Can't get ucas reference

Watch this thread
This discussion is closed.
username5372662
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I have tried contacting several of my old teachers, tutors and even current but I am not getting any responses but one which told me to ask someone else. I tried contacting them in early December but still nothing.

Is a reference detrimental to my applications and what can I do about this?
B1_2014
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by sjncjdf)
I have tried contacting several of my old teachers, tutors and even current but I am not getting any responses but one which told me to ask someone else. I tried contacting them in early December but still nothing.

You can call up UCAS directly themselves and they will send it to you in a password locked document which only you can access with that password. References act as extra support to your overall application, they can sometimes help in a good way but of course, you would not want a teacher saying you are not hard-working etc. There is not much you can do now if your application has been sent off but if it has not try and contact the school directly?
username5372662
Rep:
(Original post by B1_2014)
You can call up UCAS directly themselves and they will send it to you in a password locked document which only you can access with that password. References act as extra support to your overall application, they can sometimes help in a good way but of course, you would not want a teacher saying you are not hard-working etc. There is not much you can do now if your application has been sent off but if it has not try and contact the school directly?
I have not submitted it yet and I asked my college and they didn't help because I have already left I am transferring unis this year and they gave me one last year but not this year.
B1_2014
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I have not submitted it yet and I asked my college and they didn't help because I have already left I am transferring unis this year and they gave me one last year but not this year.
I don't think UCAS can help you if you have not submitted it yet, it sounds like this may be an issue with your school and you need to somehow get in contact with your teachers, perhaps drop them an email?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Have you spoken to your tutor at your current university?

Very few/almost no universities in the UK will make offers without an academic reference. Some will allow you to apply without a reference but the reference will need to be provided at a later date for an offer to be made.
Admit-One
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I don't think UCAS can help you if you have not submitted it yet, it sounds like this may be an issue with your school and you need to somehow get in contact with your teachers, perhaps drop them an email?
Please read the first post in this thread. It explains what position they are in.

Technically, if you submit an application without a ref, a uni may chose to reject you. In reality, in the vast majority of cases they will assess your application anwyay, then either ask you to provide a ref within a specified timescale, or as part of any offer.

Usually I would advise you to contact your target unis and see if they would be happy with you submitting an app without a ref. However you may now struggle to get a response, (especially from all five), before Jan 29th.

Ultimately if you are having no joy even after chasing your possible refs, I would submit your app without it and keep your fingers crossed that they are ameniable to you arranging one after the fact.
B1_2014
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Admit-One)
Please read the first post in this thread. It explains what position they are in.

Technically, if you submit an application without a ref, a uni may chose to reject you. In reality, in the vast majority of cases they will assess your application anwyay, then either ask you to provide a ref within a specified timescale, or as part of any offer.

Usually I would advise you to contact your target unis and see if they would be happy with you submitting an app without a ref. However you may now struggle to get a response, (especially from all five), before Jan 29th.

Ultimately if you are having no joy even after chasing your possible refs, I would submit your app without it and keep your fingers crossed that they are ameniable to you arranging one after the fact.
My bad won't be involved here again
username5372662
Rep:
update: situation defused (hopefully) I am being emailed the reference used for my 2020 application which can then be emailed separately the unis. Just got to hope they accept it because it's from last year, not this current year.

(Original post by Admit-One)

My bad won't be involved here again
PQ
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
update: situation defused (hopefully) I am being emailed the reference used for my 2020 application which can then be emailed separately the unis. Just got to hope they accept it because it's from last year, not this current year.
If you're applying from a university then there's a very high chance that universities will require a reference from your current place of study.
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by username5372662)
I am in the same situation now, did you get into uni or not. im scared all the people i've emailed have not responded yet
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (193)
42.05%
The paper was reasonable (203)
44.23%
Not feeling great about that exam... (39)
8.5%
It was TERRIBLE (24)
5.23%

Watched Threads