The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sarah1520
Thank you!
Do you or anyone happen to know if kings pharmacy even enter clearing or extra/if they have done in previous years?

That's ok! I'm sorry I don't know if Kings went into clearing/extra but most pharmacy schools have entered clearing and/or extra in previous years. I will try and find out if Kings did last year. :smile:
Looks like I'll be needing this thread :u: all of my interviews went badly
Original post by starrystudy

You should be proud of yourself, at least you got an interview!! and since you said 'all' seems like you had more than one which is amazing!
Good luck and I hope those offers come through soon :biggrin:

Congrats on even getting interviews, that's a huge achievement in itself! Being honest, you are the worst judge of your interview performance and points that you made that you might think were not good may actually be very valid and the interviewer(s) could have liked your ideas. It's hard to say but try not to worry about it!
I'm in a similar position to you, I'm still waiting to hear back from 2 unis - one interview didn't go too well (Liverpool) and the other was for a very competitive med school with a low interview to offer ratio (Edge Hill)!!! - I've already had 2 pre-interview rejections. It's hard not to lose hope but I'm sure you did better than you think! :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
You should be proud of yourself, at least you got an interview!! and since you said 'all' seems like you had more than one which is amazing!
Good luck and I hope those offers come through soon :biggrin:

Thank you so much!! I had three interviews and one pre-interview rejection ahh! I came out of all of them feeling quite unsure, but I really hope I get at least one offer. Good luck as well xx :biggrin:

Original post by tj21
Congrats on even getting interviews, that's a huge achievement in itself! Being honest, you are the worst judge of your interview performance and points that you made that you might think were not good may actually be very valid and the interviewer(s) could have liked your ideas. It's hard to say but try not to worry about it!
I'm in a similar position to you, I'm still waiting to hear back from 2 unis - one interview didn't go too well (Liverpool) and the other was for a very competitive med school with a low interview to offer ratio (Edge Hill)!!! - I've already had 2 pre-interview rejections. It's hard not to lose hope but I'm sure you did better than you think! :smile:

Thank you so so much! One of my interviews was a rollercoaster from beginning to finish, but I completely agree, I hope (through the gibberish), they liked the points I was making!
Good luck- I'm in the same position right now, I'm waiting to hear back from one competitive uni, and another where my interview went badly (I was put on the waiting list for another post-interview , and received a pre-interview rejection for another). Thank you so much and good luck to you too - I really hope those offers roll in for us :biggrin:
Hi guys, just wondering if I could get your advice. I applied to 4 med unis and 1 biomed. I have received an offer to do Biomed but unfortunately I have 4 rejections before interview. Just wondering if people could give any good advice on what I should consider for next steps. My plan is to get the best A- levels as possible and reapply next year, however, I was wondering if clearing would be an option before I receive grades. Thanks guys :smile:
Thank you so much!! I had three interviews and one pre-interview rejection ahh! I came out of all of them feeling quite unsure, but I really hope I get at least one offer. Good luck as well xx :biggrin:

Thank you so so much! One of my interviews was a rollercoaster from beginning to finish, but I completely agree, I hope (through the gibberish), they liked the points I was making!
Good luck- I'm in the same position right now, I'm waiting to hear back from one competitive uni, and another where my interview went badly (I was put on the waiting list for another post-interview , and received a pre-interview rejection for another). Thank you so much and good luck to you too - I really hope those offers roll in for us :biggrin:

Thank you! Yes, fingers crossed there's good news for all of us!! :smile:
This sort of a silly question but is there a specific way to request for feedback after a rejection? like a set format or something which is commonly written in the email. I may be overthinking this but I just want to get as much feedback as I can from admissions so i dont want to mess up this email :biggrin:
This sort of a silly question but is there a specific way to request for feedback after a rejection? like a set format or something which is commonly written in the email. I may be overthinking this but I just want to get as much feedback as I can from admissions so i dont want to mess up this email :biggrin:

Not a silly question at all! All you need to do is just send a simple email to medical admissions asking for some feedback, as long as you give your UCAS personal ID and your full name as it appears on the UCAS application I don't see why they wouldn't give you any. How detailed the feedback is depends on the university, some give more detailed and personal feedback, others give a more vague response. Hope this helps!
Thank you!
Do you think they'll be more spaces for clearing this year?
Before declining 5th choice offer for clearing, is it possible to call the uni for 5th option that you will be declining them to have another shot at medicine but if it doesnt work then you would happily take the 5th option or will this completely backfire :dontknow:
Hi Everyone!
Has anyone on here been rejected from all unis for medicine on UCAS? If so...what did you do next?
Hi, you might find this thread helpful https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6915438 :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Hi! If all of your universities reject you, I think there is a process called Extra (not entirely sure what that is about) but if you really want to go to university this year, the go through Clearing - you may or may not find the same course but in a different university, or you might find a complete different course that interests you. Always make sure to keep your options open, don't feel disheartened or anything.
There are a few options for you:

Gap year and reapply this is a popular option and there are a lot of people who get into medical school at their second or even third attempt. One of the advantages to this is that you will already have your A level grades and can target your applications - and you have experience of doing BMAT/UCAT.

Do a different degree and apply as a graduate while this is a good option for some, it does have MAJOR disadvantages. You'd need to get at least a 2:i in order to apply as a graduate. Its ludicrously competitive - even worse than 5 year Medicine. Financially it's difficult as well although is Graduate entry its still an undergrad course and you wont get a second Student Loan, so unless you've got savings .....

Think very seriously about doing Medical Sciences instead. Many people get obsessed about 'being a Doctor' and don't realise that cutting edge research into disease, immunology and other areas like neuroscience, cancer biology, genetics, parasitology, immunology and even forensics, is often FAR more interesting and exciting than being a medic. It's where the future of medicine is being developed and discovered. Do you want to look at antibiotic resistance, research vaccines against SARS and Ebola, develop ground-breaking cancer treatments? Remember, doctors don't win Nobel Prizes - Medical Scientists do.

Did you get an Offer for your Fifth choice? Presumably you applied for this because it was an acceptable alternative to A100. (And if it wasn't, why on earth did you apply for it?). Go for it. Not everyone can become a doctor. As with the suggestion above about Medical Sciences, there are plenty of other areas of 'medicine' beyond actually being a doctor. The world also needs ambitious biochemists, pharmacologists and neuroscientists. You shouldn't regard this option as 'failure' - its simply working in a parallel area.
Original post by McGinger

Gap year and reapply this is a popular option and there are a lot of people who get into medical school at their second or even third attempt. One of the advantages to this is that you will already have your A level grades and can target your applications - and you have experience of doing BMAT/UCAT.

Do a different degree and apply as a graduate while this is a good option for some, it does have MAJOR disadvantages. You'd need to get at least a 2:i in order to apply as a graduate. Its ludicrously competitive - even worse than 5 year Medicine. Financially it's difficult as well although is Graduate entry its still an undergrad course and you wont get a second Student Loan, so unless you've got savings .....

Think very seriously about doing Medical Sciences instead. Many people get obsessed about 'being a Doctor' and don't realise that cutting edge research into disease, immunology and other areas like neuroscience, cancer biology, genetics, parasitology, immunology and even forensics, is often FAR more interesting and exciting than being a medic. It's where the future of medicine is being developed and discovered. Do you want to look at antibiotic resistance, research vaccines against SARS and Ebola, develop ground-breaking cancer treatments? Remember, doctors don't win Nobel Prizes - Medical Scientists do.

Did you get an Offer for your Fifth choice? Presumably you applied for this because it was an acceptable alternative to A100. (And if it wasn't, why on earth did you apply for it?). Go for it. Not everyone can become a doctor. As with the suggestion above about Medical Sciences, there are plenty of other areas of 'medicine' beyond actually being a doctor. The world also needs ambitious biochemists, pharmacologists and neuroscientists. You shouldn't regard this option as 'failure' - its simply working in a parallel area.

This is an excellent post. However, it has one inaccuracy, and misses out a couple options.

The inaccuracy is that you need to self-fund graduate-entry medicine. You don't, except for a quirk that means you have to self-fund about £3000 of first year fees. Otherwise there is an arrangement that your fees are covered and you can get loans for living expenses too.

The first missed option is clearing/adjustment. Now, this is a bit of a footnote as it is very competitive. Medical schools do not enter clearing in the normal sense i.e. because they have spare places left over they need to fill. Instead, they enter as they want to pick up highly qualified candidates who perhaps decided a little late or perhaps were unlucky with their original application. Its really hard to get into but you lose nothing by trying, if your plan is otherwise to take a gap year.

The second is doing medicine abroad, which is fraught with difficulty and a major commitment, but its an option.

I'm sure this thread will be merged with the main 'rejections' thread shortly.

Original post by firephoenix
Hi Everyone!
Has anyone on here been rejected from all unis for medicine on UCAS? If so...what did you do next?

Yes, they have. Far more than would admit it. This year something like 66% of applicants will receive 4 rejections, so don't feel too bad you're actually in the majority. Medicine is really hard to get into. Take a couple days to process it if you need to - its important you get the next steps right and that you're thinking clearly.

See the above for some advice, and the main thread linked here. There's a bit of a debate on there too about when you should go for gap year when to give up/go for GEM, which hopefully you find informative.

Original post by laurawatt
Hi, you might find this thread helpful https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6945718 :smile:

Correct thread lol?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by McGinger

This is very inspirational read- I have some posts discouraging others options than medicine, you have actually given a very balanced view. Thank you!
Original post by nexttime
Correct thread lol?

oops :facepalm: edited my post - thanks!
In the worst case scenario that none of your options work and you're okay on the money side of things, a popular option is to study Medicine abroad. Medicine in Bulgaria, at universities such as Varna, Sofia and Plovdiv, are a popular choice. They teach an English course alongside a Bulgarian course and the course fees are in Euros. Varna Medical University is the one I know most about, compared to the other universities, so feel free to ask me about any extra info :smile:)

On a side note: Please don't be disheartened by the fact that you have or you might be rejected from all four choices. I like to say that there's no end to the road to your dream, only branches that take a different route to the main road of your dream. You're trying your best, that's what matters and don't give up, you can do this!!
(edited 3 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending