The Student Room Group

a-level psychology

hi guys
I'm thinking of taking psych for a level,
I just wanted to know more about the essays.
Are there loads of essays? What skills do you need for them? Is it similar to English essays in any way?
Tysm!
If the school / college you're going to is doing WJEC A level Psychology then there are quite a few essays. But, they aren't as in depth as English essays, and only require conclusions, not intros. There are different types too, AO2, and AO3 essays.
Reply 2
Original post by anon4231
hi guys
I'm thinking of taking psych for a level,
I just wanted to know more about the essays.
Are there loads of essays? What skills do you need for them? Is it similar to English essays in any way?
Tysm!

Hi !
The essays different at AS and A Level. At AS Level the essays are 12 marks and it is split into AO1 (6 marks) and AO3 (6 marks). AO1 being content so the info and AO3 which are the evaluation points similar to strengths and weaknesses. At A Level it is 16 marks, with the same AO1 and AO3 structure for the extra 4 marks things such as historical factors as well as strengths and weaknesses are written. There are 5 essays at AS Level across both papers, and 8 at A Levels depending on which option you choose for paper 3. The skills you need is for AO3 in psychology the evaluation points are written in the PEEL format similar to English PEELS.
Reply 3
Original post by IDK.345
Hi !
The essays different at AS and A Level. At AS Level the essays are 12 marks and it is split into AO1 (6 marks) and AO3 (6 marks). AO1 being content so the info and AO3 which are the evaluation points similar to strengths and weaknesses. At A Level it is 16 marks, with the same AO1 and AO3 structure for the extra 4 marks things such as historical factors as well as strengths and weaknesses are written. There are 5 essays at AS Level across both papers, and 8 at A Levels depending on which option you choose for paper 3. The skills you need is for AO3 in psychology the evaluation points are written in the PEEL format similar to English PEELS.

Some essays can have AO2 which are application essays in which you have to write about a theory for example and apply it to the scenario given in the question and the evaluation points. The evaluation will always be just for the theory and not for the scenario but the scenario can be used as evidence in the PEEL structure for a strength or weakness
Reply 4
Original post by IDK.345
Some essays can have AO2 which are application essays in which you have to write about a theory for example and apply it to the scenario given in the question and the evaluation points. The evaluation will always be just for the theory and not for the scenario but the scenario can be used as evidence in the PEEL structure for a strength or weakness

Thank you so much for this detailed answer!! :smile:
yeah, there's a fair few essays so your time management needs to be good in the exam if you want to get them all down but you'll get better at that with practice. i personally didn't find them too difficult to write, just gotta make sure you're constantly revising your evaluation points especially :yes:
there's some statistics in it but it's very basic maths so as long as you've passed gcse maths you'll be fine.
Reply 6
Original post by anon4231
Thank you so much for this detailed answer!! :smile:

You're welcome ! If you have any other questions feel free to ask :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest