The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL & Commuting - Would this be viable?

Hi!

I am a current Y12 student and I have started to think about my options for university. I would like to study English Literature. My college has asked me to consider Oxford and Cambridge (as I am a high-achiever), but I believe that UCL may be a better option for me.

I live in a commuter town on the Surrey/London border and it would take me just over an hour to travel from London to UCL. For personal reasons, I don't feel as if I would be able to leave home. My family need me.

I help to look after elderly family members. They have promised to pay me a fair hourly wage (which is agreed in writing), in addition to flexible hours that would work around my university schedule. Thus, I wouldn't need to find a part-time job.

I have other universities on my back-up list, namely: King's College, St Mary's, Royal Holloway and University of Surrey.

My parents agree with my decision, although are worried that I will miss out on having a typical social life at university. Hopefully, I will be okay if I make an effort to meet others when on campus :smile:

Anyways, I was wondering if any current UCL students think that this situation would be viable? I want to know as much as possible so I can make informed decisions when they are called for.

Thanks!
Original post by Anonymous
Hi!

I am a current Y12 student and I have started to think about my options for university. I would like to study English Literature. My college has asked me to consider Oxford and Cambridge (as I am a high-achiever), but I believe that UCL may be a better option for me.

I live in a commuter town on the Surrey/London border and it would take me just over an hour to travel from London to UCL. For personal reasons, I don't feel as if I would be able to leave home. My family need me.

I help to look after elderly family members. They have promised to pay me a fair hourly wage (which is agreed in writing), in addition to flexible hours that would work around my university schedule. Thus, I wouldn't need to find a part-time job.

I have other universities on my back-up list, namely: King's College, St Mary's, Royal Holloway and University of Surrey.

My parents agree with my decision, although are worried that I will miss out on having a typical social life at university. Hopefully, I will be okay if I make an effort to meet others when on campus :smile:

Anyways, I was wondering if any current UCL students think that this situation would be viable? I want to know as much as possible so I can make informed decisions when they are called for.

Thanks!

Hi there!

I am glad that Surrey is one of your backup questions. If you have any questions I can answer them from a student perspective, I am a second year psychology student.

There will be so many students in the same position as you, wanting to stay at home for personal reasons or other reasons that suitable for them so please don't feel like you're alone. However, it is also completely normal to feel or others feel as though you will be missing out on the social life. I would recommend looking at what societies and clubs the university has, this way you can get involved and also make friends :smile: for example here at Surrey we have over 100+ societies and clubs available for you to join. As you said you are willing to make the effort to make friends and with that attitude you will 100% make friends and have an amazing university experience :smile:

I hope I could be of some help!

Becca
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
yeah its viable but social life at university is great for one particular reason which is that you don't really have to make an effort normally. you live with people, see people in class/at clubs and are surrounded by people you could be good friends with without having to move much

of course, all of that isn't the case if you're going to live at home and its certainly not the case if there are lockdown-type arrangements next year which you might need to consider. you'll be able to hang around on campus between classes to spend time with people but the effort to do stuff after hours like clubs/parties will be quite significant

that said, if social life isn't two 1/2 priority then you can certainly survive. most london students end up commuting quite a lot anyway and you'll certainly save a lot of money. plus, if you know you know: community might be the only real option for you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending