Anyone here preparing for Medicine Access courses or done a medicine course?

Watch
unknown9472
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hey,

I'm applying to go back to college in September to study Medicine in 2022 hopefully. I'm 21 and I have applied for Access to Medicine in College. I started last week for preparation in September.

I'm looking for advice and tips. As I didn't study Science or Math during my A level period the last time I studied these subjects was in 2015, so I'm trying to learn the whole syllabus from scratch. I bought AQA revision books for each subject and try to study each subject for 2 hours a day. I also plan on doing my UCAT before I go to college and if possible I might do GCSEs in November or July this year if possible. My aim is to get into a medicine course at a UK based university or a university abroad.

I would like to know what you guys are doing/what you did in preparation.
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by unknown9472)
Hey,

I'm applying to go back to college in September to study Medicine in 2022 hopefully. I'm 21 and I have applied for Access to Medicine in College. I started last week for preparation in September.

I'm looking for advice and tips. As I didn't study Science or Math during my A level period the last time I studied these subjects was in 2015, so I'm trying to learn the whole syllabus from scratch. I bought AQA revision books for each subject and try to study each subject for 2 hours a day. I also plan on doing my UCAT before I go to college and if possible I might do GCSEs in November or July this year if possible. My aim is to get into a medicine course at a UK based university or a university abroad.

I would like to know what you guys are doing/what you did in preparation.
Access to Medicine course threads are now located in this forum (https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=185)

Feel free to look through all the threads and discuss with other people in your position.

Note that Access Courses are not universally accepted and it may be easier to re-do A-Levels and GCSEs - just a point to consider.
unknown9472
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I am looking to do an access course in 2021 September but I need to know a few things,

Currently I am trying to spend my whole day relearning Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths from the GCSE curriculum, however someone advised me that I don't have to do study it too much in depth as they teach you everything in the access course? That seems pretty unfeasable to me.

I am also going to redo Maths GCSE, anyone else follwoed the same route I did?
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I am looking to do an access course in 2021 September but I need to know a few things,

Currently I am trying to spend my whole day relearning Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths from the GCSE curriculum, however someone advised me that I don't have to do study it too much in depth as they teach you everything in the access course? That seems pretty unfeasable to me.

I am also going to redo Maths GCSE, anyone else follwoed the same route I did?
As per the posts above, please post Qs re: Access to Medicine in this forum, thank you.
unknown9472
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Looking for inspiration seeing as studying medicine seems very expensive.
ReadingMum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
most people take maintenance loans from the government if UK student
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Looking for inspiration seeing as studying medicine seems very expensive.
Must mature medicine students will end up working before / during their studies.
Kierajade123
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey! I am studying an Access to Medicine course and have two offers to study Medicine at Uni in September 2021. I have already met my conditions for Medicine at Manchester which is the course I have firmed. If you have any questions regarding this route, just ask!
unknown9472
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Kierajade123)
Hey! I am studying an Access to Medicine course and have two offers to study Medicine at Uni in September 2021. I have already met my conditions for Medicine at Manchester which is the course I have firmed. If you have any questions regarding this route, just ask!
Wow, congratulations! My access course starts in September but I'm thinking about studying now I guess, do you think this is a good idea?

Also would you mind sharing your background, it'd be insightful to read about your experience
Kierajade123
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I wouldn’t worry about studying in advance for your access course but I would definitely start studying for UCAT now if you are intending to apply for Medicine or Dentistry in October. Any advice you need on UCAT prep, I’d be happy to give!

I’m almost 22. I studied humanities-based A Levels at school but left during my A2 year because of illness after achieving AAB at AS. My GCSE grades were pretty mediocre (I can list them if it would help any of you) and I re-sat my Maths GCSE this year along with studying my access course. Due to CAG’s I am lucky enough to know (or be 99% certain that the grade I achieved will get me into Manchester) as I already have my mock exams graded by my tutor.

I work part time and am still very fortunate to live at home so I don’t have to worry about rent or other expenses like that. My access course is at The Manchester College and it is not a distance learning qualification.

Any specifics you wanna know about this year, just ask! X
Fish123fish123
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I wouldn’t worry about studying in advance for your access course but I would definitely start studying for UCAT now if you are intending to apply for Medicine or Dentistry in October. Any advice you need on UCAT prep, I’d be happy to give!

I’m almost 22. I studied humanities-based A Levels at school but left during my A2 year because of illness after achieving AAB at AS. My GCSE grades were pretty mediocre (I can list them if it would help any of you) and I re-sat my Maths GCSE this year along with studying my access course. Due to CAG’s I am lucky enough to know (or be 99% certain that the grade I achieved will get me into Manchester) as I already have my mock exams graded by my tutor.

I work part time and am still very fortunate to live at home so I don’t have to worry about rent or other expenses like that. My access course is at The Manchester College and it is not a distance learning qualification.

Any specifics you wanna know about this year, just ask! X
Hi, I’m kind of confused about what I want to do for university, however I’ve been thinking about Medicine for a while it’s just that I never took A level Chemistry and now regret it because I need it to get into medicine. Would you recommend me taking an Access Course, what’s it like difficulty wise, I’ve heard it’s a lot more difficult than a levels because it’s a one year course. Also, would you mind giving some UCAT tips please I would really appreciate it.
Kierajade123
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Fish123fish123)
Hi, I’m kind of confused about what I want to do for university, however I’ve been thinking about Medicine for a while it’s just that I never took A level Chemistry and now regret it because I need it to get into medicine. Would you recommend me taking an Access Course, what’s it like difficulty wise, I’ve heard it’s a lot more difficult than a levels because it’s a one year course. Also, would you mind giving some UCAT tips please I would really appreciate it.
So I would really dedicate some time to making sure that an Access to Medicine course is the right option for you, especially if you’re expecting it to get you into Medicine or Dentistry course at uni. There are only a select few unis that accept access courses and the ones that do on it accept certain accredited courses.

So the main thing that I learned this year is that Access to Medicine courses as a qualification to make up for science-based A Levels at lower grades, aren’t a very good option. If you didn’t do science subjects at all, then they’re great. Also, most unis expect you to have been out of full time education for over three years before starting the access course, so if you’re say 18 or 19, maybe also not a good choice to start one in September. I would just check check check the entry requirements for the courses you wanna apply for at uni. That’s where all the important info is.

I hadn’t studied for quite a while when I started this course, and every access course is structured differently, but I’ve really enjoyed it. It is hard, there is no doubt about that, and you have to work your ass off to do well - but I have found it so much easier than I remember my A Levels being. I’m at the TMC and the teaching style is so good, the tutors know that we’re all adults and have jobs/kids/rent to pay etc, so they treat us with respect and are there to help in any way IF we put the work in of course. It’s one third Maths, Chemistry and Biology. The A-Level grade maths was a massive shock to my system but I’ve gotten the grades I need, so it definitely is possible!!

UCAT: buy a Medify subscription now and get through as many questions as possible between now and your test. Leave the past papers till the last few weeks/ maybe month before as they’re aren’t a huge selection and you’ll flunk them if you haven’t revised the layout etc beforehand. I’d go over to YouTube and watch some of the medics that got really high scores give out their own tips. I did quite well and it was all from pointers that I found on YouTube.

Any other questions, ask away.
unknown9472
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I would really dedicate some time to making sure that an Access to Medicine course is the right option for you, especially if you’re expecting it to get you into Medicine or Dentistry course at uni. There are only a select few unis that accept access courses and the ones that do on it accept certain accredited courses.

So the main thing that I learned this year is that Access to Medicine courses as a qualification to make up for science-based A Levels at lower grades, aren’t a very good option. If you didn’t do science subjects at all, then they’re great. Also, most unis expect you to have been out of full time education for over three years before starting the access course, so if you’re say 18 or 19, maybe also not a good choice to start one in September. I would just check check check the entry requirements for the courses you wanna apply for at uni. That’s where all the important info is.

I hadn’t studied for quite a while when I started this course, and every access course is structured differently, but I’ve really enjoyed it. It is hard, there is no doubt about that, and you have to work your ass off to do well - but I have found it so much easier than I remember my A Levels being. I’m at the TMC and the teaching style is so good, the tutors know that we’re all adults and have jobs/kids/rent to pay etc, so they treat us with respect and are there to help in any way IF we put the work in of course. It’s one third Maths, Chemistry and Biology. The A-Level grade maths was a massive shock to my system but I’ve gotten the grades I need, so it definitely is possible!!

UCAT: buy a Medify subscription now and get through as many questions as possible between now and your test. Leave the past papers till the last few weeks/ maybe month before as they’re aren’t a huge selection and you’ll flunk them if you haven’t revised the layout etc beforehand. I’d go over to YouTube and watch some of the medics that got really high scores give out their own tips. I did quite well and it was all from pointers that I found on YouTube.

Hey Kiera

I started UCAT preparation and I’ll be honest, I’m kind of struggling. How did you prepare for it?
ayeshaarshad180
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi,I am thinking to do Access to medicine course as well. Can you tell me have you applied for access course or not and if you applied which college you choose?I asked from Leicester college ,they said they are accepting only selective colleges access course .However they do accept distance learning Diploma.
ZainZakariyya
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ayeshaarshad180)
Hi,I am thinking to do Access to medicine course as well. Can you tell me have you applied for access course or not and if you applied which college you choose?I asked from Leicester college ,they said they are accepting only selective colleges access course .However they do accept distance learning Diploma.
If you find any that do, please do share. I've also been thinking about this doing an access course thru distance learning.
ayeshaarshad180
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ZainZakariyya)
If you find any that do, please do share. I've also been thinking about this doing an access course thru distance learning.
I am bit confuse after searching a lot .
I am not sure, how good be distance learning
Hehdbie
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hey Kiera

I started UCAT preparation and I’ll be honest, I’m kind of struggling. How did you prepare for it?
Hey Keira,
You should checkout Medify and Youtube channels that work on UCAT preparation.
ZainZakariyya
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

Hi Kiera,
What material/resources/textbooks would you recommend revising before the access course?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (218)
43.6%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (56)
11.2%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (38)
7.6%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (106)
21.2%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (55)
11%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.4%

Watched Threads