Blank
Last edited by paperclip90; 1 month ago
mra1108
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by SS123456)
They do lessons as a year group...my confusion is how is a teacher able to appropriately differentiate for sen learners amongst 120 students. What if some have anxiety and can’t speak up etc.

Surely doing classes of that size is chaotic for the students. I just don’t understand how they could learn effectively? I know I’m only a trainee and shouldn’t be sat here acting like I’ve done thjs for years, I’m really not.

I just don’t quite understand how this number of students would be beneficial for anyone, there’s going to be a ton that fall behind because they’re not getting that focused help. Amongst 120 learners, the barrier of online learning is tough enough this is just, I’m not even sure how to word how confused I feel here. Also no they’re not divided into smaller sets later in the week. This is it.
Wow that's... a large number of students in one online class... most students would probably think that this is madness and unbeneficial... not interactive enough for learning... well at least, all of them can pay attention to the teachers right......??
This is... umm... worrisome, I would say... some students may not be able to catch up...
paperclip90
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by mra1108)
Wow that's... a large number of students in one online class... most students would probably think that this is madness and unbeneficial... not interactive enough for learning... well at least, all of them can pay attention to the teachers right......??
This is... umm... worrisome, I would say... some students may not be able to catch up...
EXACTLY. I feel the same. I know I’m only a trainee but this just doesn’t work. Kids aren’t in a lecture hall. Some are seriously going to fall behind. I find it genuinely concerning especially with how tough learning online is. They have homework etc but surely most of the learning needs to be through groups of 30 max. Just needed somewhere to vent this weirdness.
mra1108
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
EXACTLY. I feel the same. I know I’m only a trainee but this just doesn’t work. Kids aren’t in a lecture hall. Some are seriously going to fall behind. I find it genuinely concerning especially with how tough learning online is. They have homework etc but surely most of the learning needs to be through groups of 30 max. Just needed somewhere to vent this weirdness.
Have you tried discussing this with other teachers about what might the outcome will be? Because for sure majority will have their scores...

If I were a teacher, I would add a private 1-1 chat (student-teachers) so students can catch up by asking questions without having to share to the whole 120 group, because some students will probably get embarrassed...
paperclip90
Rep:
?
Have you tried discussing this with other teachers about what might the outcome will be? Because for sure majority will have their scores...

If I were a teacher, I would add a private 1-1 chat (student-teachers) so students can catch up by asking questions without having to share to the whole 120 group, because some students will probably get embarrassed...
I’m looking at how many students haven’t even handed in their work. Pretty shocking🤔
mra1108
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’m looking at how many students haven’t even handed in their work. Pretty shocking🤔
ooopf that's going to impact the school...
paperclip90
Rep:
?
ooopf that's going to impact the school...
I imagine it will. But can you blame students. They’re probably struggling
mra1108
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I imagine it will. But can you blame students. They’re probably struggling
But you can't just always blame them... well for some you can if they have the habit, however other students, they might be struggling as you said due to current situation. Who knows if a student is undertaking a challenge with their mental health, insufficient requirements of technology, or something else that could effect their online learning experience
Aminah T
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
They do lessons as a year group...my confusion is how is a teacher able to appropriately differentiate for sen learners amongst 120 students. What if some have anxiety and can’t speak up etc.

Surely doing classes of that size is chaotic for the students. I just don’t understand how they could learn effectively? I know I’m only a trainee and shouldn’t be sat here acting like I’ve done thjs for years, I’m really not.

I just don’t quite understand how this number of students would be beneficial for anyone, there’s going to be a ton that fall behind because they’re not getting that focused help. Amongst 120 learners, the barrier of online learning is tough enough this is just, I’m not even sure how to word how confused I feel here. Also no they’re not divided into smaller sets later in the week. This is it.
What year group do you teach?

It's not normal for a trainee to teach that many students in one go
mra1108
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Plus I'm as well having troubles of sending even a picture for proof of assignment. I'm an A-level student and I have limited access to the internet as well lols

But you can't just always blame them... well for some you can if they have the habit, however other students, they might be struggling as you said due to current situation. Who knows if a student is undertaking a challenge with their mental health, insufficient requirements of technology, or something else that could effect their online learning experience
paperclip90
Rep:
?
Yeah no I know I said “can you blame them” as in it’s not their fault lol
mra1108
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah no I know I said “can you blame them” as in it’s not their fault lol
Oh sorry, I misread it Lols!
paperclip90
Rep:
?
(Original post by Aminah T)
What year group do you teach?

It's not normal for a trainee to teach that many students in one go
Y10
bluebeetle
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

That does sound odd.

You could always ask your mentor why this is the system the school has settled on? My bet is that teachers are needed for other responsibilities and so can't teach their full timetables. Are students able to get individual feedback from teachers on submitted work?
username1799249
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Differentiation can be very subtle. When I was training, the impression I got of differentiation was that it was about different students doing different stuff e.g. lower ability kids doing easy things and higher ability kids doing hard things. Four years on, this is not what differentiation is at all. Every kid in the class knows if they are sat on the blue table what this means.

For me, differentiation is done at lots of levels but in terms of what the kids are doing - they are all doing the same regardless of ability. You can differentiate in your questioning. You can ask closed questions to lower ability students and more open questions to higher abilities, or focus more on the why for HA.

Differentiation is also in how you explain the work. For HA classes, I will give them the work, tell them what to do and let them get on with it. For LA classes I will model an answer, demonstrating how to upload assignments and writing examples of what I am expecting.

And lastly, differentiation is in what I expect form my students. For my LA classes, I am looking for basic sentence construction and picking up on minor spelling mistakes. For HA classes I am checking to see if they have done the extension tasks and that they have written in depth. And that comes back to them in differentiated marking where students get individualised comments.

Of course once they are engaged in their own work, you can check on individual students to provide additional support to SEN or push HA.

So yes - it is entirely possible to teach 120 students in one go. But at no point do they all have to be doing different tasks.
Last edited by username1799249; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (459)
51.34%
No (435)
48.66%

Watched Threads