arlinous
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I have a BSc and MSc in Nutrition. I wonder if I could get any help with finance to pay for my tuition to study MSc in Dietetics at King's College. It seems that NHS grant for dietetics course is available only if I qualify for student finance. It also looks that I don't qualify for Student Finance since I’ve studied a higher education course before. King's College student loan has similar criteria to gov loan, so I wonder if there is any help for a student like me?
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by arlinous)
I have a BSc and MSc in Nutrition. I wonder if I could get any help with finance to pay for my tuition to study MSc in Dietetics at King's College. It seems that NHS grant for dietetics course is available only if I qualify for student finance. It also looks that I don't qualify for Student Finance since I’ve studied a higher education course before. King's College student loan has similar criteria to gov loan, so I wonder if there is any help for a student like me?
Hi, you can be fully funded for the Dietetics course as long as you are not already professionally registered in this field.

The course must also meet the below criteria:

A minimum of 2 years in length
Full Time (Distance Learning courses will not be eligible)
Level 7
Pre-registration courses in allied health profession (AHP) subjects, nursing and midwifery that lead to a PG Diploma or Masters qualification

If you meet this criteria then you can apply for full undergraduate funding for your postgraduate healthcare course, regardless of any previous study.
Thanks, Isaac
username2794212
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi, I am in a very similar situation. I have a BSc and MSc in Nutrition, wanting to apply for an MSc in Dietetics.I am wondering how applying for the funding works? So you apply for undergraduate funding even though the course is an MSc? Does this apply regardless of a four year BSc and a one year MSc (this is what I have undertaken)? I thought I was ineligible for further finance so this is good news.Thanks!
arlinous
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by SFE Isaac)
Hi, you can be fully funded for the Dietetics course as long as you are not already professionally registered in this field.

The course must also meet the below criteria:

A minimum of 2 years in length
Full Time (Distance Learning courses will not be eligible)
Level 7
Pre-registration courses in allied health profession (AHP) subjects, nursing and midwifery that lead to a PG Diploma or Masters qualification

If you meet this criteria then you can apply for full undergraduate funding for your postgraduate healthcare course, regardless of any previous study.
Thanks, Isaac
(Original post by StIz)
Hi, I am in a very similar situation. I have a BSc and MSc in Nutrition, wanting to apply for an MSc in Dietetics.I am wondering how applying for the funding works? So you apply for undergraduate funding even though the course is an MSc? Does this apply regardless of a four year BSc and a one year MSc (this is what I have undertaken)? I thought I was ineligible for further finance so this is good news.Thanks!
Hi.
I have called and discussed my situation with two different Customer Contact Officer NHSBSA from NHS Learning Support Fund. The first advisor had little idea, so she naively checked the eligibility criteria that is available on NHS and Gov websites while I was over the phone and said that NHS grant only applies to my case if I qualify for Student Finance, and since I am not qualified for Student Finance due to my previous higher education, BSc and MSc, NHS grant doesn't apply to me.
The second advisor had no idea how to answer or find an answer for my question, so he just forwarded a basic link readily available online to me. https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/nhs-learning-support-fund
I found that they generally don't have enough knowledge to answer any question 5605170beyond simple enquiries.
I explained to them that to be able to study MSc in dietetics, one must have a BSc in related subjects. So, it means that no one who wishes to apply for MSc in dietetics can get NHS grant because they are not qualified for Student Finance due to their previous higher education degree.
SFE Isaac has already answered my question above, however I couldn't find anywhere to confirm or to find the name of the financial help scheme, or the relevant place to apply.
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by username2794212)
Hi, yes that is correct, you must apply for undergraduate funding for your postgraduate healthcare course.
Thanks, Isaac
arlinous
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hi Isaac,Thank you for your information and kind advice. I called HMRC Student Finance regarding my case. They said that I am eligible for Student Finance because dietetics is a special course and under allied healthcare. As long as I have not studied dietetics before I can apply via Student Finance, regardless of my previous master degree. Best wishes Arlin
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (170)
44.16%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (43)
11.17%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (31)
8.05%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (83)
21.56%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (36)
9.35%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (22)
5.71%

Watched Threads