The Student Room Group

Oxford V Cambridge? Which Do You Prefer?

Poll

Which CITY do you Prefer?

City wise that is, not uni wise :ahee: Which would you rather live in?

I work from home and am considering relocating to either (post pandemic of course) as I've recently gotten the promotion/pay rise that means I can :biggrin:. They're two of my favourite cities in the UK tbh, although I could go anywhere.

A few pictures for your time

(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Oxford is a better night out :h:
Well only one of these cities have a ford that allows access for my Ox to cross the thames. So probably that city, I like the convenience.
Oxford is prettier and bigger. It’s simply gorgeous and I plan to move there permanently.
I really liked the city when I visited Oxford, as much as I hate to admit it.
Well it depends Oxford is more humanities and Cambride is more tech-ish maths and all
I applied to Cambridge, but if we're just talking cities then I found Oxford fantastic when I visited: very impressive and beautiful place.
They look similar to me but I haven’t been to both
Original post by TheStarboy

How can they look similar having not even seen both?
Original post by DiddyDec
How can they look similar having not even seen both?

Heard from those who have gone there. They both historical towns with extremely well known unis inside them.
Original post by DiddyDec
Oxford is a better night out :h:

I haven't been on a night out in either sadly :frown: Are there loads of rahs in the clubs there? Haha
Original post by Celtic Conjurer
Oxford is prettier and bigger. It’s simply gorgeous and I plan to move there permanently.

It is lovely isn't it? :h: Definitely going to visit again this summer if I can. What's your favourite part of it?
Original post by Theloniouss
I really liked the city when I visited Oxford, as much as I hate to admit it.

Original post by ashtolga23
I applied to Cambridge, but if we're just talking cities then I found Oxford fantastic when I visited: very impressive and beautiful place.

Yeah, Oxford has this v elitist traditional feel in a great way (been to both). It seems to play up the history a bit more or at least I felt that way (what with seeing students in sub fusc, etc.)
Original post by TheStarboy

You'd think they would from pictures but there's a different feel between both places, hard to describe unless you visit aha
Original post by casperIO
I'm biased, but I prefer Cambridge. It's usually considered the more picturesque of the two, and in the summer its atmosphere is unbeatable as its easy to access the river, to walk to meadows, and to find nearby green space. Oxford is bigger, more populated, and more urban, and as such it didn't give me the same vibe.

Really? I always thought it was the other way around. I've visited both though, and am slightly gunning for Cambridge because of that quieter, safer feel though as you say. IIRC it's the safest city in the UK and certainly seems v quiet and green :h:

I do like that Oxford has more parks, things to do etc., but I don't feel as tranquil there although the history is next level.
Original post by PhoenixLady
It is lovely isn't it? :h: Definitely going to visit again this summer if I can. What's your favourite part of it?

It's sublime. I've been to Cambridge several times and while it's also stunning I got bored of the 3 streets very quickly and then I saw some areas very close to the centre which were just horrible and quite depressing. I need the life and vibrancy of Oxford and I feel it has more of those beautiful old buildings that have so much character and charm.

The city centre as a whole is my favourite but if I had to pick one location it would be Radcliffe Square because there are so many gorgeous buildings in such a small concentration, and the Radcliffe Camera itself is iconic as @Oxford Mum will most certainly agree. Which is your favourite part?
It's sublime. I've been to Cambridge several times and while it's also stunning I got bored of the 3 streets very quickly and then I saw some areas very close to the centre which were just horrible and quite depressing. I need the life and vibrancy of Oxford and I feel it has more of those beautiful old buildings that have so much character and charm.

The city centre as a whole is my favourite but if I had to pick one location it would be Radcliffe Square because there are so many gorgeous buildings in such a small concentration, and the Radcliffe Camera itself is iconic as @Oxford Mum will most certainly agree. Which is your favourite part?

I've only been to Cambridge a few times, sadly - which streets/areas were those if you don't mind me asking? I wouldn't have pictured any horrible areas close to the centre but I'm not massively familiar with the city. I do agree, Oxford is always buzzing, and it's also nice that it's so close to London, it's one of my favourite places to visit in summer.

That's a really good pick - it's just a stone's throw away from Brasenose College, etc. too as you say. If I were a better photographer, I could spend hours there. Oooh, probably a toss up between the Botanical Garden and Christ Church Meadow; both are two of the prettiest places I've ever been.
I've only been to Cambridge a few times, sadly - which streets/areas were those if you don't mind me asking? I wouldn't have pictured any horrible areas close to the centre but I'm not massively familiar with the city. I do agree, Oxford is always buzzing, and it's also nice that it's so close to London, it's one of my favourite places to visit in summer.

That's a really good pick - it's just a stone's throw away from Brasenose College, etc. too as you say. If I were a better photographer, I could spend hours there. Oooh, probably a toss up between the Botanical Garden and Christ Church Meadow; both are two of the prettiest places I've ever been.

Oh I don't know the names as I didn't write them down but they were close to the river, it was just weird how quickly the gorgeous core melted into rundown shops and grey streets.

Omg!!! Brasenose is my favourite college, it is literally heaven on Earth!! And I agree, in summer when all the buildings are illuminated and the grass sparkles an emerald green it is the most beautiful place in the entire galaxy. One could lie down there and die of the sheer beauty. Have you been to Port Meadow in the north? If not then I strongly suggest that too, it's beautiful. I was going to go last year but then covid hit and my reservations were all cancelled. But as soon as this situation lessens and it's safe then I'm going back, it's like my second home hehe.
Really? I always thought it was the other way around. I've visited both though, and am slightly gunning for Cambridge because of that quieter, safer feel though as you say. IIRC it's the safest city in the UK and certainly seems v quiet and green :h:

I do like that Oxford has more parks, things to do etc., but I don't feel as tranquil there although the history is next level.

Maybe I’ll visit them one day. They don’t seem that different from a glance
(edited 3 years ago)
Oh I don't know the names as I didn't write them down but they were close to the river, it was just weird how quickly the gorgeous core melted into rundown shops and grey streets.

Omg!!! Brasenose is my favourite college, it is literally heaven on Earth!! And I agree, in summer when all the buildings are illuminated and the grass sparkles an emerald green it is the most beautiful place in the entire galaxy. One could lie down there and die of the sheer beauty. Have you been to Port Meadow in the north? If not then I strongly suggest that too, it's beautiful. I was going to go last year but then covid hit and my reservations were all cancelled. But as soon as this situation lessens and it's safe then I'm going back, it's like my second home hehe.

It might have been Mill Road I'm guessing? I've heard from friends who studied there it's the area to "avoid" haha. Oh, I hate it when that happens, especially as a woman when you suddenly realise you're in a dodgy area.

I visited during an open day and just loved the whole buzz! I'm definitely going to have to visit at least this summer now :eek:. It's so close to many lovely places as well, like Blenheim Palace or Bicester Village. I've been to Port Meadow but not for years, but I remember bits of it, and the cows :colondollar: Ah, that's a shame, you can always return as you say though. It just has this atmosphere very few other places in the UK do, going to be so perfect once things get back to normal again. That + the beauty all around is a win win.
I haven't been on a night out in either sadly :frown: Are there loads of rahs in the clubs there? Haha

I don't really do clubs, mainly bars and pubs. The pubs are great.

There used to be some pretty good raves but I haven't done them for a few years and nothing compares to Bristol in that regard.
Original post by NeedHelp109
Well it depends Oxford is more humanities and Cambride is more tech-ish maths and all

This generalisation is not true. I used to think that, too.

Both my sons were beguiled by Brasenose. The younger one (who loves art) drew a very detailed picture of the facade of Brasenose when he was 14 and posted it off to the acting head of the college.

It was ages before he received a reply. In a handwritten note on a Brasenose calling card, he apologised, and said he had been working on the Hadron Collider (as you do). He said M was an "excellent draughtsman" and he would "display it in a prominent position" somewhere in his office.

Not sure if he ever did.

Hi @Celtic Conjurer Do you have all day?

It's not that I don't love Cambridge (If I had to choose my favourite cities in the UK they would be:

1) Oxford
2) Cambridge
3) London

Cambridge is beautiful and I love the impressive colleges (the main ones seem larger than the Oxford colleges) and yes, the city excites me, however as you so rightly say, 3 streets in and it could be any city, couldn't it?

They make more of the river in Cambridge, and it's fun sitting on the Trinity Hall wall and watching people punting and having a good time. However it also feels like Clapham Junction sometimes.

Punting on the Cherwell, though, has a much more tranquil feel. Once you pass the Magdalen Bridge you leave the world behind, as you glide effortlessly past St Hildas and the amazing botanical gardens (a must if you want another beautiful spot to rest your weary tourist legs, however there should be more places to sit down). There is also a very tempting green bit in the middle of the river, but I have never been to, and need to.

As for the two bookshops, Blackwells has the largest reading room in Europe, with a stunning mural leading majestically down to it. I love languages and they have all kinds of French and German books to lust over, including lots of classic films. In Cambridge, one shelf and it's over. This is a major let down.

The Turf Tavern, with its unique atmosphere and roster of star past diners (and I have spotted a rector dining there - you can't get more of a recommendation than that). I wouldn't eat anywhere else.

The Varsity Bar on the High is great if you like views. There is a rooftop bar with a glass "pod" (with furry rugs and plump cushions) where you can enjoy watching the world go by.

Have you been to the vintage clothes festival in the (equally stunning) town hall? It's fantastic

I love the mysterious All Souls College. It doesn't have students but you have to be "invited" to join. It is the Oxford of Oxford Colleges. It's funny but a tour guide actually erroneously pointed out elder son as one of the fellows there. Younger son sat down on a bench there and was approached by another fellow who asked him (taking him for "Aaaaandrew" if he was going to the formal dinner that evening. Boy was he tempted to go along!

There are some really unique events, like the tortoise race (I have reported on this before). This all adds to the fun image.

There is the Ashmolean, one of the best museums in the UK, with it's da Vinci drawings and occasional visiting Van Gogh paintings. You could spend a good day there alone.

Let's not forget the Malmaison hotel, a converted prison. I got to spend a night in one of the cells. Forgot to bring my handcuffs, though:s-smilie:

There are the gorgeous colleges of course (don't get me started on them)

I love languages, and I adore the international feel of Oxford and to hear these languages all around me as I negotiate the cobbles of Radcliffe Square.

Go through the Merton kissing gate or walk away from the tourists queueing for Christchurch and you are transported into yet another tranquil world. You can stroll down to the Thames and walk along the various college boat houses with nairy a tourist in sight.

A student friend of mine says that even in these Covid days he can enjoy a moonlit stroll around Christchurch meadows with a friend (social distancing of course) and it's wonderful. I am sooooooo jealous of this.

My favourite part, as you may have guessed, is sitting on the mound at Exeter College with that delicious view of Radcliffe square and my own avatar, the Radcliffe Camera. A person on TSR said I was the living embodiment of the Radcam and I would not disagree!

If I could live anywhere in the UK, it would be Oxford, so this will explain my vote.

Remember our wonderful day there @harrysbar
And you must have many memories of your own @9dobbo1

Quick Reply

Latest