sleepsonggarden9
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Using the chemical equation Cl2 + H2O ⇌ HCl + HOCl, predict the effect on the odour of chlorine water when acid is added to it.
ziggy03
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sleepsonggarden9)
Using the chemical equation Cl2 + H2O ⇌ HCl + HOCl, predict the effect on the odour of chlorine water when acid is added to it.
making an educated guess here so i can't be totally sure. reversible reaction here, you've got a diatomic chlorine molecule added to water to give hydrochloric acid and chlorine water. since its reversible you can go backwards: chlorine water + an acid ( in this case HCl ) gives water and diatomic chlorine. water is odourless so I'm guessing they're asking what chlorine would smell like which is pungent/strong bleach smell. if someone sees this and knows it's wrong please please correct me. hope this helps.
ilovephysmath
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ziggy03)
making an educated guess here so i can't be totally sure. reversible reaction here, you've got a diatomic chlorine molecule added to water to give hydrochloric acid and chlorine water. since its reversible you can go backwards: chlorine water + an acid ( in this case HCl ) gives water and diatomic chlorine. water is odourless so I'm guessing they're asking what chlorine would smell like which is pungent/strong bleach smell. if someone sees this and knows it's wrong please please correct me. hope this helps.
You're correct, adding more HCl will cause the equilibrium to shift to the LHS. sleepsonggarden9 what do you think happens next?
ilovephysmath
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Also did you know that Edexcel's CEO's name is Ziggy too?
is that why you've made it your username?
ziggy03
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ilovephysmath)
Also did you know that Edexcel's CEO's name is Ziggy too?
is that why you've made it your username?
no hahahahaha it's ziggy as in the rise and fall of ziggy stardust and the spiders from mars, the david bowie album and also his character.
ilovephysmath
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
no hahahahaha it's ziggy as in the rise and fall of ziggy stardust and the spiders from mars, the david bowie album and also his character.
I'll pretend I know what you mean
ziggy03
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'll pretend I know what you mean
you haven't heard david bowie ???? man he's a legend he's amazing
ilovephysmath
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
you haven't heard david bowie ???? man he's a legend he's amazing
I don't listen to music haha...
Last edited by ilovephysmath; 1 month ago
ziggy03
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don't listen to music haha...
fair enough my man
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling being back in school?

Happy (42)
25.45%
Unhappy (44)
26.67%
Conflicted (79)
47.88%

Watched Threads