heldbygrace
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’ve been playing the piano since I was 5 (Now 16) but not really sure what grade I’m at. I’m working on playing Prelude 2 by Bach which is pretty advanced but it’s taking me a while. Would anyone be able to send pictures of pieces around the Grade 5/6/7 mark so I can try and determine which? Thank you!
Yazomi
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You could find some on YouTube and how it sounds too
heldbygrace
Rep:
?
(Original post by Yazomi)
You could find some on YouTube and how it sounds too
Yes I looked on there but couldn’t find stuff with the actual sheet music. Often things can sound a lot simpler/harder than they actually are
JP2000!!!
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by MiriamL)
I’ve been playing the piano since I was 5 (Now 16) but not really sure what grade I’m at. I’m working on playing Prelude 2 by Bach which is pretty advanced but it’s taking me a while. Would anyone be able to send pictures of pieces around the Grade 5/6/7 mark so I can try and determine which? Thank you!
Lol u sound grade 8 minimum - i don't know how you'd be at scales, sight reading and aural tests tho - that ****'s loooong
heldbygrace
Rep:
?
(Original post by JP2000!!!)
Lol u sound grade 8 minimum - i don't know how you'd be at scales, sight reading and aural tests tho - that ****'s loooong
Oh wow really? Scales and sight reading ok, but aural tests rubbish. However I think my school does alternative to ABRSM where you can choose to do extra sight reading instead of aural. I think its called Trinity?
JP2000!!!
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by MiriamL)
Oh wow really? Scales and sight reading ok, but aural tests rubbish. However I think my school does alternative to ABRSM where you can choose to do extra sight reading instead of aural. I think its called Trinity?
The Well-Tempered Clavier, Book I: Prelude and Fugue No. 2 in C minor, BWV 847: Prelude
I did that for my grade 8 lol
JP2000!!!
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
yes Trinity is another exam board - don't know much about it tbh
I did ABRSM grades and have been teaching ABRSM last couple of years now during GCSEs/A Levels
heldbygrace
Rep:
?
(Original post by JP2000!!!)
yes Trinity is another exam board - don't know much about it tbh
I did ABRSM grades and have been teaching ABRSM last couple of years now during GCSEs/A Levels
That's cool. How much practise would you say grade 6-8 piano needs a week? (If you had about 4-6 months to prepare).
chazwomaq
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Just look up an exam board and their syllabus e.g. https://gb.abrsm.org/en/our-exams/exam-syllabuses/

Then find the sheet music or look up youtube performances. That should give you an idea.

But two things to note. First, you can play most pieces* regardless of what grade you are at. It will just take longer to get it down. I would say if you are a competent grade 6 pianist, you would be able to learn the grade 6 syllabus pieces after a week or two of practice. If you are at grade 4 level, it might take you a couple of months.

Second, grades are about more than pieces. There is also the aural, sight reading, scales, theory etc.

*Excluding Moonlight Sonata 3rd movement, Hungarian rhapsody and so on!
heldbygrace
Rep:
?
(Original post by chazwomaq)
Just look up an exam board and their syllabus e.g. https://gb.abrsm.org/en/our-exams/exam-syllabuses/

Then find the sheet music or look up youtube performances. That should give you an idea.

But two things to note. First, you can play most pieces* regardless of what grade you are at. It will just take longer to get it down. I would say if you are a competent grade 6 pianist, you would be able to learn the grade 6 syllabus pieces after a week or two of practice. If you are at grade 4 level, it might take you a couple of months.

Second, grades are about more than pieces. There is also the aural, sight reading, scales, theory etc.

*Excluding Moonlight Sonata 3rd movement, Hungarian rhapsody and so on!
Thanks that's really helpful! If I take one it wont be until Septemeber - December ish so I have a while!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (408)
52.31%
No (372)
47.69%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed