Official St. Andrews Postgraduate Applicants Thread 2021

Watch
username1514999
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi I haven't seen a thread for postgrad offer holders and applicants so I thought I'd make one. Here's a thread starter to get things going

Current university:
Current course:
Course applying for:
Other unis applying to:
itsharvey98
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi! Thanks for starting a thread, I'll kick it off!

Current university: University of Birmingham
Current course: BA Modern Languages (German)
Course applying for: MLitt Medieval Studies (conditional offer received on January 7th)
Other unis applying to: Oxford (MSt Modern Languages)
Ffreya83
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hey! Thanks for starting the thread I actually deferred a year, but will be starting in September.

Current university: None
Current course: None (previous course was an MA in French)
Course applying for: PhD in French (unconditional offer received last January)
Other unis applying to: None

I'd be really keen to meet others, especially those doing Modern Languages!
anon1401
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Current university: Glasgow
Current course: Politics
Course applying for: MSc Sustainable Development (received a conditional offer last week!)
Other unis applying to: LSE, Oxford

Hi guys, are you going to apply for pg halls?
Last edited by anon1401; 2 months ago
Ffreya83
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by anon1401)
Course applying for: MSc Sustainable Development (received a conditional offer last week!)

I think so, yes! I'm an international student, and it's so hard to plan for the future right now, but I think I will choose halls for my first year to keep it simple.
itsharvey98
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by anon1401)

Hi, congrats on the offer! Yes I'm going to be applying as it just seems like the easiest thing to do rather than trying to find a one-bed flat or a housemate or something
Brookej0hnson
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Current university: University of California, Irvine (USA)
Current course: BA Psychological Science
Course applying for: MSc International Development Practices (still waiting)
Other unis applying to: University of Glasgow (conditional offer), University of Edinburgh (still waiting), University of Stirling (still waiting)
Banzala
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
For anyone else who applied for postgrad halls accommodation, did you get the phrase [Disarmed] on the confirmation email?

As in, the subject of the email I got said "[Disarmed] Application Confirmed", but I'm not sure what [Disarmed] means, or how I can log in to view my accommodation application? It's not letting me log onto the MySaints

Thanks.
Last edited by Banzala; 1 month ago
AlexNelson1866
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Current university: Newcastle University
Current course: BSc Chemistry
Course applying for: MSc Chemical Science
Other unis applying to: Oxford, Imperial, UEA

Anyone else applying to this course??
Brookej0hnson
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I got an offer this morning for the International Development Practices MSc! Does anyone know anything about postgrad halls or do people tend to go for private/off campus accommodations?
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
Hi Guys, I'm thinking of starting a post-grad. in September (2021-2022). I live in the UK. Can I get funding from Student Finance for a Masters??? Anyone know? help!
LaLa2003
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Current/former university: University of Hamburg (Germany) until September last year
Current/former course: BA Socioeconomics
Course applying for: MSc Sustainable Development (already got an unconditional offer )
Other unis applying to: already have an offer from Edinburgh, waiting on Oxford

So many here with similar profile! What other courses did you guys apply for at Edinburgh and Oxford?
I'm leaning towards the Edinburgh offer now as I'm really interested in the Environmental Science portion of that degree (MSc Env. Protection and Management) but I loved what I saw from St. A so far as well.
Brookej0hnson
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi everyone! I created a discord for fellow postgraduate offer-holders/applicants. Feel free to join 🙂
https://discord.gg/8pHjM4fa
ibrah158
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hey everyone, I'm a current postgrad in St. Andrews and my only advice for accomodation would be to try and find private accomodation now as it's much better value than any of the halls. You'll need to move fast though as listings are rapidly disappearing.
charlyhansch
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ibrah158)
Hey everyone, I'm a current postgrad in St. Andrews and my only advice for accomodation would be to try and find private accomodation now as it's much better value than any of the halls. You'll need to move fast though as listings are rapidly disappearing.
Thank you for the advice! Do you have any tips on where to look apart from Rightmove?
ibrah158
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by charlyhansch)
Thank you for the advice! Do you have any tips on where to look apart from Rightmove?
The local letting companies would be a good bet! Or the St. Andrews student pad website. There’s also a Facebook group for people looking to share a room but I can’t remember what it’s called unfortunately
ohwell1996
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ibrah158)
Former St Andrews student. Unless you're looking to share a flat with someone, private accommodation in St Andrews is obscenely expensive. So, unless you are fine to commit to sharing one with someone you meet online then definitely don't dismiss postgraduate halls.
Ffreya83
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ohwell1996)
Former St Andrews student. Unless you're looking to share a flat with someone, private accommodation in St Andrews is obscenely expensive. So, unless you are fine to commit to sharing one with someone you meet online then definitely don't dismiss postgraduate halls.
That is how I feel, and I've opted for postgrad halls. I'm also an international student, so the ease of having utilities essentially sorted out for me for my first year, while I figure out how to live in St Andrews, is a big plus.
JoeCameron
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hello!

Undergraduate University: University of Glasgow
Undergraduate Course: BSc (Hons) Informatics
Course applying for: MSc Human-Computer Interaction (Accepted Offer)

For accommodation, I've also decided to apply for postgraduate halls. Has anyone heard back from St Andrews on their accommodation applications?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (150)
4.9%
Uncertainty around my education (453)
14.8%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (342)
11.17%
Lack of purpose or motivation (426)
13.92%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (145)
4.74%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (186)
6.08%
Loneliness (263)
8.59%
Financial worries (111)
3.63%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (123)
4.02%
Exposure to negative news/social media (139)
4.54%
Lack of real life entertainment (167)
5.46%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (269)
8.79%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (287)
9.38%

Watched Threads