SorryMedic
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Haven't seen one made, my bad if there is... After the way my interviews have gone, I thought we could cry together
rainbowhorse2003
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Oof where did you apply?😭
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by SorryMedic)
Haven't seen one made, my bad if there is... After the way my interviews have gone, I thought we could cry together
Don't lose hope, you could all still get places to start at Medicine 2021 via UCAS Extra / Clearing.

The only crucial thing is to not hold an offer.

And another reminder - if all else fails, take a gap year and reapply to standard undergrad medicine.
SorryMedic
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by ecolier)
Don't lose hope, you could all still get places to start at Medicine 2021 via UCAS Extra / Clearing.

The only crucial thing is to not hold an offer.

And another reminder - if all else fails, take a gap year and reapply to standard undergrad medicine.
PRSOM. Thanks, you're always so helpful. It's crazy how much people you've helped get into medicine, you have some good karma coming your way!
Levi.-
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Rejected by imperial:
"The following feedback has been provided for your application:

Unfortunately you did not obtain the required standard in your BMAT test for your application to be progressed further."
Goldfinch03
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I've been rejected by 3 medical schools pre interview so far (Oxford, Keele, Nottingham) and I'm not sure if UCL (Access scheme) will give me an interview, my BMAT score isn't great as well (3.9,5.4 and 3.0A) I know that my UCAT was low (2310), and I tried to apply to universities that didn't have a strong emphasis on it and how competitive it is to get into Oxford, especially during this application cycle, but I'm feeling really lost about my chances of getting into medical school. It's really demotivating preparing for interviews just to face more rejections, especially during lockdown at the moment, I feel like I'm doing everything wrong. Do you guys have any advice, Thanks.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Goldfinch03)
I've been rejected by 3 medical schools pre interview so far (Oxford, Keele, Nottingham) and I'm not sure if UCL (Access scheme) will give me an interview, my BMAT score isn't great as well (3.9,5.4 and 3.0A) I know that my UCAT was low (2310), and I tried to apply to universities that didn't have a strong emphasis on it and how competitive it is to get into Oxford, especially during this application cycle, but I'm feeling really lost about my chances of getting into medical school. It's really demotivating preparing for interviews just to face more rejections, especially during lockdown at the moment, I feel like I'm doing everything wrong. Do you guys have any advice, Thanks.
Well if UCL rejects you then I would have a look at UCAS Extra / Clearing to see which med schools go into it.

If you're not successful, then prepare to take the UCAT / BMAT again and apply again for standard undergrad medicine 2022 entry.
11OME49
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm a newly reject. 😅. Would it be too early to start contacting unis to see if they participate in ucas extra?
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by 11OME49)
I'm a newly reject. 😅. Would it be too early to start contacting unis to see if they participate in ucas extra?
Yes. I will tell you (i.e. make a thread) when UCAS Extra starts.
coralfriend
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi, I am an international student and I am recently rejected by Oxford medicine. I have a pretty decent BMAT score so I got an interview, but I still couldn't get an offer. I really wanted to study medicine in Oxford, and I knew that taking a gap year and reapplying next year is not a wise choice. What should I do? Could I have other opportunities in the future to study there? If yes, how?
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by coralfriend)
Hi, I am an international student and I am recently rejected by Oxford medicine. I have a pretty decent BMAT score so I got an interview, but I still couldn't get an offer. I really wanted to study medicine in Oxford, and I knew that taking a gap year and reapplying next year is not a wise choice. What should I do? Could I have other opportunities in the future to study there? If yes, how?
Oxford international admissions is always going to be incredibly competitive. There's absolutely no guarantee that you'll be able to do it for 2022 entry.

The competition ratio is insane, it's nearly 100 applicants to 1 offer - do you think you will be 1st out of 100 people?

Also, at the end of the day a medicine degree is a medicine degree. Would you rather be a doctor or an Oxford graduate? That's your choice.

My advice: if you have a medical offer anywhere else - take that up. If you don't? Then take a gap year and reapply to standard undergrad medicine - you can pick Oxford as one of your choices but don't be too confident.
CRAY!
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thanks for starting this thread
I have received rejections from all four unis
I’m a grad (adult nurse) with work experience
My UCAT is not the best 2430 and band 1
My GCSEs and A Levels are not great
Wanted to go through clearing but I’m not sure how to start or when to contact unis or where to apply.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by CRAY!)
Thanks for starting this thread
I have received rejections from all four unis
I’m a grad (adult nurse) with work experience
My UCAT is not the best 2430 and band 1
My GCSEs and A Levels are not great
Wanted to go through clearing but I’m not sure how to start or when to contact unis or where to apply.
Not now, I'll start a Clearing / Extra thread soon so keep track of that.
CRAY!
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ecolier)
Not now, I'll start a Clearing / Extra thread soon so keep track of that.
Thank you 🙏🏾
nexttime
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by coralfriend)
~79 out of 80 international applicants are rejected, so hopefully this is not a surprise. You did really well to get an interview.

Taking a gap year in order to reapply would not be a good idea no, just because the chance of success is so small.

So do you have a place on another medical course you will be going into?

You can attend Oxford later for a postgraduate degree. Medicine isn't really ideally suited though, as you tend to have pretty rigid career pathways after graduation, depending on where you are. But if you can find a gap and financial flexibility to take a year out to do a masters, its an option. You could even take time out to do a PhD there as well, though that is also competitive.

You could work in the Oxford deanery as a doctor too of course, though its not really like being a member of the uni.
jm17212
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
has anyone been rejected from ucl pre interview?
Darksilver
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I got rejected today
Sweet122
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Kinda down but where do I got from here? Is it worth applying again? Should I use ucas extra to do a different course ? Should I risk going through med clearing ?
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi, I've moved post to the medicine forum

I think a non-trivial number of med school applicants end up with no offers (nexttime might have that particular statistic?) and so reapplying is not uncommon. If you are committed to medicine as a career it is always better to try clearing and taking a gap year (or several...) to reapply, provided there isn't a glaring reason you've been rejected (e.g. serious prior conviction, wrong subjects, etc).

The alternatives, assuming you are still aiming for medicine as an ultimate goal, are to apply to another degree and get in and either a) hope it's one that has an internal medicine transfer or b) finish the degree and apply to graduate entry medicine. Both those options are much more competitive than standard entry medicine, so it's generally better to reapply.

Also the GEM route, even if you go to a standard entry course as a graduate which makes it less competitive to get into, is still much more time consuming and expensive as there is limited funding for graduates doing a second degree in medicine (there is some, which is more than most other degree subjects, but you will need to pay at least some costs out of pocket for the preclinical years - year 1 of a GEM course or years 1-4 of a standard medicine course).

ecolier can probably offer some advice well!
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Sweet122)
Kinda down but where do I got from here? Is it worth applying again? Should I use ucas extra to do a different course ? Should I risk going through med clearing ?
No, you should never do a degree with the sole aim for graduate entry medicine. It'll take longer, cost more and (most importantly) will be much more competitive.

Your options:

(1) try for medicine 2021 via UCAS Extra / Clearing. Med schools do go in it but will have the same / slightly higher entry requirements. I don't see what your risk is - you don't lose anything and could gain everything;

(2) take a gap year and reapply to standard undergrad medicine 2022 entry.

(Original post by artful_lounger)
...ecolier can probably offer some advice well!
:ta:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (207)
51.88%
No (192)
48.12%

Watched Threads