The Student Room Group

If you study common law, can you practice in England?

Sorry for all the questions about law I ask on here, I feel like I'm so annoying!

I'm looking into this Bachelor's degree which is French Law and Common Law for 3 years. Would this be advantageous if I ever want to practice law in England if I wanted to? Or would it prepare me to pass some sort of exam for example? I understand that common law might be a bit broad?
Original post by chloenix
Sorry for all the questions about law I ask on here, I feel like I'm so annoying!

I'm looking into this Bachelor's degree which is French Law and Common Law for 3 years. Would this be advantageous if I ever want to practice law in England if I wanted to? Or would it prepare me to pass some sort of exam for example? I understand that common law might be a bit broad?

Hi! As long as the degree is a Qualifying Law Degree (should say on the modules page) then it will allow for you to progress onto the next stage of the qualification process which is the SQE.

As for it being advantageous, that is slightly true. However not having a common law degree is not a barrier to qualifying into the UK job market.
It sounds unusual and may well not be a "qualifying law degree" and may not be one which helps you pass the SQE1 exam which is the new system from Autumn 2021.
If you study French law (civil code) and also the whole of common law I suspect there will not be enough time to do all the usual English law you do on a 3 year LLB.
Reply 3
Original post by ImaraMwadzaya
Hi! As long as the degree is a Qualifying Law Degree (should say on the modules page) then it will allow for you to progress onto the next stage of the qualification process which is the SQE.

As for it being advantageous, that is slightly true. However not having a common law degree is not a barrier to qualifying into the UK job market.

Original post by 17Student17
It sounds unusual and may well not be a "qualifying law degree" and may not be one which helps you pass the SQE1 exam which is the new system from Autumn 2021.
If you study French law (civil code) and also the whole of common law I suspect there will not be enough time to do all the usual English law you do on a 3 year LLB.

Thank you both for your help, I've now managed to figure it out! :smile:
Reply 4
i'm not fully sure what you mean in the op, as England is a common law country and that's what you'd be studying if you were doing a straight LLB. do you mean is studying French civil law an advantage for an exam? not outside your degree because you won't be tested on civil law otherwise. as another user stated just make sure it's a qualifying law degree (check the uni website) and at the best school you can get your hands on.
Reply 5
Original post by Joleee
i'm not fully sure what you mean in the op, as England is a common law country and that's what you'd be studying if you were doing a straight LLB. do you mean is studying French civil law an advantage for an exam? not outside your degree because you won't be tested on civil law otherwise. as another user stated just make sure it's a qualifying law degree (check the uni website) and at the best school you can get your hands on.

It was a degree at a university abroad, this one to be precise: https://www.u-paris2.fr/en/bachelors-degrees , so I feel like the circumstance might have been a bit different and it was hard to see if it was a QLD! :redface:

But since writing this post I've done a bit more research and decided I don't want to study it for other reasons, but thank you both for your help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending