kash_22
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am currently doing Maths, Chemistry, Physics and English Literature.
I have the option of doing Further Maths next year but... it's going to be too much work right even though I have a lot of work experience for it

Which should I do?
What work experience do I need for Chemical Engineering if I do it?
FerrousS
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Computer science and chemical engineering are very different courses. What do you like about each one?

Computer science is about computers and coding. Chemical Engineering is the application of chemical processes on a large industrial scale, with a specific emphasis on manufacturing.

For Chemical Engineering work experience isn't super important, as you won't be able to actually do much. I went to a water treatment plant and an agrichemical manufacturing plant. I mostly just shadowed people because there isn't much that health and safety allows an unqualified minor to do. I did get to do a little practical lab work in the agrichemical place, where we were testing effluent samples. While it was interesting, at the end of the day I don't know how much use it actually was in getting my university place. It is, however, possible to get better work experience in the form of summer placements, once you've actually started the degree.
plshelpmelol
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by kash_22)
I am currently doing Maths, Chemistry, Physics and English Literature.
I have the option of doing Further Maths next year but... it's going to be too much work right even though I have a lot of work experience for it

Which should I do?
What work experience do I need for Chemical Engineering if I
(Original post by FerrousS)
Computer science and chemical engineering are very different courses. What do you like about each one?

Computer science is about computers and coding. Chemical Engineering is the application of chemical processes on a large industrial scale, with a specific emphasis on manufacturing.

For Chemical Engineering work experience isn't super important, as you won't be able to actually do much. I went to a water treatment plant and an agrichemical manufacturing plant. I mostly just shadowed people because there isn't much that health and safety allows an unqualified minor to do. I did get to do a little practical lab work in the agrichemical place, where we were testing effluent samples. While it was interesting, at the end of the day I don't know how much use it actually was in getting my university place. It is, however, possible to get better work experience in the form of summer placements, once you've actually started the degree.
woah cool! I guess that was either in 2019 or 2020 right?
kash_22
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by FerrousS)

Oooh thank you!!

I think I just need to understand the basic concepts of each of the industries.
For chemical engineering is it strictly a job working at a plant or are there office jobs as well?? It seems like 'super curriculars' are very important like your work experience - it's just difficulty finding one i guess.
FerrousS
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by kash_22)
Oooh thank you!!

I think I just need to understand the basic concepts of each of the industries.
For chemical engineering is it strictly a job working at a plant or are there office jobs as well?? It seems like 'super curriculars' are very important like your work experience - it's just difficulty finding one i guess.
Chemical Engineering has a large design aspect, so there is that as well. There is office, lab, and plant work, and how much of each will vary depending on what the job is. There's also consultancy jobs, though you'd be unlikely to get one of those straight out of university.

Like I said, getting relevant work experience is kinda hard, and especially so during covid. If your grades, personal statement, etc are good enough you may be fine.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (62)
12.89%
Virtual campus tours/open days (112)
23.28%
Live streaming events (44)
9.15%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (46)
9.56%
A uni comparison tool (109)
22.66%
An in-person event when available (108)
22.45%