It's "Blue Monday" - how are you feeling?

Watch
BurstingBubbles
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Today is 'Blue Monday' which is said to be the most 'depressing' day of the year. This is often said to be due to the dark nights, bad weather, and aftermath of festive cheer. So how are you feeling today? :hugs:

The science behind 'Blue Monday' has been debunked so here are some alternatives: PAPYRUS's 'Sooth Monday' and Samaritian's 'Brew Monday'

Of course it's not just about today, but looking after your wellbeing all year round - here are some tips:

• Take some time to look after yourself. Read a good book, have a nice relaxing bath, eat some yummy food, watch a funny TV show, chat to a friend/family member.
  • Set up a Wellbeing blog to help you to keep looking after your wellbeing!

• Meditation apps which could help: Smiling Minds and Headspace
What are your tips?

In more serious situations, you can contact the following services:
  • PAPYRUS: 0800 068 4141, texting 07786 209697, or emailing [email protected] (available 9am-12am midnight, every day of the year)

In an urgent (imminent/current danger) situation, please call 999 for an ambulance or go to your nearest A&E.
Last edited by BurstingBubbles; 1 month ago
Bexjw
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It’s my first day back at work after annual leave (first annual leave since August). This morning was not enjoyable and I’m wishing it to be 8pm already!

I’m also day one of more heathy/ controlled diet so that’s a bit of a challenge.

Other than that, I’m okay! How are you?
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Blue Monday is a marketing myth. Aside from that pretty awful. I'm depressed and alone, likely to remain so for some months while being as usual unable to access any support from the NHS.
BurstingBubbles
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bexjw)
It’s my first day back at work after annual leave (first annual leave since August). This morning was not enjoyable and I’m wishing it to be 8pm already!

I’m also day one of more heathy/ controlled diet so that’s a bit of a challenge.

Other than that, I’m okay! How are you?
Did you enjoy your time off and were you able to relax at least? Going back to work after annual leave is always hard, but you've got this :dumbells:

Healthy eating can be hard - I've done the same for the last year and seen huge benefits though, so if you can, keep with it :hugs:

Good to hear! I'm okay too thank you for asking, actually in a better mood today then yesterday :holmes:
BurstingBubbles
Rep:
?
(Original post by DiddyDec)
Blue Monday is a marketing myth. Aside from that pretty awful. I'm depressed and alone, likely to remain so for some months while being as usual unable to access any support from the NHS.
Yes, the idea of it was created by a travel company I believe. However I think this time of year, even if not just today, is particularly hard. That must be really hard, is that because you're on a waiting list or just can't get into the service? (obviously don't answer if you're not comfortable to!)
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by BurstingBubbles)
Yes, the idea of it was created by a travel company I believe. However I think this time of year, even if not just today, is particularly hard. That must be really hard, is that because you're on a waiting list or just can't get into the service? (obviously don't answer if you're not comfortable to!)
I'm on a waiting list for one and can't get into the other because I am not near crisis point.
Last edited by DiddyDec; 1 month ago
BurstingBubbles
Rep:
?
I'm on a waiting list for one and can't get into the other because I am not near crisis point.
I assume the waiting lists are long at the moment? Although better to be on a waiting list and moving up than not be on one at all.

Some people put off getting support because of the waiting list but they could be moving closer to support, even if it slowly moving towards it.
BluMoon06
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
im doing well, feeling happy ish (online school) and have bben having fun with my friends after one of them panicked me a bit lmao im honestly feeling really amazing
BurstingBubbles
Rep:
?
(Original post by BluMoon06)
im doing well, feeling happy ish (online school) and have bben having fun with my friends after one of them panicked me a bit lmao im honestly feeling really amazing
That's great to hear do you prefer online school to in person?
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I assume the waiting lists are long at the moment? Although better to be on a waiting list and moving up than not be on one at all.

Some people put off getting support because of the waiting list but they could be moving closer to support, even if it slowly moving towards it.
My GP advised I would unlikely to be seen this year. Doesn't fill me with much hope.

It is incredibly demoralising to be constantly told that you need to seek help/reach out and when you actually do you either get turned away or told they can't help anytime soon. Charities only really plug to gap to vent or once you have reached crisis.

The real messaging should be you are going to have to learn to deal with it yourself because there little help available and certainly not long term support.
SuperiorPotato
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I swear it's blue Monday on all Mondays :bored:
BluMoon06
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
That's great to hear do you prefer online school to in person?
no definitely not but its brought me closer to my online friends cos im on here more often lol
BurstingBubbles
Rep:
?
My GP advised I would unlikely to be seen this year. Doesn't fill me with much hope.

It is incredibly demoralising to be constantly told that you need to seek help/reach out and when you actually do you either get turned away or told they can't help anytime soon. Charities only really plug to gap to vent or once you have reached crisis.

The real messaging should be you are going to have to learn to deal with it yourself because there little help available and certainly not long term support.
That's really tough. The mental health services are just not built for the need there is. Really wish there was something I could do to help or fix it.

Do you find anything helps at all, even a little bit? Anything that you enjoy?
BurstingBubbles
Rep:
?
(Original post by SuperiorPotato)
I swear it's blue Monday on all Mondays :bored:
Very true! Difficult getting back into routine after the weekend
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
That's really tough. The mental health services are just not built for the need there is. Really wish there was something I could do to help or fix it.

Do you find anything helps at all, even a little bit? Anything that you enjoy?
In a cruel twist of irony I actually design mental health units/centres among other NHS infrastructure. I spend more time in those places doing surveys than I ever have getting treatment.

Going for walks with people helps but they are few and far between at the moment.
jackmarshal757
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Go private, service is much better quality and don’t have to be on a waiting list.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by jackmarshal757)
Go private, service is much better quality and don’t have to be on a waiting list.
Private costs money and my cover lapsed. I will struggle to get a new policy due to health issues.
Pathway
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Private costs money and my cover lapsed. I will struggle to get a new policy due to health issues.
:hugs: Sorry to hear you're struggling so much, if I can do anything, let me know?
username2982648
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As blue as a blueberry.
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Feeling tired and i have a headache, but that isnt exclusive to mondays. I will be happier when these shifts get scrapped so i can stop hemorrhaging money on taxis. Other keyworkers seem to get bonuses and lunch spreads, all we get is 'be here at your new time or you have to use your holidays. Failing to use holidays means you lose wages'.
Im sure next monday will be worse since its rotating to the 6am shift then so i have to wake up at 4am.
Will probably end up getting an e-bike if this goes on much longer. Hopefully when the national lockdown ends we will go back to our usual scheduled times.
At least i have a few supportive friends, recieved a very cute card on Friday. Its easy to feel invisible as a non nhs keyworker otherwise.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (405)
52.26%
No (370)
47.74%

Watched Threads