The Student Room Group

Army: Aircraft Technician (Soldier) or Aircraft Engineer (Officer)

I currently am working towards my Physics, Maths and Photography A Levels, all having high predicted. I am also currently applying to the army as an Aircraft Technician. However, I am now worried that I would be wasting my A Levels and Public School Education by joining as a soldier rather than an officer, due to lots of comments made by others. (I didn't think this before these comments.) Should I be applying as an Officer or Soldier? and what is the difference in jobs other than the pay and the officer being in charge? Thank you!
At the most basic: Soldiers do the physical work and Officers are the managers.
If I do not have GCSE Science qualification, can I still join the aircraft tech role? Thank you.
Reply 3
Original post by strangepath
If I do not have GCSE Science qualification, can I still join the aircraft tech role? Thank you.

You need to meet the educational requirements with GCSEs or equivalent.
Reply 4
If you do an army Air Tech apprenticeship, you will be educated to A-level standard on the course.

Soldier or Officer? It depends on what you want to do when you leave?
If you want to carry on working with aircraft, hold an engineering license and earn loads of cash, (at least double an officer’s pay), then go the soldier route to be more hands on and gain the necessary experience to become a licensed aircraft engineer.

Officer role is management only and this is useless in the civvy aircraft maint world.
Original post by Turbo321
If you do an army Air Tech apprenticeship, you will be educated to A-level standard on the course.

Soldier or Officer? It depends on what you want to do when you leave?
If you want to carry on working with aircraft, hold an engineering license and earn loads of cash, (at least double an officer’s pay), then go the soldier route to be more hands on and gain the necessary experience to become a licensed aircraft engineer.

Officer role is management only and this is useless in the civvy aircraft maint world.

Thank you! I will carry on with my soldier application!

Quick Reply

Latest