The Student Room Group

Joining the RAF - medical screening questionnaire

Hi,

I have applied to join the RAF but on my medical screening questionnaire I had to declare that I have self harmed twice or more (twice, four years ago, haven't had any 'episodes' or the want to self harm since.) I was told by my recruiter that this would be unlikely to hinder my application to become a driver for the RAF but by the looks of other similar posts like these it seems quite the opposite. What are other people's experiences with these issues?

Thanks
Reply 1
Be aware that there is a TSR Armed Forces Forum in Careers and Jobs, for any further queries.

As an ex-RAF Recruiter myself I can categorically say that your recruiter should not have made any comment about whether it not you are medically fit to join up; he has not seen your records nor is he qualified to do so.

Every medical assessment is made on a case-by-case basis so other people's experiences will be different to yours, and no-one on here can say if you'll be successful or not. The doctor will look at things like the reasons for your self-harm, how many episodes and when it occurred. You'll just have to wait for the assessment to be done.
Reply 2
Original post by Surnia
Be aware that there is a TSR Armed Forces Forum in Careers and Jobs, for any further queries.

As an ex-RAF Recruiter myself I can categorically say that your recruiter should not have made any comment about whether it not you are medically fit to join up; he has not seen your records nor is he qualified to do so.

Every medical assessment is made on a case-by-case basis so other people's experiences will be different to yours, and no-one on here can say if you'll be successful or not. The doctor will look at things like the reasons for your self-harm, how many episodes and when it occurred. You'll just have to wait for the assessment to be done.

just been rejected even without a practical assessment. going to appeal but its not looking hopeful.
Reply 3
Original post by skyescot
just been rejected even without a practical assessment. going to appeal but its not looking hopeful.

They can do that, based on what is your records. There's a pinned post on the main page about Medical Conditions and Appeals; have a read, and take particular note about providing information that is new or different to what has already been seen.
Reply 4
aye i'll have a read of that, cheers

Original post by Surnia
They can do that, based on what is your records. There's a pinned post on the main page about Medical Conditions and Appeals; have a read, and take particular note about providing information that is new or different to what has already been seen.

e

Quick Reply

Latest