Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’ve already applied to unis and decided what uni I would really want to go to, but recently with COVID I have been having doubts with whether it’s worth going to uni this year. I really want the full experience like with proper face-to-face lectures, as online learning has been difficult for me. Of course I could defer a year, but then I’m also worried I’d do nothing in that 1 year and would just waste my time. If there is still this COVID this September would the experience just involve me being stuck in my uni flat doing online lessons all day? As I despise that I would have to pay £9k+ a year for that kind of experience.

Are there actually a lot of people applying this year? If so, Why have you decided to go this year and not defer?
_Nikky_
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi I got an offer from Met Film School in London, and I'm having the same issue. Since the course is very practical and hands-on I haven't fully decided on whether or not to defer; in fact I've recently contacted the school regarding the best course of action.

I have a couple of friends studying in London at the moment and they both said that the experience does get ruined a bit, but at the same time they said that a BA is a long course, so it might be worth starting out this year so as not to delay graduation.

In all honesty, I really don't want to graduate a year later, but at the same time I don't want to pay all that money to have my experience be ruined. I'm really really indecisive at the moment, and would love to hear other people's opinions.
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I’ve already applied to unis and decided what uni I would really want to go to, but recently with COVID I have been having doubts with whether it’s worth going to uni this year. I really want the full experience like with proper face-to-face lectures, as online learning has been difficult for me. Of course I could defer a year, but then I’m also worried I’d do nothing in that 1 year and would just waste my time. If there is still this COVID this September would the experience just involve me being stuck in my uni flat doing online lessons all day? As I despise that I would have to pay £9k+ a year for that kind of experience.

Are there actually a lot of people applying this year? If so, Why have you decided to go this year and not defer?
I’ve firmed my offer but now I’m thinking about doing a gap year because I don’t think it’s worth paying for uni, paying for an accommodation just to use my laptop for a couple of hours and then do nothing after. While commuting is an option, the price of commuting for me for two days is worth a weeks rent. I think by taking a gap year hopefully better measures can be made for newer students.
Kelivesy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
My daughter is the same. I think wait until May when we should know more about what is happening with Covid. Then make a decision. If you are going to attend university then you want the whole experience. However, if lots of people decide to wait until next year then there maybe a lot more people applying for the same course and you may not get a place. Some universities don’t allow you to defer so you would have to apply all over again.
tipexmaster25
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey I'm feeling the same as you- I haven't got any offers yet as I'm still doing interviews, but I'm worried with what it'll be like in 2021. I think I'm gonna wait until May to see what the situation's like and see what offers I have, and if it's not looking hopeful then I'll see if anywhere would let me defer. I think a lot of students are gonna have this idea though so idk.. I don't wanna take a gap year and reapply though because then I'll have to do all the admissions tests again.
cchloepx
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I had the same thoughts but the thought of living at home for another year makes me miserable and I feel like if I deferred a year I wouldn’t want to go to uni at all.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I’ve firmed my offer but now I’m thinking about doing a gap year because I don’t think it’s worth paying for uni, paying for an accommodation just to use my laptop for a couple of hours and then do nothing after. While commuting is an option, the price of commuting for me for two days is worth a weeks rent. I think by taking a gap year hopefully better measures can be made for newer students.
Yeah that’s completely understandable!! I hate the idea that they are still going to charge us over £9k+ for us to just be doing online lessons 🙃 Hopefully some new measures are introduced for uni students!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (116)
52.25%
No (106)
47.75%

Watched Threads