DemBoyPaigon
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Anyone else finding it extremely difficult to focus assignments?
Hassan116
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Not really. I guess I’ve adapted to doing it all online and tbf its more efficient. But no social events, societies running in person just makes uni dead atm.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by DemBoyPaigon)
Hey DemBoyPaigon!

If you're finding it hard to concentrate then I can give you a few tips that may help
- first try to write yourself a plan of what you need to complete each week - and then finalise this to what you're going to do on each day.
I find if I don't complete something on such a day then I can either do it a different day or leave it to the weekend which I use for catching up on anything I may have missed/ not completed yet.

-Second, take lots of breaks during your work periods - if you do too much you'll get tired and start procrastinating, which isn't effective study time.
So maybe try 1 hour working followed by a 20 min break - see what works for you!

-You could also try working somewhere outside of your room (if you can), or try working at your desk if you don't already!

I hope this helps!
Eloise - Official Student Rep
Kingston University
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
We're all adapting to this new style of online learning and yes, it has taken a toll on motivation and drive in regards to doing work on all of us, you are not alone!

My advice would be to take regular breaks and set a deadline for YOURSELF to complete your assignment, this is a productivity hack that will help you get more work done.

Make sure you're getting fresh air too, it's not good to be in the same 4 walls all day.

Best of luck
Amit - Official Kingston Uni rep - Pharmacy Student
University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey DemBoyPaigon

I've found it really difficult to focus on uni work over the past few weeks, I think it will just take a bit of time to get back into a routine after the Christmas break. Do you have a routine in place? I try to get up early and do work in the mornings on the days I don't have classes, this means I've got the rest of the day to relax or start on my uni work that's due for the end of the week. We had our exams for two weeks before Christmas and I was really struggling to concentrate but I found that if I spread out my studying throughout the day and had an hour lunch break to go for a walk then I was more productive. I've also found different study spots around the flat where I can get a change of scenery. I'll do my tutorials at my desk in the office then if I need to study later on, I'll do this in the living room where I listen to music.

Hope this helps

Melissa- Student Ambassador
MKaur18
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yesss! SO hard to concentrate. There is so much work and i'm just finding it hard in lockdown.
CoffeeAndPolitics
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Can certainly relate with this. I'm currently in the middle of working on assignments which I've got an extended deadline for and it's just hard to focus and ngl I feel demotivated - the resumption of uni teaching online for the new term this week has helped a bit with motivation. I particularly enjoy my Zoom seminars for politics and find it really useful to consolidate what we've learnt. Atm, I'm just really annoyed about a pissy departmental email that my head of department sent to my cohort (and presumably the other cohorts in my department) which is borderline passive agressive. I don't want to go into detail as it's confidential, but he didn't even to hope that we had a nice festive break, that our assignments and exams went well, and hope that we're coping ok given everything Covid has thrown at us which I found quite rude.

I don't even know anymore, but at least my academic supervisor is really lovely and supportive with everything.
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I've been doing my PhD online since the pandemic began, and so many of my peers (including myself) have had to rethink their whole research due to in-person experiments being off the table for most people. Research students are definitely being overlooked for extensions, as we're expected to just carry on like nothing's happened pretty much (as we are already independently studying/researching anyway).
MiriCumberbatch6
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Literally the motivation this year is non-existent cuz of lockdown. Definitely taking a toll on the quality of my work with no social life either.
TheYearNiner
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
I've been doing my PhD online since the pandemic began, and so many of my peers (including myself) have had to rethink their whole research due to in-person experiments being off the table for most people. Research students are definitely being overlooked for extensions, as we're expected to just carry on like nothing's happened pretty much (as we are already independently studying/researching anyway).
It's easy for people to forget about Masters/PhD students, I really hope it goes well for you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (651)
48.44%
No (693)
51.56%

Watched Threads