The Student Room Group

Intercalated degrees

Hi,

I wanted to ask any medical students who are currently doing an intercalated bachelors or masters degree what the difference is between your intercalated course and the medical course. Do you have more time off? is it easier? what were your reasons for doing it?

Reply 1
An intercalated degree essentially refers to a degree that you complete while in the middle of studying medicine. It generally means adding an extra year to your medicine course in order to achieve a BSc (or BA) in another subject, usually something in the field of medicine, biology and health. It's a pretty intensive year (and definitely not an easy option). Most people do it either to gain more knowledge in a field that interests them, take a year away from medicine to study something more focused, gain some more research skills or to increase employability.
It works different ways at different places. At my med school the intercalation was very much part of the core course, actually starting in April of 2nd year (so it was eleffectively 16 months long). There was the research project, where you'd be doing things literally no one in the world had ever done before. Mine was on vascular imaging in Marfan syndrome. And the taught component with a few different choices - I chose things like altitude medicine, some cardiovascular stuff, can't really remember.

I'll contrast with the above and say that intercalation is typically quieter yes. Some people on here say it's more like being a 'normal' student, without placements and what have you.

You used to get application points directly for doing it. You don't any more (for FPAS) but you can boost your CV indirectly through publications etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending