate how many times does 10 go into 60 minutes? Answer = 6.
• Speed = 34 x 6 (6 x 10 = 60 minutes).

ANSWER
• 204 mph
masterspjm
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’d say that it’s probably easier to work SDT calculations in how many minutes each mile will take you, so mins/mile. This would be likely easier as you’re given distances to work with e.g. 10 miles from base to point X, so knowing how many minutes each of those miles is going to take is simple multiplication (edit: the following method works for when you have a speed and distances to work out the time for. If you don’t have the speed then rely on the SDT triangle. I’m using the following for ease of working out time taken to travel distances for use in the plan ex at Main Board). For example:

Vehicle speed = 30mph. So in one hour your miles travelled is 30 miles. To get this speed of miles per hour into minutes per mile just divide 60 minutes 30 miles. So 60 / 30 =.2 mins per mile. Now, to find the time it will take you travel the 10 miles from base to point X it’s simply 10 miles x 2 mins per mile = 20 mins.

Or if you prefer to work in miles per minute you would divide your miles travelled in an hour (30 miles for a vehicle that travels at 30 mph) by 60 mins. 30 miles / 60 mins = 1 / 2 mile / min. So 1 mile would take 2 minutes. Ultimately, you end up with minutes per miles (example above). 1 mile takes 2 mins so 10 miles takes 20 mins.

I prefer the first method but each to their own. Sorry if that explanation seems simplistic and patronising. Hope it helps either way.
Last edited by masterspjm; 1 month ago
masterspjm
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Also, what unit is kts?
Theuser12345
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by masterspjm)
Also, what unit is kts?
Nautical miles per hour.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (463)
51.5%
No (436)
48.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise