MuggyHarbour
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hi guys, first time posting on here so I have no clue if it is in the right section, 90% sure it isn't but hopefully someone will find it.

I am from the UK and am looking to go to Swansea University to study a 4 year software engineering course with a study year abroad for the 3rd year.

I was after some advice from anyone that has been to any US University. I am after the typical American college experience. Greek life, going to soccer games, parties, etc, as well as obviously the studying part.
But I want my year in the USA to be one to remember and I want to focus heavily on having a good time when I am out there. Although I am pretty sure I can apply to most universities the partnered Universities with Swansea are limited. I guess, without sounding like an idiot, my question is what are the best schools to go to in the US for party life /having fun and stuff other than studying? Thanks for your guy's help!!

Below I have listed the partnered Universities in case anyone was curious, it may help the decision.

kamara41
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
You're in luck because Swansea's partnered universities are all state universities which is exactly what you're looking for if you want the typical American college experience.

You mentioned “going to soccer games”. In collegiate sports, the elite schools are part of what is known as the Power 5 Conferences. All will have absolutely huge amounts of school spirit. The biggest sport will definitely be American football, followed by basketball (with a few exceptions) but you can definitely go watch European football as well. I’ll break down the schools in Power 5 Conferences:

Florida State University = about 30k undergrads, about 20% Greek, I believe FSU's engineering school is joint with Florida A&M so maybe look into what that means

Iowa State University = about 30k undergrads, about 15% Greek, Ames is a classic American college town, known for engineering

Louisiana State University = about 25k undergrads, about 20% Greek, an hour drive from New Orleans if you wanted to experience Mardi Gras, hope you like cajun food

Texas A&M University = about 55k undergrads (so COLOSSAL), about 10% Greek, College Station is a classic American college town, is very Texas

University of Oklahoma = about 20k undergrads, about 30% Greek, Norman is a classic American college town, have visited the OU campus and personally think it is the most beautiful of all those on this list (although I think LSU's campus is nice too)

University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign = about 35k undergrads (so big), about 25% Greek, Champaign is a classic American college town, probably more of a basketball school than American football, UIUC is known for engineering

University of Kansas = about 20k undergrads, about 20% Greek, Lawrence is a classic American college town, more of a basketball school than American football (KU actually INVENTED basketball)

University of Kentucky = about 20k undergrads, about 25% Greek, more of a basketball school than American football

University of South Carolina = about 25k undergrads, about 30% Greek

University of Tennessee Knoxville = about 25k undergrads, about 25% Greek, great if you love the outdoors as it's not far from Great Smoky Mountains National Park

University of Texas Austin = about 40k undergrads (so BIG), about 15% Greek, direct flights from London to Austin available, Austin is too big to be a college town but for the past decade has been one of the most moved to cities in the US as it's awesome though will mean a lot of the social scene is off-campus

University of Utah = about 25k undergrads, about 10% Greek, direct flights from London to Salt Lake City available, great if you love the outdoors (especially hiking and skiing) as it's in the foothills of the Wasatch Mountains, if you were worried it's only about 30% Mormon so has a thriving party scene just like the others, is only about a 10 minute drive from downtown SLC so more of the social life will take place off-campus than the others on this list

Washington State University = about 25k undergrads, about 20% Greek, Pullman is a classic American college town, great if you love the outdoors as southeast Washington allows access to skiing, great hiking, boating, and awesome camping

All of these schools, by nature of their size, will have thriving party scenes. I'm sure you can find lists of best party schools, but when it comes to P5 schools, you'd just be splitting hairs. One thing worth noting is that, as an exchange student, it will be very difficult to rush a fraternity or sorority as most would be cautious to extend a bid to someone only there for a year, but you could definitely still go to a lot of their parties without being Greek-affiliated.

I hope this helps give you a rough idea of each school. I'm in Y13 and currently have offers from Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, and LSU so I know those the best but I've visited in person or done virtual open houses for all of the other schools so if you want more information just let me know - I'd be more than happy to help!
MuggyHarbour
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(Original post by kamara41)
You're in luck because Swansea's partnered universities are all state universities which is exactly what you're looking for if you want the typical American college experience.

You mentioned “going to soccer games”. In collegiate sports, the elite schools are part of what is known as the Power 5 Conferences. All will have absolutely huge amounts of school spirit. The biggest sport will definitely be American football, followed by basketball (with a few exceptions) but you can definitely go watch European football as well. I’ll break down the schools in Power 5 Conferences:

Florida State University = about 30k undergrads, about 20% Greek, I believe FSU's engineering school is joint with Florida A&M so maybe look into what that means

Iowa State University = about 30k undergrads, about 15% Greek, Ames is a classic American college town, known for engineering

Louisiana State University = about 25k undergrads, about 20% Greek, an hour drive from New Orleans if you wanted to experience Mardi Gras, hope you like cajun food

Texas A&M University = about 55k undergrads (so COLOSSAL), about 10% Greek, College Station is a classic American college town, is very Texas

University of Oklahoma = about 20k undergrads, about 30% Greek, Norman is a classic American college town, have visited the OU campus and personally think it is the most beautiful of all those on this list (although I think LSU's campus is nice too)

University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign = about 35k undergrads (so big), about 25% Greek, Champaign is a classic American college town, probably more of a basketball school than American football, UIUC is known for engineering

University of Kansas = about 20k undergrads, about 20% Greek, Lawrence is a classic American college town, more of a basketball school than American football (KU actually INVENTED basketball)

University of Kentucky = about 20k undergrads, about 25% Greek, more of a basketball school than American football

University of South Carolina = about 25k undergrads, about 30% Greek

University of Tennessee Knoxville = about 25k undergrads, about 25% Greek, great if you love the outdoors as it's not far from Great Smoky Mountains National Park

University of Texas Austin = about 40k undergrads (so BIG), about 15% Greek, direct flights from London to Austin available, Austin is too big to be a college town but for the past decade has been one of the most moved to cities in the US as it's awesome though will mean a lot of the social scene is off-campus

University of Utah = about 25k undergrads, about 10% Greek, direct flights from London to Salt Lake City available, great if you love the outdoors (especially hiking and skiing) as it's in the foothills of the Wasatch Mountains, if you were worried it's only about 30% Mormon so has a thriving party scene just like the others, is only about a 10 minute drive from downtown SLC so more of the social life will take place off-campus than the others on this list

Washington State University = about 25k undergrads, about 20% Greek, Pullman is a classic American college town, great if you love the outdoors as southeast Washington allows access to skiing, great hiking, boating, and awesome camping

All of these schools, by nature of their size, will have thriving party scenes. I'm sure you can find lists of best party schools, but when it comes to P5 schools, you'd just be splitting hairs. One thing worth noting is that, as an exchange student, it will be very difficult to rush a fraternity or sorority as most would be cautious to extend a bid to someone only there for a year, but you could definitely still go to a lot of their parties without being Greek-affiliated.

I hope this helps give you a rough idea of each school. I'm in Y13 and currently have offers from Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, and LSU so I know those the best but I've visited in person or done virtual open houses for all of the other schools so if you want more information just let me know - I'd be more than happy to help!
This has helped me massively thank you. Can I private message you if I have any other particular questions?
kamara41
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by MuggyHarbour)
This has helped me massively thank you. Can I private message you if I have any other particular questions?
Yes of course!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.75%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (11)
13.75%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (14)
17.5%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
11.25%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
36.25%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (14)
17.5%

Watched Threads