Umbrellala's Wellness Blog 2021!

Watch this thread
umbrellala
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
It's 2021! :parrot: And with a new year there's the opportunity to set your intentions and goals for the year ahead, which is something I always look forward to. Although, this year is a little different for a lot of us.

Last year, my New Years resolution had the overall aim of pushing me to do more. This year, after the difficulties of the pandemic and the opportunity to reflect, I want to focus on doing less. So, here are my goals!

1. Improve my fitness
During lockdown #2 I started running on the Couch to 5K programme, and ended up loving it! So now that I've completed it I'd love to keep working on it and run a 10K before the end of the year.

The most important thing for me with this goal is not to focus on weight. In the past I've used weight loss as motivation for improving my fitness, and all it did was got me into unhealthy habits and made me feel bad about myself, so I'm ditching the scales and measuring success by how much my body can do rather than its shape. And besides, if you're not allowed to comfort eat during a pandemic then when can you??

2. Get into (and maintain!) a good sleep schedule
Over Christmas I got into the horrible habit of staying up until 3am watching YouTube and then hating myself when I had to get up at 8. I'm unfortunately the kind of person that needs 8hrs sleep a night and it's time I prioritised that instead of self-sabotaging with late-night YouTube spirals

3. Find my rhythm with uni
Only a week into second term I already feel that I'm falling behind, and with the very inconsistent grades I received in first term I'd like to get back on track without running myself into the ground, which is admittedly much easier said than done so I'll be trying out some different approaches throughout 2021

4. Take the BHS Stage 1 Care course
I had to give myself at least one objective goal for this year, and this course is something I've been meaning to do for ages. I did horse riding between the ages of 8 and 15, and picked it back up last summer which was one of the best decisions I've ever made! In fact, I only started running because I wanted to improve my cardio so I wasn't as out of puff when I went riding.
I'd love to get more involved with horses and I'm considering taking a year out after uni just to be a groom and do horsey things, but in order to do that I need to take some courses and learn how to be a good groom in the first place. This will rely a lot on how COVID unfolds for the next year, so fingers crossed

5. Become conversational in another language
I'm most well-known around TSR for doing my degree in Korean, but languages are also a massive hobby of mine and I love learning other ones in my spare time.

I'm torn between French and Italian... French is great because it's the universal language of diplomacy (a field I really want to go into), there's lots of online resources, and I know a few French people I could ask for help. Italian would be great because I plan on going ASAP, and my best friend is Italian so not only would help me out when I'm confused, but would also love to have full conversations with me. And my closest French-speaking friend is also fluent in Italian! Decisions, decisions...

So those are my aims for 2021 :badger:

I've never been more scared to start a new year, as I'm sure is the same for many others, and I feel like a huge damper has been put on my usual optimistic outlook. I suppose we can only hope for a better year, so above all I want to remain kind to myself this year and continue to make the best of it.

A huge thank you to DrawTheLine for creating this project, even writing this post was therapeutic so I'm excited to continue!
If you'd like to write your own, check out the welcome thread here

I'd like to nominate mollypew
Last edited by umbrellala; 1 year ago
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
These are some amazing goals! I tried learning Finnish last year, completed in on Duolingo but after that kind of fell flat on my face with it, it's so hard :lol: hope you have more luck with French/Italian! Tough decision indeed :teehee:
parmezanne
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
i envy anyone who can run :cry2: good luck with your blog!
umbrellala
Rep:
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
These are some amazing goals! I tried learning Finnish last year, completed in on Duolingo but after that kind of fell flat on my face with it, it's so hard :lol: hope you have more luck with French/Italian! Tough decision indeed :teehee:
Wow I don't think I've ver heard of anyone completing a language on Duolingo, that's incredible!! Finnish sounds so different and difficult too, hopefully French/Italian will be easier :lol:
umbrellala
Rep:
(Original post by parmezanne)
i envy anyone who can run :cry2: good luck with your blog!
I certainly couldn't before I did the couch to 5k course, could hardly even run for 90s without getting out of breath!! Thank you <3
BurstingBubbles
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Amazing stuff! Following
DrawTheLine
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by umbrellala)
Wow I don't think I've ver heard of anyone completing a language on Duolingo, that's incredible!! Finnish sounds so different and difficult too, hopefully French/Italian will be easier :lol:
Yeah it took me quite a few months but the course was still in the beta model so it wasn't great tbh. A lot of missing info. Finnish is notoriously difficult :dong:
flaurie
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
It's 2021! :parrot: And with a new year there's the opportunity to set your intentions and goals for the year ahead, which is something I always look forward to. Although, this year is a little different for a lot of us.

Last year, my New Years resolution had the overall aim of pushing me to do more. This year, after the difficulties of the pandemic and the opportunity to reflect, I want to focus on doing less. So, here are my goals!

1. Improve my fitness
During lockdown #2 I started running on the Couch to 5K programme, and ended up loving it! So now that I've completed it I'd love to keep working on it and run a 10K before the end of the year.

The most important thing for me with this goal is not to focus on weight. In the past I've used weight loss as motivation for improving my fitness, and all it did was got me into unhealthy habits and made me feel bad about myself, so I'm ditching the scales and measuring success by how much my body can do rather than its shape. And besides, if you're not allowed to comfort eat during a pandemic then when can you??

Over Christmas I got into the horrible habit of staying up until 3am watching YouTube and then hating myself when I had to get up at 8. I'm unfortunately the kind of person that needs 8hrs sleep a night and it's time I prioritised that instead of self-sabotaging with late-night YouTube spirals

Only a week into second term I already feel that I'm falling behind, and with the very inconsistent grades I received in first term I'd like to get back on track without running myself into the ground, which is admittedly much easier said than done so I'll be trying out some different approaches throughout 2021

I had to give myself at least one objective goal for this year, and this course is something I've been meaning to do for ages. I did horse riding between the ages of 8 and 15, and picked it back up last summer which was one of the best decisions I've ever made! In fact, I only started running because I wanted to improve my cardio so I wasn't as out of puff when I went riding.
I'd love to get more involved with horses and I'm considering taking a year out after uni just to be a groom and do horsey things, but in order to do that I need to take some courses and learn how to be a good groom in the first place. This will rely a lot on how COVID unfolds for the next year, so fingers crossed

I'm most well-known around TSR for doing my degree in Korean, but languages are also a massive hobby of mine and I love learning other ones in my spare time.

I'm torn between French and Italian... French is great because it's the universal language of diplomacy (a field I really want to go into), there's lots of online resources, and I know a few French people I could ask for help. Italian would be great because I plan on going ASAP, and my best friend is Italian so not only would help me out when I'm confused, but would also love to have full conversations with me. And my closest French-speaking friend is also fluent in Italian! Decisions, decisions...

I've never been more scared to start a new year, as I'm sure is the same for many others, and I feel like a huge damper has been put on my usual optimistic outlook. I suppose we can only hope for a better year, so above all I want to remain kind to myself this year and continue to make the best of it.

A huge thank you to DrawTheLine for creating this project, even writing this post was therapeutic so I'm excited to continue!

I love your goals! I started the couch to 5k in lockdown 1, maybe I should give it another go :beard:
umbrellala
Rep:
(Original post by laurawatt)
I love your goals! I started the couch to 5k in lockdown 1, maybe I should give it another go :beard:
Thank you, you should for sure!! It's the only thing keeping me sane at the moment haha
umbrellala
Rep:

Update #1
1. Improving fitness
This one is going alright. Unfortunately there is so much mud around where I live that it's rare that there's a safe opportunity to go running without risking falling flat on my face, so at the moment I'm only able to run once a week. I can really tell how the inconsistency is affecting my times so although I'm pleased that I'm keeping up with it, I'm very much wanting to get back go 3x a week runs!

2. Sleep schedule
Well... this week has been a bit of a fail. Thankfully I've been able to get a good night of sleep over Friday night and I feel like it's the reset I've been needing so onwards and upwards

3. Finding my rhythm with uni
Big progress this week! I managed to stay on top of everything and even managed to get some proper consolidation done which I never normally do until I get to exam periods. I have some extra bits and bobs to do in this upcoming week so I'll be trying my best to continue the trend!

4. BHS course
I won't be able to get back to horsey things until lockdown ends so this one will be taking a backseat for a while

5. French/Italian
I've been doing my research and dipping my toe into the proverbial romance language water, and I'm still just as torn as before. Thanks to a friend's recommendation I've found a great textbook for Italian, but after doing some French learning on the Busuu app, I'm finding myself clicking with French much better... So still no closer on deciding
DrawTheLine
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Hey umbrellala how are you getting on? Hope February has been treating you well
umbrellala
Rep:
Hey umbrellala how are you getting on? Hope February has been treating you well
Hi! February has been a bit of a crazy whirlwind of uni stuff so definitely fallen off the bandwagon a little bit, but it's reading week this week so I'll be getting myself back on track Hopefully I'll be back with an update at the end of next week!
umbrellala
Rep:
Update #2
Hello!
I've been putting off updating this thread for a while because I really wanted to come back with some good progress and feel like I'm making good on the promises I've made to myself this year. As a very goal-orientated person it's hard to realise that you're not making progress as you keep telling yourself that tomorrow will be better and you'll act on what you've been meaning to.

Truthfully though, February has been a tough month for me. I think I started to recognise I was on a bit of a downward spiral even in January because I was struggling to keep on top of running and I was generally inconsistent in everything - some days were great and some were terrible. My biggest coping mechanism is distracting myself by giving myself a lot of work, and I did just that by signing up to do as many things as came my way. Not a good idea, and I think you can tell where this is going! In the run-up to reading week everything felt like it was slipping out of my grasp a bit and all of reading week things were worse than they've been in a while. I think now that my mental health is impacting my ability to do my work it's probably time to do something about it. So perhaps that's what I'll focus on for a while.

Of course I wish I could have done more for my 2021 goals but we're only two months in, and as I wrote in my first post here, 'above all I want to remain kind to myself this year and continue to make the best of it'. This whole section of TSR has been made to support wellness, not bashing yourself for not ticking every goal off the list!

So, I hope everyone is looking after themselves Sending love to everyone struggling, and please don't hesitate to reach out if you need to chat <3
DrawTheLine
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Update #2
Hello!
I've been putting off updating this thread for a while because I really wanted to come back with some good progress and feel like I'm making good on the promises I've made to myself this year. As a very goal-orientated person it's hard to realise that you're not making progress as you keep telling yourself that tomorrow will be better and you'll act on what you've been meaning to.

Truthfully though, February has been a tough month for me. I think I started to recognise I was on a bit of a downward spiral even in January because I was struggling to keep on top of running and I was generally inconsistent in everything - some days were great and some were terrible. My biggest coping mechanism is distracting myself by giving myself a lot of work, and I did just that by signing up to do as many things as came my way. Not a good idea, and I think you can tell where this is going! In the run-up to reading week everything felt like it was slipping out of my grasp a bit and all of reading week things were worse than they've been in a while. I think now that my mental health is impacting my ability to do my work it's probably time to do something about it. So perhaps that's what I'll focus on for a while.

Of course I wish I could have done more for my 2021 goals but we're only two months in, and as I wrote in my first post here, 'above all I want to remain kind to myself this year and continue to make the best of it'. This whole section of TSR has been made to support wellness, not bashing yourself for not ticking every goal off the list!

So, I hope everyone is looking after themselves Sending love to everyone struggling, and please don't hesitate to reach out if you need to chat <3
Being able to recognise this is brilliant, and hopefully March will be brighter and and you'll be able to re-grasp on those important things. When I first thought about doing this wellness project, I decided to make it a year-long thing so that we can all be here for each other through the highs and the lows, and help keep each other going. You've been doing amazingly these first two months, and I'm sure the last 10 will be good for your wellbeing too. I love reading your updates, because you're being genuine and real. I personally can't stand it when people are overly positive, as if nothing ever gets them down and that they never have a bad day because that's just completely untrue and isn't actually helping anybody's wellness. Whilst it's important to celebrate the good things, it's also just as important to recognise and talk about the not-so-good bits. Hope you are able to be kind to yourself in the coming weeks too :hugs:
umbrellala
Rep:
Being able to recognise this is brilliant, and hopefully March will be brighter and and you'll be able to re-grasp on those important things. When I first thought about doing this wellness project, I decided to make it a year-long thing so that we can all be here for each other through the highs and the lows, and help keep each other going. You've been doing amazingly these first two months, and I'm sure the last 10 will be good for your wellbeing too. I love reading your updates, because you're being genuine and real. I personally can't stand it when people are overly positive, as if nothing ever gets them down and that they never have a bad day because that's just completely untrue and isn't actually helping anybody's wellness. Whilst it's important to celebrate the good things, it's also just as important to recognise and talk about the not-so-good bits. Hope you are able to be kind to yourself in the coming weeks too :hugs:
Thank you, that means a lot! Without this project I definitely wouldn't have been able to recognise I was on the wrong path until much further down the line, it's such a great opportunity to reflect and check in with yourself about your progress and how you're feeling. Hope you're also doing well, and I really appreciate the support
umbrellala
Rep:
Report Thread starter 11 months ago

Update #3

Guess who's back! As you'll know from my last post, I took quite a long break to work on my mental health and I'm very happy to report that I'm doing so much better and stepping away from the internet in general has helped me so much Now on to the updates:

1. Improving fitness
I think this one is going okay! I have stopped running, which is a bit of a shame, but I realised I just didn't have the motivation to carry on with it and wanted some change. I have, however, started eating much more healthily than before and I haven't reverted to old dieting habits which is such an achievement for me! I've been horse riding really consistently which has helped me build muscle, and I've been getting my steps in and making sure I'm going outside every day. Now I've got a bit more time I'm thinking about trying some home workouts or maybe even getting a personal trainer in the future

2. Sleep schedule
Um... Let's just say this one has been mixed. I keep having a few weeks of good 8hr nights and then a week of just awful sleep and late nights. I'm in a late night period at the moment. I really don't understand why I stay up so late though, I'm not doing anything of interest other than spending money I don't have on clothes!!

Well this one was actually a huge success! I finished my last exam of the year yesterday so I'm all done and dusted with university for the time being, but in the run-up to and during exams I really kept on top of everything and didn't get behind at all so I'm really happy with that

4. BHS course
As I already mentioned, I've been getting back into riding and thoroughly enjoying it, however BHS courses are still not back up and running so I have no idea when or if this will be possible this year. I'll keep an eye out and see how it goes

5. French/Italian
I've finally decided which language to go for and I've chosen... drum roll please... Italian!!
:banana::banana::banana:
What helped me choose was:
1. Having 2 friends that speak it, both of whom I plan to live with next year and I really don't want to miss out on any gossip! Plus it's the perfect opportunity for total immersion
2. I already have a textbook and a few YouTube channels in Italian that I enjoy
3. Måneskin at Eurovision

You can find my Italian learning thread here
Last edited by umbrellala; 11 months ago
BurstingBubbles
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
x
Hey, how are you doing with your wellbeing goals?
umbrellala
Rep:
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Update #4

Thank you BurstingBubbles for the reminder that it was about time I come back on this thread! Writing out how I'm doing with my wellbeing like this is a really great opportunity for reflection, and it's definitely needed at the moment where I feel I'm at a bit of a low-point. It's been a tough year with lots of ups and downs, but I'm glad that I'm making progress where I can. Here's the update for each of my goals:

1. Improving fitness
I'm giving myself an A* for this one! I've joined my uni's rugby team which has been so much fun. We train twice a week for 2hrs each time, making it great exercise, and I've also met a load of new people through it as well. I'm lucky that rugby is probably the most social of the sports teams and everyone is very accepting and open to everyone, regardless of experience. I've also started going to the gym, and I see a personal trainer every week! It's not something that I ever imagined I'd ever actually get going, but as my body gets used to doing regular exercise it's been getting more and more rewarding and enjoyable. I'm trying to keep up my horse riding alongside uni as much as I can, however I have to travel back home to do so, meaning I'm only able to do it once every fortnight

2. Sleep schedule
My sleep lately has been fairly good, but this is mainly because I am on campus a lot more this term and I'm forced to go to sleep at a reasonable time. It has been slipping slightly recently, but this is mainly due to my anxiety playing up and simply not being able to sleep. I'm not making a conscious effort to sleep well, so there's certainly room for improvement, but otherwise I feel it's going relatively well

Frankly this is going shockingly badly haha I've set myself the very difficult task of trying to do all my modules, prepare for my dissertation, get involved with more societies, exercise regularly, and have a social life. It's a lot to juggle and I feel quite overwhelmed the majority of the time, but with reading week coming up I'm hoping that I'll be able to have a bit of a reset and come back feeling better

4. BHS courses
The likelihood of me being able to complete a course this year is slim-to-none, however I am strongly considering the prospect of doing a horsey year out after I graduate! This would involve getting to learn all of the horse care-related things that I wanted to learn and potentially working as a groom (and maybe even having my own horse for a while!). Nothing is confirmed but it's definitely an option for me

5. Languages
This has been an utter failure, and there's no way I can learn Italian properly by the end of the year. My progress was halted over the summer when I had some scary personal news, and it never really picked up again from there. I did manage to go to Italy with my friend a couple of weeks ago which was amazing but I do regret not being able to communicate with her family better. I suppose that's a goal for the next time I visit!
Last edited by umbrellala; 6 months ago
BurstingBubbles
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
Update #4

Thank you BurstingBubbles for the reminder that it was about time I come back on this thread! Writing out how I'm doing with my wellbeing like this is a really great opportunity for reflection, and it's definitely needed at the moment where I feel I'm at a bit of a low-point. It's been a tough year with lots of ups and downs, but I'm glad that I'm making progress where I can. Here's the update for each of my goals:

1. Improving fitness
I'm giving myself an A* for this one! I've joined my uni's rugby team which has been so much fun. We train twice a week for 2hrs each time, making it great exercise, and I've also met a load of new people through it as well. I'm lucky that rugby is probably the most social of the sports teams and everyone is very accepting and open to everyone, regardless of experience. I've also started going to the gym, and I see a personal trainer every week! It's not something that I ever imagined I'd ever actually get going, but as my body gets used to doing regular exercise it's been getting more and more rewarding and enjoyable. I'm trying to keep up my horse riding alongside uni as much as I can, however I have to travel back home to do so, meaning I'm only able to do it once every fortnight

2. Sleep schedule
My sleep lately has been fairly good, but this is mainly because I am on campus a lot more this term and I'm forced to go to sleep at a reasonable time. It has been slipping slightly recently, but this is mainly due to my anxiety playing up and simply not being able to sleep. I'm not making a conscious effort to sleep well, so there's certainly room for improvement, but otherwise I feel it's going relatively well

Frankly this is going shockingly badly haha I've set myself the very difficult task of trying to do all my modules, prepare for my dissertation, get involved with more societies, exercise regularly, and have a social life. It's a lot to juggle and I feel quite overwhelmed the majority of the time, but with reading week coming up I'm hoping that I'll be able to have a bit of a reset and come back feeling better

4. BHS courses
The likelihood of me being able to complete a course this year is slim-to-none, however I am strongly considering the prospect of doing a horsey year out after I graduate! This would involve getting to learn all of the horse care-related things that I wanted to learn and potentially working as a groom (and maybe even having my own horse for a while!). Nothing is confirmed but it's definitely an option for me

5. Languages
This has been an utter failure, and there's no way I can learn Italian properly by the end of the year. My progress was halted over the summer when I had some scary personal news, and it never really picked up again from there. I did manage to go to Italy with my friend a couple of weeks ago which was amazing but I do regret not being able to communicate with her family better. I suppose that's a goal for the next time I visit!
Wow definitely sounds like you're making good progress on a lot of things! I don't think anyone ever actually hits all of their goals but working towards some is great! Can't wait to hear an update soon on how things are going
LashandaHudson
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
Р

1. Improve my fitness

Gooood luck
Last edited by LashandaHudson; 6 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (23)
38.98%
The paper was reasonable (21)
35.59%
Not feeling great about that exam... (10)
16.95%
It was TERRIBLE (5)
8.47%

Watched Threads