The Student Room Group

MA or PhD

Scroll to see replies

I'm not suggesting you take time off. I am suggesting you go for the route you like now (MA). Then, if --- and only if --- you have a change of heart about research, you take on some work experience in Jordan (if MAs become professors I am sure that professional experience is well regarded for the academic career) and then apply for a PhD, in the UK or elsewhere. Also consider that PhD applications generally take time. So two years is not that long of a wait. It might also be the case that the MA helps you figure out what you want to do research about more precisely, which will help you do a PhD you're actually interested in (or not doing a PhD you seem to hate). Plus, you will start getting to know possible future supervisors and will understand better where to pursue your PhD (again, if you actually develop an interest in it).

If you were interested in a PhD but worried if it was the right choice, I would be giving different advices. But it seems very clear there is something you love (MA) and something that you are really uninterested in (research/PhD). Why forcing you into something you don't like? Also consider that if PhDs will become necessary that's not just for the title, it's because universities want people doing research. If you hate that, you'll hate a good chunk of your future job. So do what you like and then figure the rest out.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by hbawab
I totally understand and respect the work of PhDs to do research and it is crucial for creation of knowledge as you said before. Having said that I observed that many leading universities in the design field are conferring the title of professors to MA holders. I have seen that in many leading universities.

I wouldn't mind being the right hand of a PhD professor in my field and help in research but it feels to me to not be very practical. I mean after all it is a degree in philosophy not in the respective fields of people working on it. For me it doesn't mean much to read a paper in design. I get that nowadays some PhDs are granted for practical work and they are designated as DDes or JD etc.

One other obstacle is that I am applying for the Chevening scholarship from the UK's Foreign Office and they oblige students to go back to their home country for 2 years after the 1 year MA, so if I like the idea of a PhD while doing the MA it won't work because I would have to end up going back to my home country for 2 years.

I think there are few confusions in academic terms going on here. TSR is a mainly UK based forum. In the UK a professor is a very senior academic, as has been said, some 20+ years into an academic career. It is not impossible to be a Professor without a PhD, but it is very rare. The term Professor in US and US influenced academic spheres simply means 'university teacher', but it is not understood in that way in the UK.

Also, the usually term for a doctorate in the UK is PhD, sometime DPhil. It does not mean you have studied philosophy at all. You can get a PhD in any subject at all. We do award doctorates with other names, but they are in the minority and tend to be ancient rather than modern. Most science, design, material etc doctorates are PhDs in the UK, it's just a historic name.
Reply 22
Original post by polscistudent
I'm not suggesting you take time off. I am suggesting you go for the route you like now (MA). Then, if --- and only if --- you have a change of heart about research, you take on some work experience in Jordan (if MAs become professors I am sure that professional experience is well regarded for the academic career) and then apply for a PhD, in the UK or elsewhere. Also consider that PhD applications generally take time. So two years is not that long of a wait. It might also be the case that the MA helps you figure out what you want to do research about more precisely, which will help you do a PhD you're actually interested in (or not doing a PhD you seem to hate). Plus, you will start getting to know possible future supervisors and will understand better where to pursue your PhD (again, if you actually develop an interest in it).

If you were interested in a PhD but worried if it was the right choice, I would be giving different advices. But it seems very clear there is something you love (MA) and something that you are really uninterested in (research/PhD). Why forcing you into something you don't like? Also consider that if PhDs will become necessary that's not just for the title, it's because universities want people doing research. If you hate that, you'll hate a good chunk of your future job. So do what you like and then figure the rest out.

Thank you dear. The thing is that I told a friend who is the dean of a design faculty here a research topic for a PhD proposal and he got more excited than me about it. I think I tend to shoot myself in the foot. Not a great idea to publicize my PhD proposal if I want to end up going for it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending