IAL Chemistry Unit 5 Jan 2021 Discussion (WCH15)

Watch
*****deadness
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
How was the paper? I don’t think there’s a thread for this one already so I’ll start.
I thought it was pretty bad, quite a bit worse than the October 2020 one (I got 74 as practice but was shocked it was full UMS). There was a 6 marker essay on catalysts there so I thought it would never come up again, but there it was again in the paper today. Good thing I remember the equations. I also had no idea about the 2 synthesis ones, usually alright at those so gutted, and the combustion question also threw me right off with the KOH. How did everyone else find it? Grade boundary predictions?
Always blank
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
For the first synthesis, use iodoform test reaction, acidify and use LiAlH4 in dry ether.
For the second synthesis, use Grignard reagent to form a tertiary alcohol and then use concentrated phosphoric acid/sulfuric acid for dehydration.
For the combustion problem, it is C4H8.
Äries
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Always blank)
For the first synthesis, use iodoform test reaction, acidify and use LiAlH4 in dry ether.
For the second synthesis, use Grignard reagent to form a tertiary alcohol and then use concentrated phosphoric acid/sulfuric acid for dehydration.
Failed to guess the alkene synthesis, I got a butan-1,2-diol at last.
The Contact Process problem I guessed a little bit, vanadium reduced then oxidised alternatively.
*****deadness
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Äries)
Failed to guess the alkene synthesis, I got a butan-1,2-diol at last.
The Contact Process problem I guessed a little bit, vanadium reduced then oxidised alternatively.
Me too, I got to butane-2,2-diol and just said it'll somehow dehydrate to the alkene with H2SO4.
I was lucky and went over the contact process, even though I really didn't expect it after the last paper's 6 marker to be on catalysts too. I was really surprised when I saw the question.
zero0000
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Always blank)
Are you sure about the combustion question?
Always blank
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by zero0000)
Are you sure about the combustion question?
Yes, pretty sure.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (4)
8.89%
Virtual campus tours/open days (9)
20%
Live streaming events (4)
8.89%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (5)
11.11%
A uni comparison tool (11)
24.44%
An in-person event when available (12)
26.67%