anaindiemood
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
If a group of children have a mean score of 108 and the variance is 169. What range would you expect 95% of the children to score within?
Theloniouss
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Do you know what variance is? Is there any more context for this question?
anaindiemood
Rep:
?
(Original post by Theloniouss)
Do you know what variance is? Is there any more context for this question?
Literally no more context that’s the whole question!
arwaisfailing
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
do you know what sort of distribution this is?
anaindiemood
Rep:
?
(Original post by arwaisfailing)
do you know what sort of distribution this is?
Under a normal distribution
arwaisfailing
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
okay great, so do you know where to use this info in ur graphical calculator?
anaindiemood
Rep:
?
okay great, so do you know where to use this info in ur graphical calculator?
Unfortunately not😬
old_engineer
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by anaindiemood)
If a group of children have a mean score of 108 and the variance is 169. What range would you expect 95% of the children to score within?
To answer this question you probably have to assume that students' scores are normally distributed. You also have to guess whether the 95% of students means that 95% of students will score <= a particular score, or >= a particular score, or whether the 95% is supposed to be symmetrically arranged either side of the mean. I think the last of those options is most likely, in which case, the 5% of students not included in the central 95% will be divided equally between lower and upper tails of 2.5% each. What you then need to know is that, for a normal distribution, an upper tail of 2.5% starts 1.96 standard deviations above the mean, with similar reasoning for the lower tail. You will find these and similar % figures in a table of percentage points for the normal distribution, contained in textbooks and A level formula. booklets.
arwaisfailing
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Unfortunately not😬
okay so using a graphical calculator, go into the STATS section
then click F5 for DIST (distribution)
then click F1 for NORM (normal distribution)
then for this question, you need Ncd (normal cumulative distribution)

for all of this, if you have or don’t have any values in the table that shows, it makes no difference (so ignore & just follow what i’ve said above)

is this making sense? i want to help you guide urself to the answer rather than giving it to u straight so it’s helps a bit more, sorry if anything sounds patronising!!
arwaisfailing
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
really sorry, i didn’t read the question properly, pls click InvN, NOT Ncd
anaindiemood
Rep:
?
okay so using a graphical calculator, go into the STATS section
then click F5 for DIST (distribution)
then click F1 for NORM (normal distribution)
then for this question, you need Ncd (normal cumulative distribution)

for all of this, if you have or don’t have any values in the table that shows, it makes no difference (so ignore & just follow what i’ve said above)

is this making sense? i want to help you guide urself to the answer rather than giving it to u straight so it’s helps a bit more, sorry if anything sounds patronising!!
Not at all! I appreciate your help so much! However my calculator isn’t like that. When I go onto the distribution setting it comes up with a list of normal PD, normal CD, inverse normal, binomial PD etc...
arwaisfailing
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
that’s okay, InvN just means inverse normal so just use that one
arwaisfailing
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
try plugging in ur values into that inverse normal section and tell me what u do, and i’ll lyk if your answer matches mine
arwaisfailing
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by old_engineer)
To answer this question you probably have to assume that students' scores are normally distributed. You also have to guess whether the 95% of students means that 95% of students will score <= a particular score, or >= a particular score, or whether the 95% is supposed to be symmetrically arranged either side of the mean. I think the last of those options is most likely, in which case, the 5% of students not included in the central 95% will be divided equally between lower and upper tails of 2.5% each. What you then need to know is that, for a normal distribution, an upper tail of 2.5% starts 1.96 standard deviations above the mean, with similar reasoning for the lower tail. You will find these and similar % figures in a table of percentage points for the normal distribution, contained in textbooks and A level formula. booklets.
you could also use the ‘central’ function on the calculator that will figure out the values on either side for you i think ur way is also correct, but just v complicated haha
anaindiemood
Rep:
?
try plugging in ur values into that inverse normal section and tell me what u do, and i’ll lyk if your answer matches mine
Hahhaa honestly the calculator confusion is making this a lot more complex than it needs to be I’m struggling🤣🤣
arwaisfailing
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hahhaa honestly the calculator confusion is making this a lot more complex than it needs to be I’m struggling🤣🤣
aw okay, tell me what you know and what ur unsure about
anaindiemood
Rep:
?
aw okay, tell me what you know and what ur unsure about
I’m just not really sure which values I’m meant to be typing in to each section of the calculator!
arwaisfailing
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
okay so,
data : variable (it’s always this)

tail: central (as the question does not say top 95% or bottom 95%, so you can assume it’s just the middle 95%)

area: 0.95 (says 95% in question)

standard deviation symbol: 13 (this is the square root of variance, so in this case, 13)

mean symbol: 108 (in question)

really hoping ur calculator looks similar to mine and this makes sense!
Last edited by arwaisfailing; 1 month ago
anaindiemood
Rep:
?
okay so,

tail: central (as the question does not say top 95% or bottom 95%, so you can assume it’s just the middle 95%)

standard deviation symbol: 13 (this is the square root of variance, so in this case, 13)

When you first go on the calculator and select a mode is it the distribution mode?
anaindiemood
Rep:
?
okay so,

Ok I think I finally got it! Thanks so much for your help🥰🥰
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling being back in school?

Happy (38)
25.33%
Unhappy (41)
27.33%
Conflicted (71)
47.33%

Watched Threads